Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Was Robert Osborne confused during Memorial Day weekend showings?

I could be wrong of course, but when Robert Osborne was giving the lead in synopsis of "Run Silent, Run Deep" just prior to the showing of the movie, he made a statement that made me do a double take. He made reference to the Herman Melville quality of the ships captain (Clark Gable) wanting revenge against a Japanese destroyer. He stated that the revenge was based on the characters (Clark Gable) wife being killed while on a transport by the destroyer. If you will recall, the captains wife was not killed on a transport due to the simple fact that she was in a scene during the beginning of the movie at Perl Harbor before the captain left on patrol. I do believe that he was confusing the sinking of a transport with the Glen Ford movie "Torpedo Run" where the Glen Ford character's wife dies on a transport as a POW. The Clark Gable characters revenge was based on his submarine being sunk by a destroyer. If I'm right then Osborne really was confused. And thats not something I've ever seen from him.

Hi Jerry, welcome to the boards. I didn't see it so I can't say specifically, but I could see how that could happen. Perhaps, you aren't aware that Robert Osborne, flies to TCM's studio in Atlanta once each month and records all the intros, closes and other things like promos for an entire month in just a couple of days. That's a lot of recordings. After doing one after another for hours, it's easy to understand how he might get films confused or not pick up a mistake made by the writer.