Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM color movies look "colorized"

I recorded "Doctor X" & "Mystery of the Wax Museum" & the color is not original. It is colorized. The deep blue is all added since it is not on vhs tapes of same titles. In addition, "Life & Death of Colonel Blimp", "Unguarded Moment", "I Died A Thousand Times" & "Boy With Green Hair" color looks garish not at all like tapes I made off other channels. What we are seeing is an attempt to alter original prints color by people who think we are fools. Who do you think you are kidding?

First I should say that I am woefully ignorant on all things technical related to films, so my "explanation" about "colour movies that look colourized" is totally conjecture.

With that caveat, I will make two observations about this:

1) I suspect that whenever possible, TCM screens "cleaned"/ rejuvenated films - I forget the official term for it. This means that both black and white and colour films will have a stronger, more intense look than films that have not been "cleaned". The b & w movies will be clearer, less fuzzy. The colour movies will be more - well, colourful. Keep in mind that films originally made in colour in the 40s and 50s had a harsher or at least more intense quality than colour films today. The colour film stock was different, and colours in some of those Technicolour musicals, for instance, practically jump off the screen.

So, if TCM has gotten hold of a "cleaned" copy of an original colour film, it will seem more intense than one remembers it to have been.

Of course, I have seen movies that obviously have not been refurbished or "cleaned" (what the h is that word for it?) on TCM; they try, but sometimes it may be a case of the only copy they could get.

2) Even I, a low-tech dunce, know that the fidelity of film -to-video is very poor. I have a huge collection of movies recorded from television ( including stations other than TCM) on videotape, and they're all kind of fuzzy-looking. Videotape just can't copy a film the way newer technologies can. Although this bothers me a little (especially when it comes to film noir) I'm still happy to have many beloved movies in my possession, even if they're on the lower quality videotape instead of DVD or Blue Ray or whatever.

But anyway, if you are comparing TCM screenings of films which you have on VHS, I'm fairly sure that your video versions will be paler, less intense than the TCM copies because video produces inferior reproduction of a film.

I've seen both "Doctor X" & "Mystery of the Wax Museum" but not on TCM. I seen both on an official studio release DVD. The color of the sky was not deep blue, it was a greenish/cyan color.

Both of these films are fine examples of what is commonly called 2 Strip Technicolor, (actually there is only 1 film strip used in a special camera and then a special processing is used).

The colors are more pastel and not saturated like a 3 Strip Technicolor film is. Blues don't reproduce well, The films are predominated by pastel looking green cyan tones, oranges red tones. Flesh tones and browns reproduce well. Personally I think the colors of especially "Mystery of the Wax Museum", look great in their original '2 Strip Technicolor look' adding an eerie look to the Wax Museum.

"I've seen both "Doctor X" & "Mystery of the Wax Museum" but not on TCM. I seen both on an official studio release DVD. The color of the sky was not deep blue, it was a greenish/cyan color.

Both of these films are fine examples of what is commonly called 2 Strip Technicolor, (actually there is only 1 film strip used in a special camera and then a special processing is used).

The colors are more pastel and not saturated like a 3 Strip Technicolor film is. Blues don't reproduce well, The films are predominated by pastel looking green cyan tones, oranges red tones. Flesh tones and browns reproduce well. Personally I think the colors of especially "Mystery of the Wax Museum", look great in their original '2 Strip Technicolor look' adding an eerie look to the Wax Museum. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is what I'm saying. The TCM versions are deep blue even purple. They went & redid the color to whatever intensity they wanted. & did so on "Life & Death of Colonel Blimp", "Boy With Green Hair", & many many others. It is all a dumbing down process. You are too stupid to notice.

Yes the original process was based on Red and Green as primary colors. But don't blame TCM. Have you seen THE BLACK PIRATE Blue-ray that Kino released in December? The Sea should not be so bluish, but Green. Two-color (not Two-strip), Technicolor isn't easy to replicate and restore. Although it was done with BP, they just didn't release the newer restoration that the BFI has. Here is a big thread from Nitrateville on THE BLACK PIRATE release from a few months ago. There is another on THE VIKING, which also mentions WHOOPEE that I am looking for.

http://nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?t=7314

> {quote:title=gatester wrote:}{quote}

> That is what I'm saying. The TCM versions are deep blue even purple. They went & redid the color to whatever intensity they wanted. & did so on "Life & Death of Colonel Blimp", "Boy With Green Hair", & many many others. It is all a dumbing down process. You are too stupid to notice.

Why are you so angry?

i haven't seen the other movies in question but the life and death of colonel blimp has recently received a restoration...here's the link:

http://www.dvdjournal.com/reviews/l/lifeanddeathofcblimp_cc.shtml

i have the essential art house print on dvd and the colour looks pretty much in line with the print tcm plays.

but i'm sure it can't compare with a home recorded video tape.

I run these movies on two identical tvs right & left. On the right one there will be trees with grass in shadows... the grass will look dark as it should. On the left the grass is bright green! as if no shadow is there. the left is the TCM colorized version. The movie is I DIED A THOUSAND TIMES.

You will see these variations in many many movies if you have the capability to compare side by side. You just need to own two identical tvs.

"That is what I'm saying. The TCM versions are deep blue even purple. They went & redid the color to whatever intensity they wanted. & did so on "Life & Death of Colonel Blimp", "Boy With Green Hair", & many many others. It is all a dumbing down process. You are too stupid to notice."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was agreeing with you, that the sky should not be blue. I certainly hope you are not calling me stupid.

They were probably calling me stupid, which was unkind, and politically incorrect to boot. I can't help it if those IQ tests were too hard for me...I thought a score of 70 was pretty darn good. And I don't know how to watch two tv's at the same time.

hi misswonderly nice to hear from you, I'm new to the boards and I would hope all fans of classic movies would enjoy discussion them, not insulting them as did the person who called someone 'stupid'....

Anyway for myself I love classic films but don't claim to be an expert and I'm happy to discuss any aspect of them.

I really recommend "Mystery of the Wax Museum". It is the only color film with Fay Wray, and had Glenda Farrell as lead, she can talk a mile a minute, seriously.

Thanks for the welcome! It's great that many of the classic films are restored, both black and white and color. I seen "Nothing Sacred" 1937 with Carol Lombard and Fredrick March. It was a 3 strip Technicolor film BUT not restored. It was on DVD but looked like a video to DVD transfer. I wonder if that is because of the ownership rights of the film are in question? It was originally released by Selznick International Pictures and so that makes me wonder if that could be the reason it didn't get the full restoration treatment.

Still I enjoyed it.

I doubt that TCM would go the the time and expense of creating a special set of prints solely for the purpose of furthering a unspoken policy of imposing on its viewers alternate color regimes. In fact, TCM makes a big deal of it when it participates in a restoration. More likely is it that the prints TCM gets are ones made with poor reference to the original negatives. Most of the prints we see are very old, much used and faded prints, or prints made from prints, not negatives. It is my thinking TCM has little or no control over the prints it gets for any particular movie, and cannot be assured of the highest quality, unless it is a film that has been restored, like Lawrence of Arabia, or The Red Shoes. Visitors to this site have commented on the variable quality of the the same film from one showing to the next.

If I remember correctly, TCM, or Ted Turner, once pursued a policy of colorizing its (his) stock of black and white films. The resulting firestorm of outrage ended that, and, I think served as the germ for the laudable efforts TCM has made for the restoration of many films.

I am not calling anybody stupid. Its a generality. THEY THINK WE are too stupid to notice. I knew somebody was going to make a wiseass crack. People think they always need to ridicule everything. WARNER BROS. makes special tv masters in which THEY redo the color. OK? They are protecting their property from bootlegs. Real color is natural looking not garish like TCM. " Life & Death of Colonel Blimp" woods are dark brown mahogany not bright brown like veneer. To tell you need to own a copy of the movie before it was redone.

Cost of tvs 10$ I own two Sony 14" from 1984. Now I'm telling you GO OUT & BUY 2 70" flat screen tvs for $5000 each just to make me happy.

OK wiseass kids come on out & play. Your only worth left as a human being is your ability to derail thread with wiseass remarks. Start your own thread when/if you get an idea & then you can wiseass yourself to ecstasy.

"Real color is natural looking not garish like TCM. " Life & Death of Colonel Blimp" woods are dark brown mahogany not bright brown like veneer. To tell you need to own a copy of the movie before it was redone."

so apparently what you are comparing is a print struck before restoration (with fifty years of dirt and color muddle) to a restored print where the dirt has been digitally removed and the colour has been digitally corrected...presumably closer to what natalie kalmus (the original technicolour consultant) had in mind when the movie was released.

that's fine..you enjoy your print.

and i'll enjoy mine.

> {quote:title=Rokkor wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks for the welcome! It's great that many of the classic films are restored, both black and white and color. I seen "Nothing Sacred" 1937 with Carol Lombard and Fredrick March. It was a 3 strip Technicolor film BUT not restored. It was on DVD but looked like a video to DVD transfer. I wonder if that is because of the ownership rights of the film are in question? It was originally released by Selznick International Pictures and so that makes me wonder if that could be the reason it didn't get the full restoration treatment.

>

> Still I enjoyed it.

"Nothing Sacred" is now in the public domain, and DVD prints of the film vary widely. (Fortunately, most only cost a buck or two.) I believe UCLA restored "Nothing Sacred" a few years ago, but I'm not sure if a commercial DVD has been struck from that print.

Yes I am comparing two versions of the film. & the older version has more realistic color. Yes I am stating that. Its my opinion entirely. I own both versions not yours or mine. Both. Realistic wood color is not "dirt". But if you need to make up things to "shoot me down" why dont you judge for yourself & you'll end up agreeing with me. Try & find an old vhs.

*Troll alert!*

Someone obviously has no life, and joined just a few days ago just to start trouble with this thread.

> {quote:title=gatester wrote:}{quote}

> OK wiseass kids come on out & play. Your only worth left as a human being is your ability to derail thread with wiseass remarks. Start your own thread when/if you get an idea & then you can wiseass yourself to ecstasy.