Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My Top Twenty Films

KidChaplin

Hello, Everyone! I am a newbie to the site and am thrilled to be here! I have been wanting to join TCM.com for awhile now and finally did it. I have seen many of your movie lists and wanted to participate myself. I know it will be a wild list, but I have my reasons for it! LOL! Here they are in no particular order.....

Steamboat Bill Jr. (The whole storm scene is masterful!)

Forrest Gump

The Shawshank Redemption

Limelight (This is one the most tragic and funny combinations I have seen)

Whatever Happened To Baby Jane (It's almost unbelieveable the way Davis manipulates Crawford!)

Tombstone (It's a joy to watch Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday! Many quotes from this movie!)

Singin' In The Rain

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Just to watch that many stars together, Jonathan Winters garage scene!)

Patton (One of the best films ever to be produced!)

The Empire Strikes Back

The Quick and the Dead - Stone & Hackman (The camera work is so cool and fast, it's fun to watch it from a cheesy, but intense view)

True Grit - John Wayne (It's worth it just to watch him yell "Fill your hand, you son of a b*tch!)

Sunset Boulevard

A Christmas Story (Darrin McGavin makes this movie....and steals it too!)

L. A. Story (A wonderful love story!)

Moulin Rouge - McGregor & Kidman (Innovative, loud and captivating!)

A Face In The Crowd (Makes you wonder just how Andy Griffith pulled meek and mild Andy Taylor out of him!)

The Patriot (I love a movie that's "wide." It's so big and seems to fill the screen and your eyes)

Enter The Dragon (Bruce Lee fighting in the underground prison! Isn't that enough?)

TITANIC - DiCaprio & Winslet (EVERYthing about this movie....plot, story, characters, the production, etc., etc.,)

Hope to be here often and I am very excited to participate with all of you in the love of movies!

The following is a list of my top 30 favorite films (it was hard to cut it to just 30 and I couldn't cut it to 20):

1999 Saving Private Ryan

1968 2001: A Space Odyssey

1988 Die Hard

1994 True Lies

1994 Speed

1986 Ferris Bueller's Day Off

1987 Raising Arizona

1979 Alien

1993 Jurassic Park

2005 King Kong

1999 The Matrix

1984 The Terminator

1989 The Abyss

1976 Marathon Man

1964 Goldfinger

1967 Bonnie and Clyde

1983 The Right Stuff

1940 Northwest Passage

1962 Lawrence of Arabia

1995 Braveheart

1960 Spartacus

1955 To Hell and Back

1992 The Last of the Mohicans

2000 The Patriot

1945 Objective, Burma!

1957 The Enemy Below

1984 Starman

1990 Tremors

1972 The Culpepper Cattle Company

1985 Witness

Nice list. I like many of your choices.

And welcome to the boards!!

You should look over on the LISTS thread on the Favorites forum. Quite a few of us have published many of our favorite lists over there.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh that's a nice way to welcome someone new to the boards..... insult their intelligence right off the bat.

Maybe you should look a little closer. He does list 1940's Northwest Passage as one of his "favorite" films. And who cares if only one appears before 1945. He also has Objective, Burma! from 1945 listed.

All lists are subjective.

On another list of his over on the Favorites Forum under the thread titled: LISTS, he has another list of 100 war films and there he lists 21 films made in 1945 and before. Add to that another 21 films he has selected were made from 1946 to 1959, the usual accepted cut off date from around here that distinguishes modern films from the so-called "Studio Era" of movie making. So you may have just seen a small portion of his favorite listing based solely on the list here on this thread.

We have had many discussions before about what type of film is considered a classic and which film is not considered a classic. Some of us prefer to call all films classic, and not just one type of film made between a given set of years.

Your definition of the cut-off of classic films made before 1945 is a new one to me. Most people as I have written on the boards have indicated that the mid to late fifties would in their estimation be the last years of the studio era classic films. Usually, if a year is chosen to represent a clear cut away from classic film that year has usually been 1960.

The list that I posted was a list of 30 of my favorite movies, not a list of my favorite pre-1940 movies. If you want a list of pre-1940 (or pre-1950 or pre-1960) movies then I would be glad to put one together. Just because I like some (but not all) older classic movies does not mean that I dislike all recent movies.

Also, a automobile is considered a "classic" if it is over 20 years old. Rather than treating 1940 (or 1950 or 1960) an absolute cutoff date for a movie to be a clasic I view the phrase "classic movie" the same way it is applied to classic automobiles - although I think 20 years is a little too small an interval. There were some classic movies made after 1960, for example

1962 Lawrence of Arabia

1967 Bonnie and Clyde

1968 2001: A Space Odyssey

Actually fxreymen...I think jamesjazz was referring to me and my list. LOL! I do know about early studios and their works, jamesjazz. I also a fan of many Chaplin, Keaton and Lloyd films and am fascinated by the evolution of the film industry. I am no expert and I am probably couldnt hold a deep film conversation with three quarters of this messageboard. But I listed what I liked and why and I have no regrets. I am 42 years old and wished that films had hit me a heck of a lot sooner. I am finding myself deeply interested in filmmaking and, as I said, wished it had hit me a lot, lot sooner.

Well, he could have been. But I had just replied to Bill711 about his list and then JamesJazz then replied to me. So I think it was Bill's list he was referring to. I do not want to take anything away from what you may have thought James was writing about. Since he has not really indicated I suppose he could have been writing to you.

But I digress. Your list is fine. No need to say you are no expert. None of us who write on these pages truly are experts. We are all fans of classic film, and as I have indicated before...... there is no reason not to be able to call a film produced in 2010 as not being "classic". All films can be called that. But some people around here don't want to do that, and that is fine as well.

First I was refering to Bill's list. I only mentioned 1945 because that was the earliest year a movie was released on his list.

I clearly understand that there is no defined period of 'classic movies' and this is why I generally use the term 'studio era talkies" instead since this term is more clearly defined (movies from around 1930 - 1959 or so).

My point was and still is, that when one list a list of top movies (or music for that matter), and their list ignores an entire era of movies that list tells me that this person either doesn't know much about that era or didn't care much for that era. I fail to see how that is a harsh or mean thing to say but just a fact. Hey, I don't know much about silent movies and thus my list of top 20 movies wouldn't contain any.

Thus I didn't post my list of top 20 movies here because I felt the people using this specific thread were not interested or knowledgeable about the era of movies I enjoy; Studio era movies. If that was a bogus assumption I'm sorry about that.

Now if one is knowledgeable about movies from the studio era, I do fined it 'strange' that one would NOT list any movies from that era in their top 20. Note I say 'strange'. Really I'm not tying to knock down anyone but to me that is strange. Like saying one likes British Rock and Roll but not the Beatles!

Really only one movie with any of the major stars or directors from that studio system era in a list of top 20 or 30 movies? Hey, I'm not saying one has to list Citizen Kane but I hope we could agree that the two lists provided here are lean, to say the least, on movies from what many will say is the best era of American movies.

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on May 20, 2011 3:20 PM

*I clearly understand that there is no defined period of 'classic movies' and this is why I generally use the term 'studio era talkies" instead since this term is more clearly defined (movies from around 1930 - 1959 or so).*

Well I am glad to hear that. I was not looking forward to having to find the original posting I made about that subject many months ago.

*My point was and still is, that when one list a list of top movies (or music for that matter), and their list ignores an entire era of movies that list tells me that this person either doesn't know much about that era or didn't care much for that era. I fail to see how that is a harsh or mean thing to say but just a fact. Hey, I don't know much about silent movies and thus my list of top 20 movies wouldn't contain any.*

To me, it sounded as if you were being unfair to Bill. I can see now from your explanation that you were NOT being unfair, you were just trying to make a point. If I need to apologize to you, then I am sorry.

*Now if one is knowledgeable about movies from the studio era, I do fined it 'strange' that one would NOT list any movies from that era in their top 20. Note I say 'strange'. Really I'm not tying to knock down anyone but to me that is strange. Like saying one likes British Rock and Roll but not the Beatles!*

Well, I do not find a "favorites" list that does not include many studio era films strange. Bill listed his "favorite" films. Not his "top" or "greatest" films. Those kinds of lists are very subjective. His list I find curious and interesting. I too am not a silent film fan, so on my lists you will never find many silents. That does not mean I do not appreciate them, it just means that I don't have an opinion of them one way or the other.

*Really only one movie with any of the major stars or directors from that studio system era in a list of top 20 or 30 movies? Hey, I'm not saying one has to list Citizen Kane but I hope we could agree that the two lists provided here are lean, to say the least, on movies from what many will say is the best era of American movies.*

Oh, I totally agree. But again, Bill's list is of his favorite films. I am not trying to defend him, rather I am just trying to say that everyone should be able to make up a list of their "favorite" films and go on from there. If you at any of my lists, I would say that 60% of my films are from 1960 onward. Now recently I was able to purchase additional sets of much earlier films, but still maintain a collection of mostly 1960 and later films.

------------------------------------------------

jamesjazzguitar wrote that when "their list ignores an entire era of movies that list tells me that this person either doesn't know much about that era or didn't care much for that era".

------------------------------------------------

You might be right about the "doesn't know much about the era" but I don't see how that is relevant. Just because I am not an expert in how movies are made and I don't know every detail about a movie's actors, director(s) or producers does not mean that I can't be a fan of a particular movie.

As I previously stated, my list was a list of 30 of my favorite movies; I tried to keep the list small; I did not deliberately ignore any particular era. If I increase it to say 100 movies then it would include some pre-1945 movies. Just because I like some (but not all) recent movies does not mean that I do not like any older "classic" movies.

-------------------------------------------------

He also says in reference to the era that he considers classic (pre-1945?): "movies from what many will say is the best era of American movies".

-------------------------------------------------

I consider myself a classic movie fan since I like some (but not all) movies from the 1930's, 1940's and 1950's. That is why I watch TCM! But it does not mean that I think those movies are better than all more recent movies. If you want to be dogmatic then I'll be dogmatic too and say that you can't say you're a classic movie fan if you don't include in your list of favorite movies the classic 1968 movie "2001: A Space Odyssey"! :)

Edited by: Bill711 on May 20, 2011 6:17 PM

I had to go back and read my original comments:

"Nice list of what? Not one movie before 1945? Looks mostly like a list of favorite action movies done by someone that doesn't know much about the studio era of movies."

Now I do notice I did you the term 'studio era' and like I said this is a fairly well defined period. Generally people at this forum and those that watch TCM favor movies from that era.

By my comment 'nice list of what?' is a put down and I didn't need to do that. But it wasn't a put down of the person but only the list of movies related to this forum and TCM as a TV station; i.e. a station that 90% or more of the time shows movies from the studio movie era. Thus I still find the list 'strange' in this specific forum.

For example, a while ago I posted a list of my top 10 favorites and not one was a movie after 1955. This was the case because I assumed the question of 'what are your top 10 favorite movies' IMPLIED the studio system era of AMERICAN movies (I only add american because someone posted a list of mostly foreign movies and that started a debate similar to this one).

Now if I was to post of list of my favorite 20 movies of all time it would indeed include some post studio era movies.

I can see why I shouldn't of assumed that a movie list in this forum has to be limited to studio era movies but at the same time I still don't view my assumption as being that out of line based on the type of movies TCM is known for showing.

Thanks for the feedback!

I agree with you I was being dogmatic in that since 90% or more of the movies TCM shows are studio era movies (i.e pre-1959 or so), I assumed a top 20 list would mostly contain movies TCM shows (this being TCM's website and all).

I see you still use the term 'classic'. Note that I didn't use the term 'classic' but instead studio era movies. Like I said before this is a more defined period of movies that is from around 1930 to 1959 or so (if we ignore the silent era movies).

As for what is relevant; This website is a TCM website. I feel that is relevant to the discussion here and thus to any listing posted here. For example a list of someone top 20 actors. If that list didn't include one studio era actor to be that is relevant since this is a TCM website and the vast majority of movies shown on TCM star studio era actors. i.e. this isn't a general movie website.

But you are correct that I shouldn't assume that everyone that uses this forum is a big time studio era movie fan like me. Based on my exchanges with members here most appear to be and this is why I was surprised to see two list of top 20 movies that contained few studio era movies.

I hope you can admit that the fact you are a big fan of Birtish rock but like many groups more than the Beatles is 'strange'. Note that stange in this context means unusual.

e.g. If we asked 100 fans of Birtish rock fans to list their top 10 British rock groups I would assume the Beatles would be highly ranked (I think they would be 1st and The Rolling Stones second, then the Who,, VH1 had a ranking of all rock bands and the Beatles were #1). In other words not many people would rank 'many groups' higher than them and thus your choice is 'strange' or unusual compared to what most others would do. But hey, who says you have to follow the crowd!

I like the Kinks best of all!

Since you are never the shy one here, what do you think about these top 20 favorite films? Was I out of line by assuming that a list in this forum is 'strange' if it contains only 1 studio era movie?