Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
classicsstarlets

AUGUST SCHEDULE IS UP!

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}

> Val, wouldn't that make it South by Southeast?

Right you are! That's what I meant to type... perhaps the famous Texas music and film festivals called SxSW lead me astray... Thanks for pointing it out, it's corrected now.

> {quote:title=rbfrys wrote:}{quote}

> > Gosh, I think it looks pretty good for pre codes that don't run all the time, all things considered....(didn't check the dates on the 1934 films, just assuming they are)

> >

>

> What is the 1934 cut-off date to be considered a pre-code?

I believe the Code took effect July 1, 1934.

> {quote:title=ziggyelman wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> > Pretty lackluster. The crown jewel is, of course, Lon Chaney. Other good choices are Ann Dvorak, Ronald Colman, Ralph Bellamy, Conrad Veidt and Joan Blondell.

> >

> > Paulette Goddard - where are THE CAT AND THE CANARY and GHOST BREAKERS?

> > Bette Davis (yawn) - only 2 pre-Codes

> > Humphrey Bogart (yawn) - only 3 1930s titles

> > Claudette Colbert - no pre-Codes; where is MAID OF SALEM?

> > Joan Crawford (yawn) - only 2 pre-Codes

>

> Gosh, I think it looks pretty good for pre codes that don't run all the time, all things considered....(didn't check the dates on the 1934 films, just assuming they are)

>

> *Headline Shooter (1933)*

> *Unholy Garden (1931)*

>

> *Narrow Corner (1933)*

> *West of Broadway (1931)*

>

> *A STRANGER IN TOWN (1932)*

>

> *Side Streets (1934)*

> *Gentlemen Are Born (1934)*

> *Friends of Mr. Sweeney (1934)*

> *This Is the Night (1932)*

> *The Reckless Hour (1931)*

> *Central Park (1932)*

> *Lawyer Man (1933)*

> *Brief Moment (1933)*

> *No More Orchids (1932)*

> *The Racketeer (1929)*

>

>

> Depending how badly you want to see MAID OF SALEM, it is on a Claudette Colbert set....

"The Racketeer" has been on TCM several times before, and as much as I love Carole Lombard, it isn't much of a film (and she doesn't do much with it). If TCM was going to run a Carole film from Pathe, I wish it had run "Big News" (1929), directed by Gregory La Cava seven years before "My Man Godfrey." (In fact, none of the 15 Lombard films in this year's SUTS are TCM premieres.)

But it's an interesting schedule, and here's what I wrote about it:

http://carole-and-co.livejournal.com/405533.html

Would someone please tell me where the link is to go to future month's schedules on

the site. I go to "Monthly Schedule" and all that appears is the current month with

no links to subsequent months. This is crazy. It was all so easy before they

mucked up the design on this site. I have entered urls (which I found on the message

boards) for future months but I cannot print more than 2 pages of the July schedule.

I am using Safari, have also tried IE so what is the damn problem??? This is so

frustrating.

Well, it may be UP, but TCM is not making it easy to find!

But after I DID find it, I can't get it to print more than a couple of pages.

Is anyone else having this problem? I've tried on IE and FF with the same

result, or lack thereof.

Why does this have to be so hard?

Ron

Fabulous SUTS schedule! I used to dread August but one is well worth looking forward to ? and you can tell TCM has been listening to our requests! John Garfield in The Breaking Point (1950) ? finally showing once again after about 7 years ? thank-you! Ann Dvorak and Joan Blondell days ? several pre-codes I?ve never seen. Jean Gabin day ? wow, incredible ? I?ll be recording all of these. And thank-you so much for a Conrad Veidt day - I?ve only seen Jew Suss (1934) once long ago on a faded dupe VHS, but was so impressed by his performance ? I hope you can get a good print. Maybe someday you can also get a hold of The Last Performance (1929).

Wow, I'm feeling slightly faint after seeing Conrad Veidt and Lon Chaney on the list! Never thought I'd live to see this. Glad other greats are scheduled for August. Hope nothing changes! Thanks for listening to our requests TCM!

It just occurred to me that the oft-run "So You Want to Be in Pictures" Joe McDoakes short would be perfect for Ronald Colman day.

I'm laughing at all the comments about "North by Northwest"'s possible position as the number one most-aired film on TCM. Would "So You Want to Be in Pictures" be the most-aired short?

> {quote:title=JonasEB wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=danthemoviefan wrote:}{quote}

> > Marlene Dietrich is the honoree Aug. 31:

> >

> > http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2011-08-31

>

> Ah, I wish they picked Dishonored, it's not on DVD here.

I think that DISHONORED has run into TV right issues. I haven't seen it listed anywhere for at least 10 years.

Really? It's the only Sternberg-Dietrich I haven't seen. I hope that isn't the case; all of the distributor info on IMDB (not always reliable, I know) seems the same as it is for Morocco and the others.

This only confirms my belief that August is TCM's best month: Goddard, *DAVIS*, *Dvorak*, *CHANEY!!!*, *GABIN*, *CRAWFORD*, Veidt, *BLONDELL*, Lancaster, *DARNELL*, Lombard, and plenty of other individual movies spread throughout the rest.

Three big omissions that I wish they'd show sometime. Haven't seen them in years:

Bette Davis, Beyond the Forest ("What a dump!")

John Garfield, Body and Soul - not as good as The Set-Up or Raging Bull, but it's still one of Garfield's best

Burt Lancaster, Criss Cross - not on the level of The Killers, but that one's shown about 4 or 5 times a year

And now if they could only put those monthly schedules back in their original format.....They promised to do this two months ago, and what's happened to that promise?

Just finished going through my August selections, and I notice that the starting times are all out of order for many of the days, and maybe even all of them---I didn't first notice it until near the end of the month. Is anyone else seeing this? The most noticeable pattern is that the prime time movies show up at or near the end of the day, and the last one or two movies show up sometime before that.

Yet another reason why they never should have tampered with perfection, and hopefully they'll restore the old monthly schedule format.

> {quote:title=Scottman wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=JonasEB wrote:}{quote}

> > > {quote:title=danthemoviefan wrote:}{quote}

> > > Marlene Dietrich is the honoree Aug. 31:

> > >

> > > http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2011-08-31

> >

> > Ah, I wish they picked Dishonored, it's not on DVD here.

>

> I think that DISHONORED has run into TV right issues. I haven't seen it listed anywhere for at least 10 years.

Maybe I hallucinated this, but I thought TCM played it a few years back, along with Shanghai Express as part of the salute to Pre-code women surrounding Complicated Women (which is excellent, BTW)

I could be wrong about this--I know I have it on VCR tape, but it could be one I got from the Universal Dietrich collection, most of which, as has been mentioned, have not been released in the US. You can get them for R2, however.

I'm disappointed we don't get to see Joan Blondell slapped around in "Smarty". That movie made my jaw drop..... I've told several people the plot and they can't believe it....

> {quote:title=Darb wrote:}{quote}

> I'm disappointed we don't get to see Joan Blondell slapped around in "Smarty". That movie made my jaw drop..... I've told several people the plot and they can't believe it....

Fun flick! I'm happy I had a chance to see it a few months ago on TCM!!! Would love to see it again, may have to break down and get the DVD. It's on a Warner Archives Double Feature with MERRY WIVES OF RENO, also a pretty cool pre-code!

HOwdy

I don't know about you but I can only access the August schedule as far as August 22!

and I too, noticed some times our of sync.

And just yesterday I typed in the name Frank Sinatra to see his upcoming movies - just to confirm what I had and after listing the first five upcoming movies -at the bottom where it said to click for more additional ones.... I clicked and all I got was a page saying I'd gone too far or something

I, too yearn for the old format or at least they would get this one corrected and more user friendly