Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Groovy flix on TCM week of May 9th!

Upcoming grooves on TCM for the week of May 9th!!

Lots more to groove to this week on TCM!!! First don't miss the groovy Silent flick this Sunday, from 1929, THE DIVINE LADY!!! Then later on Monday morning, it's a 3rd version of MADAME X!! I'm kinda looking forward to seeing this one from 1937, with Gladys George in the lead. Later on the same day, Lucille Ball with a great cast in the thriller, LURED (1947)! Cast includes Boris Karloff, George Sanders, George Zucco, Cedric Hardwicke, Joseph Calleia, Alan Mowbray, and Charles Coburn! Wow!

Tuesday is rocking out with early morning zaniness at the Opera with the Marx Bros, in A NIGHT AT THE OPERA (1935), many feel their best MGM film! This is followed by the great crime/spoof entry starring Eddie G, Bogie and Claire Trevor, THE AMAZING DR. CLITTERHOUSE (1938)!! If you haven't seen this one, I highly recommend it, it's very groovy! Eddie G shows back up on Tuesday with the gripping CONFESSIONS OF A NAZI SPY (1939), and this is followed by Cagney himself along with Bogie in THE ROARING TWENTIES (1939)!!! Heavy hitters on Tuesday!!

Some groovy flix on Tuesday night for the monthly theme about horse track racing, including MY BROTHER TALKS TO HORSES (1946), SHE WENT TO THE RACES (1945), THOROUGHBREDS DON'T CRY (1937)--with The Mick!!, THE DAY THE BOOKIES WEPT (1939) with Betty Grable!!, and BOOTS MALONE (1952) with William Holden.

If you are digging on Miss Marple and Margaret Rutherford, you will be grooving to Wednesday as there is an incredible lineup of her flicks: MURDER SHE SAID (1961), MURDER AT THE GALLOP (1963), MURDER MOST FOUL (1963), and MURDER AHOY (1964)!

The crown jewel groove of the week happens for me right in the middle, with a Wednesday night tribute to the luscious Joan Bennett!!!! It kicks off with one of the all-time greats with Eddie G and sleaze-meister himself, Dan Duryea, in SCARLET STREET (1945)!!! Fritz Lang directs and it's a winner!! This is followed by a flick I've not seen before, TRADE WINDS (1938) with Frederic March?I'm looking forward to seeing this one!! The grooves continue all night and into the morning with THE HOUSEKEEPER'S DAUGHTER (1939), THE WOMAN ON THE BEACH (1947), a very groovy flick with Robert Ryan and Charles Bickford!, and it closes out with the wacky pre-code ELEVEN MEN AND A GIRL (1930), with Joe E. Brown!!!

RIP Jackie Cooper, Friday will have a day long tribute in his honor, including the great 1931 THE CHAMP, and several other pre-codes and 30's films, including the 1932 DIVORCE IN THE FAMILY! I was a bit bummed to see RIFFRAFF, a 1947 mystery/comedy starring Pat O'Brien, was bumped from the lineup, but I'm hopeful it will be re-scheduled, if not already.

Saturday morning is always pretty groovy these days on TCM! Kicking it off with MURDER, MY SWEET, the great 1944 mystery with Dick Powell, Otto Kruger, Anne Shirley and Claire Trevor! This is followed by a flick I've not seen before, THE GHOST GOES WEST from 1935! Starring Robert Donat and Eugene Pallette, sounds like my cup of tea!! Then the weekly serial chapters from BUCK ROGERS!!! And wow, we are now into the RKO days for Johnny Weissmuller in TARZAN TRIUMPHS (1943)!! Always groovy!!

Sunday I know I'm checking out the Thelma Todd pre-code THIS IS THE NIGHT, along with Cary Grant!! Love me some Thelma!!! :) Evening is devoted to ?Rasputin? and I'm totally grooving to the 1932 RASPUTIN AND THE EMPRESS with the Barrymore brood, John, Lionel, and Ethel!! Later another silent treat with Silent Sunday Night, and THE GARDEN OF EDEN from 1928, starring Corinne Griffith!

Happy Mother's Day everyone and many happy groovy viewings on TCM!!

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> If you are digging on Miss Marple and Margaret Rutherford, you will be grooving to Wednesday as there is an incredible lineup of her flicks: MURDER SHE SAID (1961), MURDER AT THE GALLOP (1963), MURDER MOST FOUL (1963), and MURDER AHOY (1964)!

I love the Margaret Rutherford films! I was hoping TCM would show them all in a block again. In the past year it seems like they just show one at a time, like when they showed Murder at the Gallop not too long ago. I've been hoping for a marathon again!

>

> The crown jewel groove of the week happens for me right in the middle, with a Wednesday night tribute to the luscious Joan Bennett!!!! It kicks off with one of the all-time greats with Eddie G and sleaze-meister himself, Dan Duryea, in SCARLET STREET (1945)!!! Fritz Lang directs and it's a winner!! This is followed by a flick I've not seen before, TRADE WINDS (1938) with Frederic March?I'm looking forward to seeing this one!! The grooves continue all night and into the morning with THE HOUSEKEEPER'S DAUGHTER (1939), THE WOMAN ON THE BEACH (1947), a very groovy flick with Robert Ryan and Charles Bickford!, and it closes out with the wacky pre-code ELEVEN MEN AND A GIRL (1930), with Joe E. Brown!!!

>

Scarlett Street is a classic! I remember watching an analysis of it in the PBS series American Cinema hosted by John Lithgow, in the episode "Film Noir." Joan Bennett and Edward G. Robinson are fantastic in this movie. I think Joan Bennett was a much better actress than she was given credit for over her career.

Thanks, Mark, for another great summary of upcoming films for the week!

Robbie

Hi Robbie,

Very glad to hear you'll be grooving to the Miss Marple flix on Wednesday!!!

And I fully agree, Joan Bennett was a marvelous actress who I always enjoy in quite a lot of films. She was in quite a few noirs in the 40's and all of them are great to watch, with probably SCARLET STREET the best of the bunch. She and Eddie G really performed well together, in a great film!

Ah, I can now plan my TV week having perused Mark B's "Groovy Views."

Mark-o...you rock!

Very much looking forward to the Joan Bennett evening; I've heard a radio version of "Trade Winds" (Ms. Bennett and Errol Flynn) but do not recall ever having seen the film.

-Arch

*Mark*, as usual, I'm very glad to see your upcoming groovy flix post. I don't like to plan my TCM viewing/recording without it.

The Joan Bennett films will probably be my favorites this week. I've been a fan since I first saw her on the gothic soap DARK SHADOWS.

> {quote:title=sewannie wrote:}{quote}

> The Joan Bennett films will probably be my favorites this week. I've been a fan since I first saw her on the gothic soap DARK SHADOWS.

sewannie,

That's when I first became of fan of Joan Bennett, watching Dark Shadows. Then thanks to TCM and PBS I discovered all her great work in film. With some exceptions, like you and me, I think a lot of fans of Dark Shadows have a bad impression of her because of the flubs that they didn't have time to reshoot. Jonathan Frid, Joan Bennett, and Grayson Hall sometimes flubbed their lines and the show didn't have the budget to do a retake, and I think some viewers allowed that to influence their impressions of the actors' acting ability. The truth is that most actors do that occasionally, and we never see it because most shows and films have the budget to do a retake.

Joan Bennett, IMO, was a great actress who may not have gotten as much recognition as she deserved during her career. I really loved her in There's Always Tomorrow with Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck (my absolutely favorite actress).

Robbie

> *Mark*, as usual, I'm very glad to see your upcoming groovy flix post. I don't like to plan my TCM viewing/recording without it.

Oh, and I'm the same way, I read Mark's post to help plan my viewing for the week. Sometimes I'm a little afraid to read it because there may be so much groovy stuff for the week that I may not be able to watch or record it all. :-) But I read it anyway, because it has so much helpful info, and I'm certainly "addicted" to TCM. Thanks, Mark!

Robbie

Mark, once again, thanks for the post!

I'm looking forward to the Noirs/crime films on Tuesday, Joan Bennett night on Thursday (I've only seen Scarlet Street from the public domain site) and Murder My Sweet on Saturday morning (I love Dick Powell in film noir!)

I also look forward to seeing Cary Grant in "This is The Night"

> {quote:title=voranis wrote:}{quote}>

> Joan Bennett, IMO, was a great actress who may not have gotten as much recognition as she deserved during her career. I really loved her in There's Always Tomorrow with Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck (my absolutely favorite actress).

>

> Robbie

That's a movie that I think I'd like...love Joan Bennett and Barbara Stanwyck. I can't say she is my absolute fav but ranks in my top 5.

I simply cannot wait for Scarlet Street. It's the highlight of the week for me.

The lousy quality of the DVD's out there is very well known. Only the Kino DVD is of a solid quality, and so far as I know Netflix doesn't carry that print.

I've been waiting for a long time to see a quality print of this. I'm so ready for it!

I hope all watched *Mother* (1952). It is a very powerful and touching movie made all the more rare as it is very nearly Naruse being cheerful. I had meant to post a reminder that it was upcoming but time ran off with me. I hope my recorder captured all of it.

I believe *The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse* (1938) is a gem. He does the things a gangster does but he is not a gangster. I love the jury's reason at the end!

There are several which I have not seen but which look very interesting. *The Housekeeper's Daughter* (1939) stands out as one which may be wonderful. I have seen only the first few minutes of *The Ghost Goes West* (1935) and I hope to be able to see all of it this time.

I have always like *The Journey* (1959) and I hope all watch it.

Another DARK SHADOWS fan reporting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the print of SCARLET STREET will be good. TRADE WINDS is the film where Joan Bennett's character dyed her blonde hair when she was on the run, and the brunette look worked so well that Joan kept it. Am very much looking forward to seeing that.

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

> I believe *The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse* (1938) is a gem. He does the things a gangster does but he is not a gangster. I love the jury's reason at the end!

I love this movie too. Eddie G is really fun in it, and in addition has my buddy, Allen Jenkins :)

Looking forward to Joan B. night on Wed. (am having surgery on my arm on Thurs, so that will keep my mind off it) Have never seen Tradewinds, and a long time since Scarlet Street. Will record some of th others........Bummed I forgot to record Madame X!!!!!!!! KNEW there was something last night I needed to set! :((((((((

I'm doing some early morning grooving to the Marx Bros! Great way to start a work day! And coming up, THE AMAZING DR. CLITTERHOUSE!!! From 1938, this is a fun spoof on gangster and crime films, in only the way Eddie G could pull it off! Great supporting cast, and of course it features the saucy dame, Claire Trevor, and Bogie in his usual tough guy role, as a bad guy in the 30's.

Later today, THE SISTERS, CONFESSIONS OF A NAZI SPY, and THE ROARING TWENTIES, which is one of the best gangster flix of all time, with Bogie again as the bad guy, and Jimmy Cagney!

> {quote:title=goodvibe61 wrote:}{quote}

> I simply cannot wait for Scarlet Street. It's the highlight of the week for me.

>

> The lousy quality of the DVD's out there is very well known. Only the Kino DVD is of a solid quality, and so far as I know Netflix doesn't carry that print.

>

> I've been waiting for a long time to see a quality print of this. I'm so ready for it!

goodvibe61, Scarlet Street is also the highlight of the week for me as well. I have watched this film on DVD and streaming online and the quality has been lousy, I never seen the Kino print but I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is the version TCM will air tomorrow.

Another public domain film noir that I have yet to see a clear print of is "Too Late For Tears" the film subject is dark but the actual print is even darker - a shame too because Lizabeth Scott is so deliciously evil as a femme fatale. Too bad the interest in cleaning up a print goes out the window when the copyright slips.

Mark and the gang,

Did any of you get to see Gladys George in *Madame X*? I'd never seen her in a lead role before, and I enjoyed her performance quite a bit. She shows the phases of Madame X's life very well, with an excellent variety of vocal delivery, and she communicates the emotions effectively.

> > {quote:title=voranis wrote:}{quote}>

> > Joan Bennett, IMO, was a great actress who may not have gotten as much recognition as she deserved during her career. I really loved her in There's Always Tomorrow with Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck (my absolutely favorite actress).

> >

> > Robbie

>

> That's a movie that I think I'd like...love Joan Bennett and Barbara Stanwyck. I can't say she is my absolute fav but ranks in my top 5.

sewannie,

It's available on DVD now. I had an old VHS recording of it from AMC (back when AMC was much better than it is now), but I have waited years for it to come out on DVD. It's part of The Barbara Stanwyck Collection:

http://shop.tcm.com/product.asp?sku=D81394&directHit=1

Robbie

> {quote:title=kingrat wrote:}{quote}

> Mark and the gang,

>

> Did any of you get to see Gladys George in *Madame X*? I'd never seen her in a lead role before, and I enjoyed her performance quite a bit. She shows the phases of Madame X's life very well, with an excellent variety of vocal delivery, and she communicates the emotions effectively.

I saw it. I've always liked Gladys George, but like you said, I'd never seen here in a leading role before. This was a real treat!

Robbie

>>I never seen the Kino print but I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is the version TCM will air tomorrow.

I have the Kino DVD and what they showed tonight wasn't it as it had another distributor credited. The good news is that the print from what I saw was likely the equal of what I own. Chances are the distributor just "bootlegged" the Kino version. When something is in public domain, you can do that. This is why so few films that have fallen into PD hell are restored, there is too much downside.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}

> >>I never seen the Kino print but I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is the version TCM will air tomorrow.

>

>

> I have the Kino DVD and what they showed tonight wasn't it as it had another distributor credited. The good news is that the print from what I saw was likely the equal of what I own. Chances are the distributor just "bootlegged" the Kino version. *When something is in public domain, you can do that. This is why so few films that have fallen into PD hell are restored, there is too much downside.*

I was very pleased with the print, it's better than what is available online on pd sites.

Regarding the bolded, you're absolutely right clore. On another board, I read that this is the biggest factor that keeps Criterion and Janus from rescuing some of the gems out of PD, particularly ones that have some kind of cult status. They want to give it the "Criterion" treatment but they say the money spent, when some small company will steal their print and sell their $35.99+ DVD for $9.99 won't even allow them to break even let alone profit. It is a sad thing all the way around. I'm grateful some studious took it upon themselves to clean up their pd films and release them (MGM - Kansas City Confidential, The Stranger)