Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TKA

Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?

In addition to the NYC blackout in the summer of '77 and the resultant looting, 1977 was also the summer of the "Son of Sam". Very eventful. NYC at its worst.

Edited by: finance on Apr 23, 2011 1:12 PM

I recently caught Caprice on FMC and what a boring movie...and Doris Day is so attractive, but why did they choose that wig for her?

I watched the movie with Widmark and it was weird to see him in a light comedy like that, although I love his voice. Maybe they couldn't get Dan Dailey on loan from Fox?? Did Widmark have a mustache also? Doris Day had a career where she was the victim of some bad and/or cheesy scripts.

Glenn Ford was originally to have co-starred with Doris Day in "The Tunnel of Love" but for some reason those plans fell through. With respect to "Where Were You......", it was actually one of the bigger box-office successes in the summer of 1968, taking in much more than the combined total grosses of Miss Day's two previous films, "Caprice" and "The Ballad of Josie". At NYC's Radio City Music Hall, it played for 6 weeks, taking in over 1.3 million and breaking several records in it's first weeks including an all-time record breaking opening week of $ 278,000 and more than 135,000 paid attendees. I saw it at the Hall, after standing in line for more than two hours in the August heat. I was 15 at the time and found the whole thing very amusing. It may have been due to the fact that with more than 6,000 in the audience, some were bound to find it funny. When Miss Day's name came on the screen during the opening credits, the entire theatre broke into loud applause and there was applause at the film's conclusion. It is hardly in a league with Miss Day's better comedies and I never found ti quite as amusing when viewing it on television or video tape but with a large crowd, it was easy enough to get caught up in the comedy and to join in. As for "Caprice"!!! The less said the better!

If I ever win the lottery (where have I heard that before)? No really I would love to have a huge movie screen and be be able to watch films like we use too! Thanks for the the response on wwywtlwo, I know she has had better movies, I just remember enjoying this one when I was a kid.