Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Whipsaw": Loy/Tracy in lieu of Loy/Powell

VP19

Caught "Whipsaw" the other morning on TCM, and in my book on the films of Myrna Loy it said that this initially intended as another Loy pairing with William Powell, but he was unavailable for some reason (probably making a film at another studio -- "Star Of Midnight," perhaps?), so Spencer Tracy took the male lead instead. Now Powell is my all-time favorite actor, but watching this film, I simply couldn't picture him in the part -- the character is too street-smart, right up Tracy's alley (and perhaps the Warners-era Powell, too), but a bit out of touch with Powell's more sophisticated MGM persona. (Loy is pretty good as a jewel thief trying to go straight.) Your thoughts on the film?

• 3 weeks later...

Watched this today.

I won't say I was disappointed, after all any Tracy or Loy movie (or Tracy/Loy movie) has a head start simply starring one or both of them.

I don't think it was great, though. Maybe because I like the two of them so much I went in expecting more. I did enjoy it, just wasn't knocked over by it.