Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

At 7AM May 2 it looks like 1930's Show Girl in Hollywood is scheduled

There is a 90 minute gap in every TCM schedule I've found so far for 7AM -8:30AM Monday May 2. My Directv long term schedule says that 1930's Show Girl in Hollywood is scheduled for that time. I'm letting everyone know just in case this is correct. Please correct me on this thread if I am wrong. If there has already been a thread about this, I apologize in advance.

Edited by: calvinnme on Apr 30, 2011 11:25 AM

Mark,

Blast, I missed this. Was it on? The movie has Alice White and Blanche Sweet. It hasn't been shown in years. I have a recording. But Alice White movies don't turn up much on the schedule anymore.

Sure wish they would show the 1930 *GOOD NEWS* again with Bessie Love and Penny Singleton. My recording is from more than a decade ago, and is from VHS.

Indeed Mark, she rocks the house!

It's worth the price of admission just to see the number "I've Got My Eye On You" with the three Vitaphone camera booths. The tune is catchy and you get to see how a film was made during the Vitaphone era.

I've checked four different schedule listiings, DirecTV, TitanTV, the local paper and the Time-Warner cable and all show it on the schedule. This whole thing is getting really weird. How can TCM can get the info correctly to the schedule services, but their own online schedule is totally screwed up?

That is just crazy! It was bad enough that shorts are omitted from the monthly schedules, and the letterboxed designations are all wrong. But, those schedules omit whole feature-length movies? Ouch. :(

> {quote:title=markfp2 wrote:}{quote}

> How can TCM can get the info correctly to the schedule services, but their own online schedule is totally screwed up?

They have moved some of their Atlanta staff out to L.A. right now to work on the Film Festival.

Now Playing shows Moguls and Movie Stars airing today at 7 p.m. but that is not in the online schedule either.

I'm glad I subscribed to Now Playing as the TCM online schedule seems to be increasing in its unreliability, rather than improving...

Robbie

>>I'm glad I subscribed to Now Playing as the TCM online schedule seems to be increasing in its unreliability, rather than improving...

I had a subscription to Now Playing a few years ago but let it expire as the info within (descriptions, designations of closed-captions, letter-boxing) was pretty much a duplicate of what was in the online schedule.

The old format online schedules were available up through June. Thus I'm wondering about whether Now Playing will reflect the online schedules for July and August which are still in error in regard to the letterboxed films. Maybe the same genius decided to "upgrade" the magazine also.

"Show Girl in Hollywood" (1930) finally aired ... after approximately thirteen years. And anyone who missed this thread most likely missed the film. It's an entertaining bit of film history. Too bad the finale is no longer in its original technicolor.

This was AWESOME!!!

Unfortunately my cable co messed up with some pixelation issues in the last 1/4 of the screening, but I saw enough to enjoy it! So wonderful to come home to this!!!

Alice White, wow!! Whatta dame!!

Way to go, TCM, thank you for this! More 1930 films, please!!! :)

Did the studio release this with a B&W ending as well as color? You could tell the ending must have been color spectacular in its day with the rainbow and dancing.

The part about them washing you up by 32 seems somewhat accurate too, it didn't make hollywood look very flattering.

I believe that the two color Technicolor elements for the finale are lost, and only survive in black and white. At least colorizing the finale of this film would make some sense as the process does resemble the softer shadings of the two color process.

Alice White seems to be what people who have never seen a Marion Davies movie think Marion Davies is -- a modestly talented kewpie doll. She's cute and charming, but not much more.

> {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:}{quote}

> It's worth the price of admission just to see the number "I've Got My Eye On You" with the three Vitaphone camera booths.

That was interesting. They also showed a sound recording booth, and two men recording sound on large disks. And several scenes of the Warner Bros. Studio.

Walter Pidgeon was in this film, along with Al Jolson, Ruby Keeler, and Loretta Young. All briefly.