Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Filmdom's Greatest Fatmen.

Caught the last hour or so of *From Here to Eternity* . (I've seen it so many times, I can just pick it up at any point ). Remember the scene in which Frank Sinatra escapes from the military prison and tells his story to Montgomery Clift, describing how every time Fatso hit him, he'd spit in his eye? But Fatso was a sadist, and poor Frank didn't stand a chance against him. I love the way he says,

"He hit me...he hit me...he hit me..." Then he dies in Prew's arms.

Anyway, I guess Ernest Borgnine was perceived as a fat man, since his nickname in the movie was "Fatso".

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> I guess that people willingly accept the nickname of Fats or Fatso.

>

Somehow it seems less insulting when a tall thin guy is called "Silm" (such as Slim Summerville).

But I'm sure some of those called Fats or Fatso resented the name. I've heard that Roscoe Arbuckle hated the name "Fatty" but had to put up with it during his career. And knowing that now, fans who love and respect him and his work refuse to refer to him as "Fatty", only as Roscoe.

> {quote:title=Ascotrudgeracer wrote:}{quote}

> In no particular order:

> 1. Burl Ives

> 2. Francis L. Sullivan

> 3. Greenstreet

>

> I'm interested in your picks.

>

Although the following three large gentlemen were known primarily as bandleaders, they each appeared in a few films, so I think they can be mentioned here:

Paul Whiteman

Dick Rich

Teddy Brown

If you're going to mention Vernon Dent and Eric Campbell, then we must include Bud Jamison, Tiny Sandford, Tom Kennedy and, of course, Edgar Kennedy. Tom and Edgar were not related. Let's also not forget Ben Weldon, Herb Vigran, John Doucette, James Robertson Justice, and in the modern era, a not so svelte Jack Black.

I had no idea this list would be as long as it is. Since somebody has already mentioned Peter Whitney I'll add Robert Middleton, David Huddleston, and Charles Durning (who is still around to get much deserved appreciation).

If nothing else this proves that substance can win out over style if the talent is there. If these guys wern't quite the "men of our dreams" they gave us plenty of entertainment the TD&H ones might not have been able to do. Thanks a lot, fellows.

> {quote:title=MilesArcher wrote:}{quote}

> If you're going to mention Vernon Dent and Eric Campbell, then we must include Bud Jamison, Tiny Sandford, Tom Kennedy and, of course, Edgar Kennedy. Tom and Edgar were not related. Let's also not forget Ben Weldon, Herb Vigran, John Doucette, James Robertson Justice...

>

Yes, I did think of some of those names. But since the thread is about fat men I tried to limit those I listed and not include guys who I'd describe more as "big guys" rather than fat guys. I know it's a fine line, but some guys were just big, not necessarily fat.

> If men will accept a nickname because they are fat, will they also accept a nickname because they have personality flaws?............Hi, I'm A**hole Thompson.

>

> Edited by: finance on May 29, 2011 3:47 PM

****face Willoughby. Pleased to meet you!

I don't think anyone mentioned character actor *William Conrad*. Even when he was younger and doing supporting parts in noir offerings like TENSION and DIAL 1119, he was already a hefty sort of guy.

Of course, television audiences would know him for his roles as detective Cannon and of course, McCabe, the pudgy prosecutor of Jake and the Fatman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_and_the_fatman

> My question is, whatever happened to the guy who played "Jake"?

Yes, whatever happened to actor Joe Penny? He was all the rage for one hot minute in the 80s.