Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
yanceycravat

Jackie Cooper RIP @ 88

*"Hi Kyle, do you think it is possible that they would create the TCM Remembers montages and bank them? I have always thought this was something that was done last minute."* - LoveFilmNoir

While the TCM On-Air group that produce "TCM Remembers" promos are wizards at what they do, I don't know if even they could put together a new piece in less than 12 hours - which was the case with the Jackie Cooper spot which premiered last evening. It just seemed too fast not to have been prepared earlier for broadcast when the day arrived.

But I could be wrong.

Kyle In Hollywood

Newspapers bank obituaries of beloved stars so they can be prepared when the news breaks.

MrCutter used to be an editor for a major nightly news broadcast and says that news organizations also bank visual obituaries of beloved stars which they update periodically so that when the beloved star does pass away, they have it all but ready to put on the air.

It would make sense that TCM's On-Air department would follow a similar course.

I have always loved TCM and I especially like the way in which it announces a passing of a STAR. The brown colored "windshield of death" is a very proper was to let its fans know. Since I havent really watched any other station since as of yesterday for almost 16 years to me it is a very important signal. I have just recently came to this web site and am in complete awe of the vast knowledge of movie history by the people here.

lzcutter -

Thanks for posting the update... I'd been wondering. Marked a special place in my Now Playing Guide so I'll be sure to watch.

Yancey

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> Newspapers bank obituaries of beloved stars so they can be prepared when the news breaks.

>

> MrCutter used to be an editor for a major nightly news broadcast and says that news organizations also bank visual obituaries of beloved stars which they update periodically so that when the beloved star does pass away, they have it all but ready to put on the air.

>

> It would make sense that TCM's On-Air department would follow a similar course.

lz, I have heard of this practice with newspapers as well. I remember meeting someone who interned at NBC Nightly News a few years back and they told me the end of the year tribute to those who passed that year (which they only air once and lasts about 3 minutes) takes a few weeks to put together. It is a mix of stills and clips of movies, television shows and interviews with a snippet of the actual audio.

I can't imagine working for TCM and having put together a TCM Remembers in advance for some of the stars we listed in that other thread about our favorite stars still living.

Personally I think its great the way it informs its viewers of news in the movie world. No need to change a thing. And you make it that there is no real need to watch any other channels.

I too am vastly impressed by the knowledge of many of the folks on this site. There's always room for my opinion & rather scant knowledge though. Some users have been quite helpful & have given some great tips on many subjects relating to films. Welcome...

> Newspapers bank obituaries of beloved stars so they can be prepared when the news breaks.

>

> MrCutter used to be an editor for a major nightly news broadcast and says that news organizations also bank visual obituaries of beloved stars which they update periodically so that when the beloved star does pass away, they have it all but ready to put on the air.

>

> It would make sense that TCM's On-Air department would follow a similar course.

Lynn,

How does TCM decide which stars they are going to "bank" and which they don't? Do you think they had one "banked" for Elizabeth Taylor?

Robbie

*How does TCM decide which stars they are going to "bank" and which they don't? Do you think they had one "banked" for Elizabeth Taylor?*

Robbie,

I don't know for a fact that TCM has any visual obits banked. It just makes sense that they might for stars for stars like Taylor and Cooper. If not banked, then at least at in rough cut, so they can turn them around quickly rather than starting from scratch.

Again, it's just my opinion based on what others do.

>

>

Same here - have a step -relative who was a producer at Headline News, and we talked about the same thing - this was when both Sammy Davis, Jr and Jim Henson passed away around the same time - everybody knew Sammy was gravely ill, so there was plenty of time to get rights clearances, and put together nice 5 minute retrospectives of his career. However, Henson passed away quite sadly and suddenly, so there was NO time to such a thing, and EVERY news organization had a rather skimpy little flash by of Muppets and Sesame St. He said that a place like CNN has a producer - usually someone new - that total job is keeping 'the morgue' up to date, and making new reels as they go along - for celebs they have a watch for, or who are REAL famous and either elderly or it is public knowledge they are gravely ill.

Timing is everything. Farley Granger got only a few days of "TCM Remembers" tributes before another celebrity death, but Jackie Cooper is getting a well-deserved full week.

I've never seen TCM overlap "TCM Remembers" spots for different people over the same days. Does anyone else recall?

> {quote:title=NewYorkGuy wrote:}{quote}

> Timing is everything. Farley Granger got only a few days of "TCM Remembers" tributes before another celebrity death, but Jackie Cooper is getting a well-deserved full week.

>

> I've never seen TCM overlap "TCM Remembers" spots for different people over the same days. Does anyone else recall?

Farley's surprised me as the only time I saw his, was via a movie I recorded to DVR and was expecting it to be Liz Taylor.

But Tony Curtis and director Arthur Penn had overlapping spots last fall.