Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MARLON BRANDO DESERVES MORE FROM THE TOWN

Guest CHANG, TONY

Guest CHANG, TONY

Just yesterday I was talking to a friend about how Hollywood has hurt Brando,the 20th century's greatest and the most legendary actor, whose talent and method of acting has been copied by almost everyone in hollywoods, past and present. Hollywood has no respect for what he's done. The way he took conventional method of Acting to something no one had seen before. A true pioneer who never got the recognition he so well deserves. Instead, they rather make jokes about insignificant things like; his weight and family troubles. Nowhere in the world exists such hypocrisy. They joke about his life when they would give their lives to have 1/3 of his talent. I'm so sick of them all. because Brando refuses to kiss their ****, they turn on him like the klan does to Jews and the Blacks. They segregate him, using him like a scapegoat, a third rail when they have nothing funny to say on NSL.

There is no doubt that Marlon Brando is one of our greatest actors and he is to be respected for that. Hollywood honored him with Oscar's and award nominations as did many other movie related organizations. However as far as his personal problems are concerned he brought most of them upon himself. Commanding big bucks he was temperamental, rude to many in the industry and causing his wives and family a great deal of pain in his wake. Perhaps in his old age he finally has a grip on life although most of the damage has been done. Redemption?

Guest K, Sandy

I have to second mongo's comments that Mr. Brando's idiosyncrasies over the years have caused him to be, at the very least, misunderstood. I do agree that it is a bit of a cheap shot to ridicule him for his weight gain--his size has nothing to do with his ability as an actor. I must respectfully disagree, however, with Tony's comment that he has not gotten the recognition he deserves. He has been been honored with numerous awards, and I have never seen or read an interview with anyone who has worked with him where his acting was disparaged. Most students of Method acting (of which I am one) hold him up as a shining example of the craft.

Guest finnie12, moira

Perhaps one of the problems with Brando is that few people seem to separate the human being from the celebrity and actor. Life gave Brando a natural gift as an actor. His now fifty-year-old portraits of Emilio Zapata and Terry Malloy, along with the Godfather and other parts, are as vibrant today as when they were filmed. One of Marlon Brando's tragedies during his life seems to be that he did not respect himself or his work. He deserved much of the praise that he's received during his career. The mistake that many of those who followed him made was that they idolized him to an extreme degree. The method acting that he employed so deftly in his work is one form of dramatic expression, but not the only one. As a person, he does not deserve to be jeered at in his old age for his flaws. I suspect that he is well aware of each foible. Every human being deserves a modicum of privacy and compassion, and Brando is no exception. I wonder if he would've behaved differently if he had known what the consequences of his self-indulgence would be for his family?

Guest son, jery

I grew up watching Marlon Brando on the big screen in addition to his two brilliant counterparts: Montgomery Clift and James Dean. What irked me from the very beginning about Brando is his relentless putdown of "making movieeeees!" Like Laurence Olivier, Brando was utterly contemptuous of films and eagerly admitted--as if he were being very cute--that he did it "strictly for the money." In the numerous bios written about him, he showered his contempt on his fellow actors and crew members. Like another movie-hater--Frank Sinatra--Brando wouldn't show up on movie sets for days. He enjoyed ruining take after take of complicated scenes because he once more thought it "was cute." Although I can appreciate his gifts in certain films, he eventually became a embarassing buffoon. And if you saw his disgraceful performance in "Island of Lost Souls", you might understand where I'm coming from. I would place Brando with Sinatra as arrogance run amock in Hollywod. And you can't really respect the studios for letting these two hambones get away with it for so long.