Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Groovy Flix Coming on TCM Week of May 2nd!!!

Groovy Flix coming up on TCM week of May 2nd!!!

But before I get there, I gotta give a shout out to May 1st, Sunday, wow! I dunno about you guys, but I'm going to be totally grooving to GOLD DIGGERS OF 1935 first thing in the AM, and later on DILLINGER (1945), ALL ABOUT EVE, KEY LARGO, and THEY MADE ME A FUGITIVE, that all rocks the house on a Sunday! And as if that wasn't enough, Greta Garbo shines in this Sunday's Silent flick; WILD ORCHIDS (1929)!!

And wow, Monday kicks it off in style and I'm totally freaking out because TCM is airing SHOW GIRL IN HOLLYWOOD bright and early!!! OMG, this 1930 flick is rarely ever aired, and I'm grooving!! Alice White rocks the house, wow!!! It keeps rolling with Bing Crosby's tribute for the day, GOING HOLLYWOOD from 1933, great pre-code, with Marion Davies! Followed by 3 of the ?Road? flicks, ZANZIBAR, MOROCCO and SINGAPORE!! Can't go wrong with Bing and Bob!!

Tuesday daytime is rocking, I tell ya! With Mary Astor being featured, we get a treat with lots of pre-codes and mystery flicks!! Kick it off in the wee hours with RED DUST the fantastic pre-code with Gable, Harlow, Astor!! It rocks! Followed by a more obscure pre-code flick, THE WORLD CHANGES, an awesome film with Paul Muni and the great Aline McMahon!! THE CASE OF THE HOWLING DOG, a great ?Perry Mason? flick with my main man Warren William in the title role, along with Astor! THE KENNEL MURDER CASE, perhaps the best of the ?Philo Vance? flicks, with William Powell in the lead! And OMG, a very rarely aired pre-code Eddie G flick, THE MAN WITH TWO FACES, it's out of control, with Mary Astor and the sleaze bag Louis Calhern, one of my favorite dames Mae Clarke, and another of my main men, Ricardo Cortez!!!! Wow, this film rocks, and is a MUST SEE!! The great John Barrymore is showing up in MIDNIGHT (1939)with Claudette Colbert, as well!

Evening on Tuesday kicks off with the Marx Bros in the frenetic and wild and crazy A DAY AT THE RACES, one of my favorites of their films! It's part of the ?Horse Race? theme, and much later, in the wee hours we will be treated to the Gable pre-code, SPORTING BLOOD (1931)!! And the VERY rare BIG BOY from 1930, with Al Jolson! Wow! I've never seen it, should be very cool!

Dancing takes center stage on Wed night, and we are grooving with Will Rogers himself in DOUBTING THOMAS (1935) in prime time!! And if you dig those old school musicals, you have a treat with BORN TO DANCE (1936) with Eleanor Powell and Jimmy Stewart, and BORN TO SING (1942)!!

Capra fans are grooving early Thursday morning with the classic YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU (1938)! I'll admit I'm a sucker for him and this film always sucks me in!

Friday, we are totally going silent with the daytime tribute to Rudolph Valentino!!! Wow, silent fans are dancing in the streets with this lineup: BEYOND THE ROCKS (1922) with the grand Dame of the Silent Era, Gloria Swanson! MORAN OF THE LADY LETTY (1922), THE YOUNG RAJAH (1922), CAMILLE (1921), THE CONQUERING POWER (1921), and THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE (1921)!!! Wow, that rocks!!

And the grooves don't stop, cos following that wild silent block, we get FLESH (1932), a GREAT pre-code flick with Wallace Berry and Karen Morley and again my main man, Ricardo Cortez!! And this is followed by Mickey Spillane night! KISS ME DEADLY, MY GUN IS QUICK (never saw it before, so yeah, looking forward to it!!!), and Mickey shows up himself in THE GIRL HUNTERS!!! Wow! Rock the house!!

Saturday morning is a treat with the very awesome Rathbone/Bruce, THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (1939)!! Followed by the weekly serial BUCK ROGERS (really grooving on that!!), and the next installment of the ?Tarzan? saga, TARZAN'S NEW YORK ADVENTURE (1942)! I always dug that one as it turned things around! Wow, thank you, TCM!!!

Later that afternoon, the great BACK FROM ETERNITY (remake of the great FIVE CAME BACK), this one with Rod Steiger, Robert Ryan, the curvaceous Anita Ekberg!! Later that night we are grooving to the hard-hitting pre-code WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD (1933) and early Sunday, a Bogie flick, KNOCK ON ANY DOOR (1949). And wow, this is followed by one of my all time favorite Capra flicks, LADY FOR A DAY (1933) with the glorious May Robson, my main man Warren William and a GREAT cast of characters!! And the Silent Sunday feature rocks with THE DIVINE LADY from 1929!!

Thank you TCM for another great week of films!!! If only I had time to watch them all!!!

I also find this week has many movies I would like to watch.

I have heard many good things about Alice White in *Show Girl in Hollywood* (1930). It is sad to think some will not know it is airing since it is not to be found on daily, weekly or monthly schedule on this site.

I do not understand spate of new movies on Monday night. I have seen *Innocence* (2000) and parts of *Trouble the Water* (2008) and I do not believe either will ever be thought a classic.

I am looking forward to *The Man with Two Faces* (1934). Edward G. Robinson and Mary Astor should make it interesting.

I may have to make an excuse from work for Wednesday. I very much love Audrey Hepburn.

I should watch the Thursday airings of settler/pioneer movies. Such things are far outside my background.

Tuesday morning and Friday night are mysteries which I like very much.

SansFin, I hope you have that chance to see THE MAN WITH TWO FACES!! It's a really great film with a great cast! Although released just a month after the enforcement of the code, there is quite a bit of pre-code tone to the proceedings.

And with Eddie G you can rarely go wrong!

Today was just outrageous!!! Alice White in SHOW GIRL IN HOLLYWOOD!!! Whatta dame and whatta flick, 1930, all the way baby!!

The Bing lineup was awesome too! The earlier Road films, which I like a lot! And the pre-code GOING HOLLYWOOD!! With Marion Davies--yes!

TCM is really rocking this week!

Anyone who is fortunate enough to be able to stay home today should be totally grooving to today's Mary Astor lineup, filled with pre-codes and mystery flicks!!!

And if you haven't seen it before, check out THE MAN WITH TWO FACES!!! Simply awesome!

Great lineup!

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> Anyone who is fortunate enough to be able to stay home today should be totally grooving to today's Mary Astor lineup, filled with pre-codes and mystery flicks!!!

>

> And if you haven't seen it before, check out THE MAN WITH TWO FACES!!! Simply awesome!

>

> Great lineup!

Unfortunately, I'm not at home today, but I do have the DVR set for THE CASE OF THE HOWLING DOG and THE MAN WITH TWO FACES!! Awesome, awesome!

Me too, Sewannie!!! My DVR is totally full! Just got home and starting to enjoy THE MAN WITH TWO FACES for starters!!! So many of these flix today were GREAT! But wow, tonight is pretty darn groovy too!!! Marx Bros coming up on prime-time with A DAY AT THE RACES!! It was my first intro to the Bros, and I have a fondness for it!

Hope you enjoy the flix!

> I hope you were able to be off to enjoy Audrey's day today, and enjoyed it!!

> What did you think of THE MAN WITH TWO FACES?

I missed most of *The Man With Two Faces* because power outages because of the storms knocked the timer off the DVR. I only saw when I came home from when a man lay dying to when a man is pulling off his beard in an office and then the power went out again. I have checked and I quite happily found that it will air again this month so I have another chance. From the tiny part I saw I believe I will like it very much as it has the mood I love. It also looks like it is an excellent print.

I am sad to say I slept almost all day today. I am also very happy to say that because I needed sleep very badly. Capuchin checked and said I have not been outside of work or school for more than sixteen hours at a time since the middle of December. He made me take today, Thursday and Friday off from everything. He had planned a little trip for us after his out-patient surgery this afternoon but that will have to wait now because when it was over they choose to keep him overnight. He is liking very much that he has a new crop of nurses to harass.

I have all the Audrey Hepburn movies being aired today on DVD. It was only a dream that I could have been able to really watch them as they were aired.

> Today was just outrageous!!! Alice White in SHOW GIRL IN HOLLYWOOD!!! Whatta dame and whatta flick, 1930, all the way baby!!

>

> The Bing lineup was awesome too! The earlier Road films, which I like a lot! And the pre-code GOING HOLLYWOOD!! With Marion Davies--yes!

>

> TCM is really rocking this week!

I really enjoyed the Bing Crosby birthday tribute, especially Going My Way, Blue Skies, and Going Hollywood. Show Girl in Hollywood was great as well.

Tuesday was amazing with the Mary Astor pre-code blowout. I gave up trying to keep up with that but did manage to record the Philo Vance and Perry Mason mysteries. Looking forward to seeing Mike Hammer Friday night.

I wish I had been able to see Dinky on Tuesday; that looked interesting. Ironic that Jackie Cooper passed away the same day.

And just finished watching Eleanor Powell and Buddy Ebsen with his gangly dancing legs (who I still say could have done just as well as Ray Bolger as the Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz) in Born to Dance. Each time I watch it, it's better than the previous time.

Robbie

> Capra fans are grooving early Thursday morning with the classic YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU (1938)! I'll admit I'm a sucker for him and this film always sucks me in!

I saw You Can't Take It with You today. Frank Capra's films are always winners for me. Jean Arthur, Jimmy Stewart, and Lionel Barrymore are great as always. I loved seeing Charles Lane who guest starred in so many I Love Lucy episodes and on Petticoat Junction as well. I also loved seeing Spring Byington; the first time I ever saw her was on the '50s & '60s game show What's My Line.

I also just finished up watching Spencer's Mountain. I really love the original "Waltons" film.

I wasn't planning to watch the Esther Williams movies tonight, but I see Lucille Ball is in Easy to Wed so I may have to watch that. I love just about any movie she's in, even if they say her movies weren't as great as her TV shows.

> And the grooves don't stop, cos following that wild silent block, we get FLESH (1932), a GREAT pre-code flick with Wallace Berry and Karen Morley and again my main man, Ricardo Cortez!! And this is followed by Mickey Spillane night! KISS ME DEADLY, MY GUN IS QUICK (never saw it before, so yeah, looking forward to it!!!), and Mickey shows up himself in THE GIRL HUNTERS!!! Wow! Rock the house!!

Looking forward to seeing the Mike Hammer films on Friday night. Especially Mickey Spillane as Mike Hammer himself. The only other film I've seen Spillane in was playing himself Ring of Fear. That was a real shocker for me the first time I saw it on TCM!

Once again mark, great wrap up of this week's programming.

I am looking forward to a pizza and the Mike Hammer films tomorrow. I caught *My Gun is Quick* over a year ago on Encore Mystery (they also would show *Kiss Me Deadly*. I remember liking it, but I have seen *Kiss Me Deadly* quite a few times since, and Meeker's "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" episodes, that I can't figure out which Hammer film I like better. Plus I also look forward to seeing Mr. Spillane himself.

Love, you are most welcome!!! Glad to see you are back on the board and posting, hope all is well!

I have had Encore Mystery for a while, but wow, I've not noticed MY GUN IS QUICK on there. I understand they were decent back in the day, but the only things I'm interested in on there are re-runs of re-runs of the PD Holmes flicks from the Rathbone/Bruce ouvre. They do those all the time, though I never tire of them.

Hope you have a great time on Friday night!

Hope everyone grooves this morning to Rathbone/Bruce in THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES, coming up soon, and followed by 2 more chapters in the BUCK ROGERS serial, and Johnny Weissmuller's farewell turn as Tarzan at MGM (soon to make 6 more at RKO!) in TARZAN'S NEW YORK ADVENTURE!! I hadn't seen that one in ages before finally purchasing the Warner's set with all 6 of the MGM flicks, and it remains one of my favorites from my childhood, and just as good now!

Oh and later is BACK FROM ETERNITY!!! :)

> I'll have to check that out, Cinemafan!!!

>

> Fred, I'm glad you are grooving today!

Mark, thank you for your positive and enthusiastic threads! They are very refreshing.