Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
wolfjohnson303

Sense of community at film festival

One thing that struck me at the festival was the true sense of community. It frankly surprised me because I couldn't quite imagine how there could be that feel when people are in the midst of Hollywood. I attended the Telluride Film Festival 20 years ago, and it was pretty easy to create that feeling because the festival took over the entire town (which is gorgeous but pretty small). Pretty much everyone in Telluride during that time either was attending the festival or working in the town.

Somehow, TCM pulled it off in the middle of Hollywood Blvd. It was great seeing people walking around wearing the festival pass, and I'd strike up conversations with total strangers (and vice versa) while waiting to cross the street or walking to my hotel a couple of blocks away.

Kudos again. Wolfie

Wolfie, I couldn't agree more. Waiting an hour in line to have Leslie Caron autograph her book turned out to be fun because of all the enthusiastic people who knew so much about movies and were eager to talk about them. At the last film of the festival, there were conversations across four rows in Mann's 3 about the various films we'd seen during the festival.

And I couldn't agree with you more about the waiting in line. My family and friends almost choked laughing when I told them how long and how often I'd waited in line during the four days (as you can guess, that's not exactly my strong suit). But the time just flew by, and chatting with others while in line or in theatres before films started was one of the best parts of the festival. It's all part of the festival experience .. and community.

Wonderful comments, Wolf and Kingrat, that I completely agree with. Meeting and visiting with folks while waiting in line or seated in a crowded theater before a favorite feature begins engenders that sense of community that infused and energized the entire festival. Club TCM was also a "hub" for socializing with such an international crowd.

I love to schmooze....

You're so right. This was actually my favorite aspect of the entire festival. I felt I was "home" and with family. I tend to become shy at crowded events like big parties (it's true SueSue, I am shy!), and felt a little of this at the opening party; but quickly discovered all one need do is stand in line for one of the movies. By the time you've entered the theatre you have made five new friends. Multiply that by the number of queues we shared over the four days, and we have quite an extensive social circle. By the closing party I felt like "Mr. Schmooze".

The basis of this social ease, of course, is our shared love of classic film. What a luxury to be able to mention to anyone within earshot something about Helen Broderick, Eric Blore or Mabel Normand and have them know who you're talking about!

I'm presently reading the biography of Hattie McDaniel. I carried this book with me the first day of the fest, intending to catch up with the reading while in queue. By Day Two I'd given up. Meeting film fans from around the country was far more interesting than nestling with Hattie (apologies Miss McDaniel!).

It was certainly a very warm atmostphere at the Festival. I kept wondering if there would pushing, shoving and angry words but there were none that I saw.

Despite it being against policy people happily held seats and places in line and I never heard anyone complain. FOlks shared memories about actors they met and movies they saw. Ideas and comments regarding all things TCM flowed freel.

If only the whole world could only be a little more like the TCM Classic Film Festival it might just be a better place.

Anyone else feeling post Festival let-down?

I know I am!

Yancey

*Anyone else feeling post Festival let-down?*

Yancey,

You betcha! That and an overwhelming desire to sleep.

While I did the extensive recaps in the 2011 Recaps thread, I got to relive the fun and joy of the weekend!

{quote:title=yanceycravat wrote:}Despite it being against policy people happily held seats and places in line and I never heard anyone complain. Folks shared memories about actors they met and movies they saw. Ideas and comments regarding all things TCM flowed freel.{quote}

The queue numbers kept line saving complications to a minimum. If they didn't have the number they couldn't get in the line earlier. However, I did witness one very minor skirmish at the Egyptian when a fellow came in and saw an empty seat. The lady next to the seat said she was saving it; to which he replied, "That's against the rules." She said, "he only went to the bathroom, it's not like I'm saving a seat for someone who isn't here yet! Sheesh!" He rolled his eyes and moved on. That was the only drama I saw though. I loved the queues and met many interesting people from all over the world.

{quote:title=yanceycravat wrote:}Anyone else feeling post Festival let-down?{quote}

I'm still floating on a residual high from the weekend. I think going on the Warner Brothers Studio tour the following day was a great way to ease myself gently out of the fest while keeping the spirits buoyant. I'm also still dazzled by your memories of being on the MGM lot. I told Lynn I thought you should guide us through the surrounding neighborhood pointing out where locations used to be. ["See this duplex? That's where the Showboat was."]

By the way, I went to a favorite local bookstore today to buy the MGM Backlot book. The salesgal said it was sold out and offered to order it. Yes please. "But wait, it's on backorder. It looks as if the entire first printing is sold out." This book was only published in February and it's sold out? Once again, it seems there is more of a market in classic movies than the studios give credit.

Very much so Yancey!

It was four days of classic film bliss. I had to get back to work Monday, but I simply could not get "West Side Story" on the big screen out of my mind.

It was my first festival and I'm already looking forward to next year. I love the new TCM concept of "its not just a network, but a community." So true. I felt it everyday.

> {quote:title=Boyer56 wrote:} I love the new TCM concept of "its not just a network, but a community." So true. I felt it everyday. {quote}

It's always been my impression that TCM, more than any other channel anywhere, considers their fan base more than just paying customers. From what I saw at the Festival it really is a community. I believe I heard Ben Mankiewicz say as much in one of his televised interviews.

For one thing I know people are very protective of their favorite films and film stars. TCM allows them to share in their love of these classics.

It's amazing to me, all these years after AMC when down the tubes as a classic movie channel, people still feel betrayed. Fortunately AMC's demise only strengthened TCM's popularity and sense of community. Seems to me every viewer wants to protect it from a similar demise.

Is there anyone on any other channel as beloved to their viewers as much as RO is? Does any other channel allow the viewers to have a say in programming as much as TCM does? Does anyone care about their content as much as the TCM employees do?

We're only here a short time and maybe others feel as I do that, in some small way, we're the guardians of these memories until the next generation of viewers comes along to take our place. Making sure these films, the stars, the stories will never disappear.

Yancey

As I was standing in line at The Egyptian for *The Parent Trap*, I overheard a passholder say to another: "I've found my tribe." Amen to that !

Cinecrazy DC

Edited by: cinecrazydc on May 9, 2011 8:21 AM