Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

To TCMWebAdmin:

Please stop playing silent movies, foreign movies, moves that have too much sex (should be on HBO), which is very disgusting and should not be played on cable television even though you show these movies late at night. You have changed your movies so much we are getting tired of TCM because of all that we have posted here, but we are paying for trash. Just look what you have scheduled on Easter Sunday out of all days, just horrible.

9:00 PM Jesus Christ Superstar (1973)

Rock singers reenact the Passion of the Christ.

Cast: Ted Neeley, Carl Anderson, Yvonne Elliman. Dir: Norman Jewison.

C-107 mins, TV-PG,

10:00 PM Godspell (1973)

Contemporary hippies relive the story of Christ's ministry and crucifixion.

Cast: Victor Garber, David Haskell, Lynne Thigpen. Dir: David Greene.

C-102 mins, TV-G,

12:00 AM The Godless Girl (1929)

A young couple's flirtation with atheism leads to disaster.

Look at the rating for some of these movies!

What ever happened to classic movies? We have written our cable provider and complained.

There are TCM-hosted tea parties--and then there are Paul-hosted Tea Parties. Based upon merit, it is virtually impossible to avoid getting them confused :-).

musikone

Al is in Wonderland!

where things are *never* what they seem to be

I am relatively new to classic films, and I've just started to watch some silents and I have really enjoyed them. Buster Keaton's *The Cameraman* is hilariously funny and a new favorite of mine. I certainly hope TCM continues to show silents and foreign films in the future. Silents are part of our cultural heritage, and foreign films give us a glimpse of other cultures and viewpoints, and the shared universal human experience. When I watch many foreign films, I'm struck at how much I have in common with the characters on the screen regardless of their language, religion etc. If I were to make any request of TCM it would be to show more foreign films, not fewer.

sheri10,

Have you ever actually watched a major Silent film, like *THE BIG PARADE?* I get really ticked off at people who don't, make no effort to even watch these movies, than have the nerve to complain about them.

*THE GODLESS GIRL* is a magnificent movie. As good or better than anything De Mille made during the sound era. Very powerful stuff. It will blow you away! Ratings are also probably not based on the version that TCM plays, with the fabulous Carl Davis score. Because you can't get that version on DVD. Although, I haven't looked at the ratings.

Death to the Talkies!!!!! Here is a link to an interesting site:

http://forgetthetalkies.com/

> {quote:title=sheri10 wrote:}{quote}

> To TCMWebAdmin:

> Please stop playing silent movies, foreign movies, moves that have too much sex (should be on HBO), which is very disgusting and should not be played on cable television even though you show these movies late at night. You have changed your movies so much we are getting tired of TCM because of all that we have posted here, but we are paying for trash. Just look what you have scheduled on Easter Sunday out of all days, just horrible.

>

> 9:00 PM Jesus Christ Superstar (1973)

> Rock singers reenact the Passion of the Christ.

>

>

>

> Cast: Ted Neeley, Carl Anderson, Yvonne Elliman. Dir: Norman Jewison.

>

> C-107 mins, TV-PG,

>

> 10:00 PM Godspell (1973)

> Contemporary hippies relive the story of Christ's ministry and crucifixion.

>

>

>

> Cast: Victor Garber, David Haskell, Lynne Thigpen. Dir: David Greene.

>

> C-102 mins, TV-G,

>

> 12:00 AM The Godless Girl (1929)

> A young couple's flirtation with atheism leads to disaster.

>

> Look at the rating for some of these movies!

> What ever happened to classic movies? We have written our cable provider and complained.

You wrote your cable provider to complain? With what, ink and quill? Oh please! If you don't like it, change the channel. Or, instead of complaining about the disgusting images on your screen after midnight, turn the TV off and do the grown up with your partner.

I actually am looking forward to Sunday's line up. I fear that if enough people like this poster in America have their way, our entire society will be censored beyond belief.

Are foreign movies any movies not in English or just movies filmed outside of the USA?

Since most of our Great Hollywood film directors from the Golden Era were born outside the USA and could barely speak English--maybe those "foreign directors" should go on your list too!

Directors like:

Michael Curtiz--"Casablanca" & "Mildred Pierce"

Billy Wilder--"Sunset Boulevard", "Double Indemnity", "Some Like It Hot", "The Apartment" etc, etc

And our personal "foreign director" favorite Alfred Hitchcock--he was born in England, his parents were Irish and Cockney--"Psycho", "The Birds", "Rebecca", --and I guess we'd have to count all those films he made in England as really being foreign too

"The Man Who Knew Too Much"

"The Lady Vanishes"

"39 Steps" etc etc

Now Let's go a step forward--maybe we need to look at all the actors who were not born in the USA --they're foreign too, aren't they?

Ingrid Bergman

Greta Garbo

Cary Grant

Bob Hope (yes, Bob Hope)

Basil Rathbone (There goes Sherlock Holmes)

Elizabeth Taylor ( oh, take her off, she was born in England but her parents were American)

Leslie Howard

Olivia de Havilliand

Vivien Leigh--(There goes "Gone With the Wind"

Hedy Lamar

Marlene Dietrich

I've got to let the dog out--but somebody else can continue. Please don't forget The Beatles, Peter Sellers, Laurence Olivier, Richard Burton, Peter O'Toole, Richard Harris, Anthony Hopkins and Richard Dawson. (Audrey Hepburn, Julie Andrews, Leslie Caron--oops--there goes My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music, Gigi and Mary Poppins!)

Happy Easter!

Edited by: cujas on Apr 23, 2011 5:27 PM

I have a hard time watching long silent movies but I do appriciate their historical significance. If

other people like them why not show them. TCM is for many viewers not just me.

I would have responded sooner but I was too busy downloading young Asian girls in their underwear.

> {quote:title=sheri10 wrote:}{quote}

> 9:00 PM Jesus Christ Superstar (1973)

> Rock singers reenact the Passion of the Christ.

>

>

> 10:00 PM Godspell (1973)

> Contemporary hippies relive the story of Christ's ministry and crucifixion.

I didn't realize that rock and rollers, and hippies, were not allowed to worship Christ.

BTW, did you know that Easter is the only day of the year when there is an advantage to having Alzheimer's disease? You can hide your own Easter eggs... :)