Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Speaking of bad programming choices, the documentary "Trouble the Water" (2008) is *best* suited for The Learning Channel (TLC) or the Discovery Channel.

P.S. I hate rap period. :(

I don't think that you've seen anything yet! TCM is busy redefining what is meant by a "classic" movie in order to bring in a new and much younger audience, which eats up this sort of garbage.

Hold on--the ride is going to be bumpy!

incredibull

The answer is very simple. It is there to grab a new audience and hopefully sell them some DVDs of the type of trash that they love. Surely TCM will tell you who put this title in the program lineup if you only ask here. I'm certain that he sees nothing at all wrong with this.....

Au Revoir, classic movies :-(

incredibull

incredibull wrote:

<< Au Revoir, classic movies :( >>

At the rate they are going, TCM will stand for Turner Crummy Movies. The last very good one I've seen here was "The Godless Girl" (1929).

P.S. I like your member name, very witty :)

> {quote:title=incredibull wrote:}{quote}

> The answer is very simple. It is there to grab a new audience and hopefully sell them some DVDs of the type of trash that they love. Surely TCM will tell you who put this title in the program lineup if you only ask here. I'm certain that he sees nothing at all wrong with this.....

>

> Au Revoir, classic movies :-(

>

>

> incredibull

Every now and then a post just makes my head hurt. You remind me of the easily-angered mobs in Frank Capra movies.

Yes, the truth hurts.

Perhaps sticking your head in the sand will soothe that headache. But history says otherwise. Although you may not have studied history, it teaches us that *vigorous* dissatisfaction with the status quo is the source of all progress. In the case of classic movies, "progress" is holding the line against an invasion of movies with a ripe old age of three or four years, etc. My guess is that TCM is testing the waters here and the levee will be breached permanently unless angry viewers (that's right--angry) stop this thing before it gets off the ground.

incredibull

> {quote:title=incredibull wrote:}{quote}

> But history says otherwise. Although you may not have studied history, it teaches us that *vigorous* dissatisfaction with the status quo is the source of all progress. In the case of classic movies, "progress" is holding the line against an invasion of movies with a ripe old age of three or four years, etc. My guess is that TCM is testing the waters here and the levee will be breached permanently unless angry viewers (that's right--angry) stop this thing before it gets off the ground.

This thread is a good example of why many laugh at this message board.

Let's forget about the fact that TCM has done stuff like this throughout its history, let's forget about the fact that this is a clearly defined series, let's forget about the fact that there's nothing else like this in the next few months, let's forget about common sense - Do you really think that TCM is going to use THESE films, of all films, to initiate some change in programming???

I think you need to adjust that tinfoil hat of yours. Bull - that's exactly right.

> {quote:title=JonasEB wrote:}{quote}

>

> This thread is a good example of why many laugh at this message board.

>

> Let's forget about the fact that TCM has done stuff like this throughout its history, let's forget about the fact that this is a clearly defined series, let's forget about the fact that there's nothing else like this in the next few months, let's forget about common sense - Do you really think that TCM is going to use THESE films, of all films, to initiate some change in programming???

>

> I think you need to adjust that tinfoil hat of yours. Bull - that's exactly right.

I think the "TCM Apocalypse" crowd shares much in common with those who focus on a certain birth certificate.

The paranoia and anger seems almost like a security blanket. No amount of evidence will ever dissuade them from their end-of-days appraoch to this cable channel's programming. I sometimes wonder if they ever relax and enjoy movies...or if they just memorize the schedule each month for evidence in their "case."

Oh My I'm so jetlagged. Just back from another spectacularly successful TCM Classic Film Festival in LA...you know...from that channel that is giving up on classic movies :)

> {quote:title=JonasEB wrote:}{quote}

> They're showing a bunch of movies Roger Ebert is featuring or featured at his Ebertfest festival, movies that he thinks are undervalued or not seen as much as they should be.

>

> http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/382998|0/A-Salute-to-Ebertfest-5-2.html

>

> Christ, this isn't a big deal, calm down...

Agreed; relax, everybody. The films suited the Ebertfest concept.

yes, i agree they are showing some junky stuff lately, some of the newer films do not belong on TCM, give us the classic stars, Garbo, Crawford, Davis, Grant, Hepburn, Bogey, the list is so vast, we want classic films, and please stop showing the garbagy 1921 silent Camille with Nazinova, or whatever her name is, it is a terrible film, even Valentino looks silly in this nonsense, show the great classic version of 1937 thank you very much, and show some early films of these stars too, stop showing the same films, there are so many classic films that these folks made!

I tend to agree with you that most of those that complain are way over the top, but times do change and thus there is a legit concern that things at TCM might change 'too much'.

For example, as a Jazz fan here in So Cal I love the local, non profit, commercial free station we have but it has changed.

First they added blues on the weekend. Than latin jazz, than more softer jazz, etc....

Hey, it still is mostly classic jazz and some of this other jazz is good music but they did change to try to increase their member base.

But there is no need for the type of sky is falling nonsense we see too often here.

> {quote:title=MovieMadness wrote:}{quote}

> Didn't Bing Crosby do some rap on the Road to Zanzibar?

Yeah, but it was a bad rap, so he beat it.

I don't think a tinfoil hat is enough. I think I'll have to start wearing a lead foil hat, to deflect some of the incredibullsh*t around here. I guess there's a chicken little born every day. Or, two, or three, or...

> The paranoia and anger seems almost like a security blanket. No amount of evidence will ever dissuade them from their end-of-days appraoch to this cable channel's programming. I sometimes wonder if they ever relax and enjoy movies...or if they just memorize the schedule each month for evidence in their "case."

>

Hmmm, I wonder if you wrote the same thing on AMC's old message board when they started adding commercials before and after films. But, just what would it take to raise YOUR red flag, that TCM IS GOING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION, Infomercials about ShamWow????? By that time it would be too late to do anything about it.

TCM isn't showing commercials, except the odd one here and there, for their own products. If they start showing regular commercials, like commercial channels, like AMC, that will raise my red flag.

*But there is no need for the type of sky is falling nonsense we see too often here.*

Agreed; relax, everybody. The films suited the Ebertfest concept.

The problem is that the "Ebertfest Concept" doesn't suit the TCM concept IMHO.

The reason people here react the way they do is because we've seen it happen before. Time was when AMC was a great outlet to broadcast classic films, uncut and commercial free. It even had some great complementary original programming. But in obvious efforts to appeal to younger demographics, first came pop-ups, followed shortly by an increase of more recent junky movies, and then the commercial breaks.

A decade or so ago, FMC also had a much larger ratio of Classic Hollywood movies to recent movies than now, plus relevant original programming, although in the last year or so the channel has started to play their classics a bit more frequently and in better time periods. But many of its classic movies are shown way too frequently (along with all the junky more recent stuff), when the vast majority don't ever seem to get rotated in anymore.

So it's not impossible that the same can't happen to TCM.

You are right it *could* happen. I hope not but anything is possible.

But the point people are trying to make is just because they show the random recent movie (which they have always done) or have commercials for their own products (which are not even real commercials for anyone who understands the concept of advertising) does not mean the channel is changing now.

I don't know the only other channel I watch regularly is GSN for their classic game shows. It is like night and day how these two channels are. Maybe that is why I feel these complaints are ridiculous because I can see what a bad channel is really like.