Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was curious: did the newly restored version of Hoopla have English titles at the beginning and end? The version I saw at Film Forum a few years ago had French titles at the beginning with no soundtrack and also French titles at the end. It made me wonder if the original nitrate print was lost and this was the only one still around.

{quote:title=midnight08 wrote:}I was curious: did the newly restored version of Hoopla have English titles at the beginning and end? The version I saw at Film Forum a few years ago had French titles at the beginning with no soundtrack and also French titles at the end. It made me wonder if the original nitrate print was lost and this was the only one still around.{quote}

We saw the premiere of MoMA's nicely restored print which reunited the original English titles to the film. Soundtrack is in tact, and Clara Bow's final close-up is rich and beautiful! The original screening was so popular, it was brought back as an encore on the final day of the Festival.

I'm trying to remember the discussion for this film...David Stern said that the film was in Fox archives before it went up in flames when a fire took place. Hence why he was eager, asking the MoMA to restore and preserve this print as their top priority.

Not sure where they found this print, maybe it's a British release? I know that the titles were in English as I remember scanning the names of the characters at the end.

As I remember it David Stern said the camera negative for HOOP-LA was the only one from that era _not_ in the big FOX fire. And that the print we saw came from that source.

His talk before hand was quite informative and left me with a new found appreciation for Bow. Which her performance in the flim cemented.

Yancey