Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TKA

Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?

I want to know why they changed the line up for Friday the 22nd I have been waiting for this movie forever! It's not scheduled anytime soon either, anyone know what's up?

Edited by: TKA on Apr 21, 2011 12:33 PM

I dont remember it being on the schedule when I printed it out. What time was it supposed to be on? Not one of Doris' best, but I can understand your frustration if you were looking forward to it.......

Thanks for answering it was suppose to be on at 4:30 PM EST it is listed in my Now Playing guide for April

They changed the lineup for Friday, April 22 for the sheer sake of keeping movie fans guessing about what is going on here in this Wonderful place. While you are sorting it all out, perhaps you would like to buy some DVDs. You can of course now find out what to buy and how much it will cost you at TCM.COM by going to the weekly schedule of movies, *which is presented for this specific purpose of inducing you to buy, buy, and buy until you drop dead from exhaustion.* Just click on an entry in this newly designed "schedule" (at least, this is what it is being called) and find out how to spend some money. Maybe Leonard Maltin can also give you some tips on this.

In the olden days, when the schedule was presented to movie viewers for the specific purpose of planning their future movie viewing and printing it out with a nominal investment in printing paper, rather than for trying to get them to buy, buy, and buy some more, it was very satisfactory. You can understand, of course, that the pressing need for agressive marketing preempts the need for satisfying the fans' needs for a really useful and efficient planning of their movie viewing.

musikone

Al is in Wonderland!

where things are being done for *marketing* purposes

Edited by: musikone on Apr 21, 2011 1:34 PM

Oh, I see. I dont get Now Playing, I just print out the schedule from the website when the month changes. I imagine the magazine is printed many months in advance, so it's hard to say what happened. Hopefully it'll be on again in the future. I think it's an MGM film so they should have access to it. It doesnt seem to be shown much though. I cant remember the last time it's been on or if its ever been on!

I thought that was the purpose of me subscribing to NP so we could plan what we watch and tape in advance!LoL Oh well I will watch for it later. It has been forever since it was on I'm thinking late 90ies or early 2000 same with About Mrs Leslie another probably not the best Robert Ryan but I liked it! I wish the would play it soon as well.

Thanks now I know why I'm working so much! Not to pay the bills but search all the movies, and see which dvd's to buy!!!LoL Speaking of work got to get ready to go............Have a Happy Easter All..............:0)

TKA, just ignore musikone. SInce you are new, you will soon see he seques every conversation into a complaint about the board, with some crazy theory each time, such as the one where he told you the change was done deliberately to keep people guessing. If someone here talked about the sun coming up bright and beautiful this morning, he would likely say, "Well, it was planned by someone who wasn't connected to this new board design."

Let's just say that anything that musikone says should never be taken as fact. He just likes to rant and rave, facts be damned....sort of the Donald Trump of this message board.

If the film was changed, it is likely that they weren't able to get it at the last moment for any number of reasons...but none of them would be about making you buy a DVD.

> {quote:title=TKA wrote:}{quote}

> I want to know why they changed the line up for Friday the 22nd I have been waiting for this movie forever! It's not scheduled anytime soon either, anyone know what's up?

The thing you need to remember that, like every other channel, TCM's schedule is subject to change. Even though that film has been shown a before, it's possible that some rights issue cropped and the distributor wouldn't allow them to run it again. Things like that happen now and then. Despite what others may think, TCM does not yank films off the schedule just to mess with the viewers.

Thanks for taking time to respond, I knew they were not just being mean, I was just disappointed, I know schedules change to when they decide to dedicate a Special day for someone who has recently passed like Elizabeth Taylor on the 10th. I love TCM I am a nut for old movies, so thanks to you and filmlover.

Oh. I thought you really wanted to know.

At McDonald's. The National Guard was directing traffic.

I think. It was 1965, a thousand years ago.

There was also a song with that title,by the Trampps, I believe, that was about the NYC blackout of 1977 (which I went through)

On that day in November 1965, I was watching MOTHRA on WABC's 430 Movie. :)

Yes. It was a great idea for a movie, but the script blew it. I do vaguely remember the event, but luckily I wasnt in the area (it would've been fun as I was a kid back then........) How long WERE the lights out? I cant remember........

I saw it a couple of times in the theater when I was young and parts of it are fun and parts are tedious (the mistaken identity sequence on the couch late in the movie just isn't funny enough -- and you can see Doris trying hard to make it work). I like seeing the parts set in Grand Central Terminal and out on the streets of late 1960s New York.

I too was looking forwarding to a time-delay recording today while at work and I saw this morning before leaving the house it's been replaced by the equally patience-testing Tunnel of Love -- in this case Richard Widmark simply wasn't good casting for light comedy.

Oh well, someday it will roll around on the schedule! I hope!

I saw this one when it first came out and found it to be a very stupid movie and unworthy of Day's talents. I'd rate this movie next to Caprice as one of Day's worse films.

Having lived through both the 1965 and 1977 NYC blackouts, one fine, the other violent, I would LOVE to see this movie. Please re-schedule!

Yeah, Caprice wasn't her best movie. But I'd still love to see Where Were You When the Lights Went Out simply because it's the only one of hers that I haven't seen! I'm sure it will be good to watch at least once.

Richard Widmark simply wasn't good casting for light comedy

Who can we get for this? Glenn Ford? How about this young Lemmon? I know! What about that guy who pushes old ladies down the stairs?

If there's a way to replace WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE LIGHTS WENT OUT and not improve the schedule, this is surely it!

I thought so too, oh well maybe they will show it soon. I remember seeing it when I was around 8 or 9 maybe I just like Doris Day, I wouldn't mind seeing Midnight Lace as well.

I too print out the monthly schedule from the website. What a mess they've made with the new format, so much wasted space (& paper). You'd think that if they were going to shrink the size of the font they would put more info in, rather than less. Intelligent supervision badly needed in this department.