Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
countessdelave

2012 Festival Theme ideas

The TCM Festival staff will be having their postmortem very soon. I know that they'll be discussing this year's festival in depth. They will also start discussing next year's Festival.

One of the major decisions is a theme. This year was Music and the Movies. Last year's theme was Hollywood. Any theme needs to be pretty broad, in order to program a large number of interesting films for the Festival. Since the TCM Programmers do look at the message boards, this may be an opportune time to pitch any themes that you'd like to see next year.

I personally like the idea of a *Transportation* theme or *Screen Sirens and Tough Guys* theme (this could encompass a lot more than Film Noir).

*I personally like the idea of a Transportation theme or Screen Sirens and Tough Guys theme (this could encompass a lot more than Film Noir).*

Countess,

I love the Screen Sirens and Tough Guys idea. I think next to the cowboy icon on the interstitials, the film noir dame icon was a close second in terms of favorite.

One guy leaned over to me and whispered, "I'd like to meet her." while we were watching the interstitials prior to a screening.

If they went in that direction, they could have a salute to post-war Los Angeles, as well, since many of the films that would be featured were filmed on the rain-soaked streets of the City of Angels!

Hi there Countess. If I could offer TCM an idea for their third film festival, I would love them to feature the films of DORIS DAY.

We all know that Ms. Day won't attend the festival (keep pluggin' Darcry!!!) so if we can't bring Muhammad to the mountain...

Mavester, you know I'm with you on the "Doris Day" day theme... perhaps a screening of one of her personal favorites, *Calamity Jane*...we could have a panel with the author of "Considering Doris Day" and focus on just her music with Tom Santopietro...or a panel discussing her strictly dramatic roles. And Darcy Hettrich, we know you are the woman who can make it happen!

(Thank you and your wonderful staff for all that you did for this year!)

And lzcutter and Countess, dears, I absolutely adore the transportation theme!

Even if it just focused on trains...

*Strangers on a Train*, *The Harvey Girls* ("The Atchison, Topeka, and the Santa Fe"), *Brief Encounter*, *Young Frankenstein*, *North by Northwest*, *Murder On The Orient Express*,

*Julia*, *The General*, *The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance*, the possibilities are endless....

Hello there SueSue. You've taken my "DORIS DAY" theme farther than I was thinking. (I lead with my heart not my head when it comes to movies).

I like your idea of your breaking down her career into her music, her forays into drama and having different people speak about her and those different parts to her ( fabulous ) career.

To quote Ilsa: "BRILLIANT!"

Now to piggyback on the TRANSPORTATION theme that the Countess putforth, let's not leave out the noir classic: "THE NARROW MARGIN"

from that endless list of possibilities.

By the by...are we all going to get any more bloggin' from you about your trip to the film fest? I saw you flitting about from place to place in one cool outfit after another (as was the Countess). I still envision you by the pool...cigs in one hand, your phone in the other and a drink in the other.

Huh? Yeah, I was drinking and saw triples. Get to writin' Tex!

;-)

{quote:title=SueSueApplegate wrote:}And lzcutter and Countess, dears, I absolutely adore the transportation theme!

Even if it just focused on trains...

*Strangers on a Train*, *The Harvey Girls* ("The Atchison, Topeka, and the Santa Fe"), *Brief Encounter*, *Young Frankenstein*, *North by Northwest*, *Murder On The Orient Express*,

*Julia*, *The General*, *The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance*, the possibilities are endless....

{quote}

Please promise me you'll include Since You Went Away in the train fest. This Selznick beauty features two of my favorite train scenes: Jennifer Jones' farewell to Robert Walker (how fitting, since they were divorcing at the time of filming) and the singing/dancing soldiers on the train to D.C. as the family goes to (unsuccessfully]) rendez-vous with their father.

And No Man of Her Own and Some Like it Hot and Twentieth Century... okay, you're right -- the possibilities are endless.

> Please promise me you'll include Since You Went Away in the train fest. This Selznick beauty features two of my favorite train scenes: Jennifer Jones' farewell to Robert Walker (how fitting, since they were divorcing at the time of filming) and the singing/dancing soldiers on the train to D.C. as the family goes to (unsuccessfully]) rendez-vous with their father.

> And No Man of Her Own and Some Like it Hot and Twentieth Century... okay, you're right -- the possibilities are endless.

The ultimate train farce....*Some Like It Hot*...a man pretending to be a woman drinking gin with a woman who is only ultimately in love with somebody who pretends to be Cary Grant... and other great train scenes, Jack, are just like you said in *Since You Went Away* .

Yes, I adore a 2012 Train Theme...

So let's send for the porter so I can unlock the top bunk where Cary Grant is waiting for me!

_.................................................................................................................................._

_......l............l............l.............l...........l.........l.........l..........l.........l.........l..........l.......l...._

Finally working through the Civil War theme from April's schedule, I'm watching Shirley Temple and thinking, why not? I mean, why not a theme around child actors?

Surely (no pun intended, Mr. Nielsen), there are enough of these folks still around to make it interesting, right?

So, in closing, I think TCM's work is now done. Trains and child actors. And, though my personal favorite for classic films are crime/noir/suspense entries, Eddie Muller does just fine with his Noir fest. Hard to replicate his film introductions/discussions with anyone else.

David in Seattle

*And, though my personal favorite for classic films are crime/noir/suspense entries, Eddie Muller does just fine with his Noir fest. Hard to replicate his film introductions/discussions with anyone else.*

David,

While I agree with you about Eddie Muller, one of the things MrCutter and I heard time after time over all four days from people all over the country was the lack of theaters in their home towns and cities that show classic films.

For many TCM fans and festival goers, those four days in Hollywood are their only opportunity to see films the way they weren't meant to be seen.