Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KUNSISARAH

What is your favorite SCARY movie

"The Exorcist". No question. Done.

I first saw *King Kong* when I was 8, and it scared me quite a bit. About a year or so later, I saw *The Attack of the Crab Monsters* in a theater. Every time a giant crab appeared, the kid behind me would grab the back of my neck, and squeeze it. That was frightening. As an adult, few scary movies actually scare me. The original *Alien* did - rather well!

Movies that scared me when I first saw them...PSYCHO; THE KILLER SHREWS; THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL; THE BIRDS; STRAIGHT-JACKET; NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD; FRIDAY THE 13th; HALLOWEEN; TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE.

For more sophisticated palates, I recommend THE INNOCENTS; THE HAUNTING and THE OTHERS.

Two that scared me as a kid were House on Haunted Hill and The Ghost an Mr. Chicken - which made me laugh as well. As an adult, the first time I saw The Haunting I got the willies.

But, I think my favorite scary movie is The Bride of Frankenstein. It's not really scary but still tops my list.

Werewolf of London on a late night showing on TV. I was a kid. Very freaky makeup.

The movie Them. First saw it as a kid on late night tv. I knew nothing about it at all. The opening moments with the little girl, the trilling sound in the night, the finding of the shopkeepers body, and finally the mysterious death of the police office. I have never had any movie effect me like that. I still enjoy watching it regularly.

It will be on TCM in an hour and I'll be watching. It's a big favorite of mine as well and a great rememberance for James Arness.

Edited by: wouldbestar on Jun 9, 2011 7:00 PM

I'm going to drive people crazy with THEM! Every time it's referenced, I have to comment. It's one of the best horror-ish films, THE best giant bug story, and features a loveable cast of B-level stars: The late Mr. Arness, the wonderful James Whitmore.

The original question is tough to answer. ISLAND OF LOST SOULS gives me the shivers more than just about anything. The Val Lewton suspense films are a little different. The brilliant INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN is fantasy. But is it scary? JAWS set my heart racing like no other movie has.

But the question, I believe, was "favorite." I'll take FRANKENSTEIN. The sequel is at least is good. Some later films are better produced. But this, the model for so many subsequent horror films, is everything the genre should be. In some ways, it's the one that started it all. BIG FRANK!

Nosferatu ('22) is tops, it does it for me every time!!!!! It's just SO creepy and otherworldly! Of the Universal horrors, Werewolf of London is a fave, because it has a strange quality all its own too. Also can't get enough of the Chaney Phantom of the Opera. Oh, and I love the Val Lewton Cat People!!!

Speaking of Nosferatu, here's a cool rock music video with Nosferatu visuals that I found, the guy also did a great vid with Chaney's The Penalty as the framework.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHFeEO01gDQ

Redriver, I agree--THEM! is a very special scary movie.I'll never forget the first time i stumbled across it on TV--I expected corny, and got scary instead, really high quality. And thanks for jogging my memory, Island of Lost Souls is truly scary.

*The Monkey's Paw a 1948 film* ..supposedly a lost film that scared the b..g..uzes out of me as a child, Of course my older sister just had to wake me in the middle of the night to see this one! When the last wish is granted and the mangled dead son comes back and is knocking at the door WOW! I could not look and hid in the cushions of the chair behing my sister..now I would love to share this classic with friends .I wish TCM could show it.

Scary movie? Well, this isn't a horror film, but it's the first one to come to mind. Does anyone remember "When a Stranger Calls" with Carol Kane? Anyone who has been a babysitter can relate to this one. The first time I saw it I could not get it out of my mind.

Terrenc e.

Thre are so many that to say only one isnt easy and leaves so many behind. The word favorite and not most frightening helps a lot. Probably the most interesting and unusual horror film of them all is BLACK SUNDAY with Barbara Steele. When you see it for the first time it is amazingly different and bizarre. It creates an atmosphere of darkness. HORROR HOTEL is about as good. The european early sixties horror films are the most satisfying ones of all today because they are not as creaky and dated as the earlier hollywood films but were still made when great pictures were the norm and were also in widescreen which helps. Tell me that CASTLE of BLOOD isn't fabulous. I am saying this even though I am a huge Bela Lugosi fan. Among american directed films THE SHINING is wonderful and I almost put it on top! Remember the question was favorite and not best movie!

I am glad to see that someone else remembers *Black Sunday*. I saw that film a lot on late night tv. A lot of that movie really stuck in my mind ( from when I was a kid in the 60's). Many years passed before I saw it again. A few years ago TCM did show it at least once. I looked around on the internet for a dvd, it took awhile but I got a copy from Argentina, it has several language tracks besides English and apparently is a complete version. Some are shorter versions, I don't remember if TCM had the full length one. And I have read that many film makers have high regard for *Black Sunday*, it is often imitated.

HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL scared me when I was a kid and saw in during its original release. Even that silly skeleton made me crawl under my seat! However, my vote for scariest film is EXORCIST 3. I was either creeped-out or on edge for the entire running time of the film!

For me it would be THE OMEN. I wouldn't want to see this one without one of three things - a strong guy with me, a security blanket, or a priest! LOL

Tough question, because there have actually been several movies that scared me very bad for different reasons. The Universal frankenstein movies are better every time i see them, timeless -but were always more disturbing than scary. I remember as a child, crying when the monster would be destroyed.

Scary takes a little more explanation. The very first movie i ever saw in theatre was Alien, and damn! I was grabbing my daddies hand the whole time! Not too long after that i saw John Carpenter's the Thing, with a friend, but i didn't have any one to hold onto that time.

Later in the 80's "Dreamscape" came out. The armagedon scene with the burnt up children in the closet has haunted me all my life. I am middle aged now, but still can not sleep in a room with an open closet. For weeks after i saw that movie i was so traumatized that i had to sleep on the livingroom couch. That is how bad it scared me. But keep it in context too, we were in the late years of the cold war with the USSR, Reagan was making tough foreign policy, and i was feared to my core that we all were going to go up in a blaze of nuclear glory. I have been clinging to my guns and religion ever since! :)

Years later, i remember seeing The Ring. I thought it was going to be about some peice of cursed jewelry, i never fathomed that the ring was that last halo of light an unwanted child saw at the bottom of a well as the lid was placed over it. When i left the theatre, it was EMPTY. I drove all the way home, streets EMPTY! It was so sureal, i was wondering if maybe i had actually died in that near-miss colision from earlier that day, and was some lost ghost wandering the highway. That was an incredible experience to take back from a movie.

But Alien, the Thing, Dreamscape, The Ring... all of those are about shock value and the context of when i veiwed them. Scared the hell out of me, and left an impression, but they don't still hold the same value when i see them now.

For a movie that continues to get more creepy every time i see it: The Shining, with Jacky boy! It is just too plausible. Most of us have probably brushed shoulders with Jack plenty of times, or even flt like we might become him. Worse yet, we might even like it! Damn scary scenario for an adult!

On the side, i used to have a vhs recording of The Shining i made during a blizzard in Denver. It had the weather warnings running across the bottom of the screen. Priceless! But i accidentally recorded over it, go figure! :)

Well, the scariest movie I've ever seen is no other than The Exorcist!

But my favorite is Bride OF The Monster, Lugosi's last, and probably Ed Woods best, but it's so stupid and that's why it's so good!

By the way, has anyone ever seen an Ed Wood movie on TCM? I've never seen one on TCM, but I know they're worth playing!

I will second Exorcist 3. Very creepy movie, especially the first time viewing it. [REC], spanish version was also very creepy. I am really looking forward to Thing (prequel).

TC M Underground used to show *BRIDE OF THE MONSTER* and *PLAN 9* on a regular basis, about three or four years ago. Good stuff . . .