Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Strange Casting Decisions with Wonderful Results

> {quote:title=stjohnrv wrote:}{quote}

> THE DUKE as Genghis Khan in the Conqueror did it produce wonderful results I don't know, but it definitely produces wonderfully hilarious results. Does that count?

That would be blunderful results... :)

Jean Arthur in Only Angels Have Wings - I don't know that I'd call the results really "wonderful," but I love how miscast she was in this. You can just tell what Hawks was going for--the To Have and Have Not dynamic, but that's just not what she was. She's not tough-n-sexy enough to play it cool when Grant blows her off, she just lets the humiliation hit her, full force, which few actresses ever think to do. She seems no match for Rita Hayworth, and I guess she isn't, but she's also got this injured unicorn quality that means that she can almost always believably get her man in the end, as she does here, because at the end of the day, no matter how you slice it, there's no one like her.

Cary Grant in Only Angels Have Wings - Most people cite this as a bad example of miscasting, as this is clearly written for a Bogart, but I like what happens when Cary Grant does it.

Humphrey Bogart in Sabrina - the opposite scenario: Bogart in a part written for Cary Grant. I like what he brings to this, and the main romantic obstacle --- his alleged marriage to the company --- is a much more believable roadblock. You believe it when he says he hasn't done this since college.

Yeah I agree there were a host of cast members & crew who became ill and passed away following their appearance in the Conqueror, I think Agnes Moorehead was another., tragic results for certain.

At the time, the casting of established comedienne Lily Tomlin in "Nashville" in a seriously dramatic part was kind of unusual, but her performance was so marvelous and she gave the picture such needed gravity that I cannot think of any performance by any actress in any part that has ever impressed me so much.

> {quote:title=Kinokima wrote:}{quote}

> How about Katharine Hepburn in Bringing up Baby? The screwball heroine is not how I would classify her but I think she is excellent in this film and it is one of her best performances.

And it opened up a whole new type of role for her--she'd never really done a lot comedy up to that point--just Stage Door, which more like a "dramedy" and Holiday (can't remember which came first--Baby or Holiday) and next thing you know, she was starring in The Philadelphia Story, Woman of the Year, Adam's Rib, Pat and Mike, Desk Set ...

I have to second Bogie in SABRINA. He is amazing in that part, completely believable, for once is allowed not to play "the tough guy" (well, he's tough, but not in the same way), and certainly is not the obvious choice.