Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why All The Repeats?

Kuklapolitan

It's six months into the year and I can only wonder why there are so many repeats over these last months. I have only been watching since last summer and have the 2011 Movie Guide which lists the thousands of titles that you have for sale. Do you not also have these titles in your archives? Here I am watching "Oceans Eleven" for at least the fourth time this year. I usually begin watching at about 2:00 PM in the afternoon and never change the channel until a little after 10:00 PM at night. There are so many movies you never air and yet all the repeats in this time frame are too numerous to mention. I think your scheduling is really awful and don't understand why it should be that way. Please address this issue so that your audience is a bit more satisfied with what the channel offers.

This "issue" has already been brought up and answered in another thread somewhere on the boards, and the answer is simple:

When TCM licenses out a movie from a studio, their licensing contract states the movie has to be shown a certain number of times over the period that TCM is showing it...hence the number of repeats. Just as an example, if TCM licenses out to show a movie 20 times over a year, then that's how many times they generally have to show it, whether they show it 20 times in six months or 20 times over the entire year.

Not quite true...Try searching the boards for other threads on this subject and you'll find answers similar to what I already explained. This is one of them:

"I think the other reason for repeats is simply cost. When TCM started it had almost unlimited use of the Turner film library. They had enough films to go a couple of years without a repeat. Once Ted sold out to Time-Warner those films went under the control of Warner Bros. Now, TCM has to lease every film they show. It's not cheap to make a deal for all those Columbia films or the, hopefully upcoming, Paramount/Universal library. Repeats help stretch the budget a little further. To me, a few more repeats seems to be a reasonable way to keep the great films coming. "

*"I have only been watching since last summer and have the 2011 Movie Guide which lists the thousands of titles that you have for sale. Do you not also have these titles in your archives?"* - kuklapolitan

First, Cheers Burr Tillstrom!

Second, the TCM Video catalogue is just that - a catalogue of videos for sale from MoviesUnlimited, a second-hand party which created that book specifically for the TCM viewer/video shopper. It is not a listing of all the films TCM owns or controls or can schedule for showing on the channel in any given month.

The films available for showing on TCM over a period of six months is a MUCH smaller number than what you find in the TCM Video Catalogue.

Kyle In Hollywood

TCM gets the rights to show a movie that maybe hasn't been aired for a number of years. If you happen to miss that one showing, and it isn't aired again, then what? Most TCM "repeats" are shown at different times of the day, ie; the first showing may be at 8pm, next time at 2am, a third showing at 10am. That gives different people the opportunity to see the film when its most convenient for them. It also is safe to assume that it is less expensive to "rent" the movie for 3 or 4 showings over a period of several months then it would be for just 1 showing. Why do some people think TCM is just being cheap, they have a long term budget to operate with, and some of these films have to be rather expensive to get. So they have to be creative to get the most bang for the buck, and I think someone is doing a damn good job at accomplishing that.

> {quote:title=kriegerg69 wrote:}{quote} "I think the other reason for repeats is simply cost. When TCM started it had almost unlimited use of the Turner film library. They had enough films to go a couple of years without a repeat. Once Ted sold out to Time-Warner those films went under the control of Warner Bros. Now, TCM has to lease every film they show.

Very true. Another thing is that more repeats started showing up about the time the economy tanked and TCM's parent company Time-Warner had all it's divisions make major cuts in their operating costs and that included TCM's programming budget. This meant running more cheaper repeats.

Still, since it's more or less general knowledge that cable and satellite companies only pay TCM pennies a month per subscriber and it doesn't have income from commercials (thank goodness), it's amazing what TCM is still able to do.

Archived