Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Worst Casting Compilation Thread

Ascotrudgeracer

I'm not really a Heston (or NRA) fan, but I think he does a fine job in *Touch of Evil*, one of my favorite films. True, he doesn't look much like a stereotypical Mexican. But, I have seen Spaniards that he resembles, and so he isn't unlike some Mexicans, in appearance. I do love the irony of his speech about 'being a policeman is only easy in a police state.' :)

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> But, I have seen Spaniards that he resembles, and so he isn't unlike some Mexicans,

He looks very unlike a Mexican and he didn't sound at all like a mexican. He looked and sounded just like Charlton Heston in dark makeup.

I've lived in Latin America, and spent a fair amount of time in Mexico. Not all Mexicans have Indian blood, or the darker Mediterranean look of some of the Spanish. Some Spanish, i.e. some Galicians, and Castillians, look, well, maybe European, but might as well be French, as Spanish. Take the actor Fernando Rey. He looks like he could be related to Heston. As I said in the first place, Heston doesn't look like a stereotypical Mexican. But, There are a few Mexicans, and even more Spaniards, that don't look ethnically different from Heston. But, as to Heston's accent, well he didn't attempt a Mexican accent, as best as I can tell. I don't think that's so damning. Were the character real, he probably would have learned English in private schools, from grade school, and then attended US universities, and not had an accent at all.

I first saw *Lord Love a Duck* when I was in highschool. Of course I realized that Roddy was too old for the part. But, it didn't bother me, and I loved the movie. Now that I am somewhat older, I just can't see it!

I was actually thinking more of Heston's wooden acting in general than I was of the idea of trying to pass him off as a Mexican. But if you're going to cast a North American to play the Vargas part, at least get a Brando or a Lancaster, rather than scraping the bottom of the barrel and coming up with a hack like Heston, whose main acting skill was driving a chariot.

Edited by: AndyM108 on May 1, 2011 11:14 AM

> {quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:}{quote}

> ...scraping the bottom of the barrel and coming up with a hack like Heston, whose main acting >skill was driving a chariot.

>

I can't agree. His main acting skill was leading people through red jello. :)

What Lincoln said about fooling all of the people some of the time could easily be applied to the 1959 Oscar voters. Muni, Stewart and Lemmon wiped the floor with Heston that year, and the only reason I don't add Harvey to the group is because I've never seen Room At The Top.

For bad casting I hate when a cast is extremely unbalanced. I think if both (or all) actors are equally matched, even if they're not the best themselves, it's better than if one is amazing and the rest are mediocre. For example, in SAYONARA, poor Marlon Brando has to act opposite whatshername (the chick he's engaged to) who is just not worthy of his abilities. She and Ricardo Montalban are not as good, or don't give as good performances, as Brando, Red Buttons, and Miyoshi Umeki, so it's really annoying. Whereas Howard Keel isn't the best actor, and neither is Kathryn Grayson, but when they're together they seem well cast. Ergo, balance is the main thing in casting, for my taste.

<>

LOL--the most awesome thing about this is that in "Young Frankenstein", Gene Wilder & Peter Boyle are dancing the exact choreography used in Gable's performance. Check it out--hilarious!

One of my top bad casting picks has to be James Coburn as an Australian in "The Great Escape"--breathtakingly bad accent.

some of the worst ethnic casting in American films: Chuck Connors as Geronimo, Katharine Hepburn as a Chinese peasant, Jane Powell as a Pacific islander native woman. Arlene Dahl as a Hindu rani, Gary Cooper as an Italian (yup, Marco Polo),

I didn't find William Hurt in Kiss of the Spider Woman very convincing. Anthony Hopkins in Nixon is not very successful I'm afraid. I should think of some more, I guess I don't see enough bad movies.

Archived