Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MGM: Hollywood's Greatest Backlot

It is estimated that one-fifth of all the films shot in America were partially shot somewhere at the MGM studios.

If you don't know about this book, you need to. If you love classic film, you will probably want to read this book. If you love film history, you will want this book on your bookshelf for reference.

Okay, this book is now widely available from book stores and on-line. For a month or two, it was out of print at Amazon and priced that way.

The good news is *that it is back in print* for Amazon and you can own this extraordinary book for $25.

A history of the physical studio, the buildings, the departments and the famed backlots with hundreds of photos, many never before seen. There are maps and detailed history of the various departments that made up the most famous dream factory of the 20th century.

This is not a history of the stars, the films or the front office but a history of the famed physical studio.

If you don't own this book already, you need to check it out now either from your local bookstore or online before the price goes up.

It is must reading for anyone who loves classic films.

Thanks for the tip LZ.

Although I like biographies of the stars, the dynamics of the studio system is far more unusual & engaging. I love books like this.

Too bad there aren't many "local" bookstores left. The enormo-chains carry scant little of interest.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> It is estimated that one-fifth of all the films shot in America were partially shot somewhere at the MGM studios.

>

> If you don't know about this book, you need to. If you love classic film, you will probably want to read this book. If you love film history, you will want this book on your bookshelf for reference.

>...

> A history of the physical studio, the buildings, the departments and the famed backlots with hundreds of photos, many never before seen. There are maps and detailed history of the various departments that made up the most famous dream factory of the 20th century.

>

> This is not a history of the stars, the films or the front office but a history of the famed physical studio.

>

Yeah, but does it include a picture of the studio dump? One of the Jack Mathis Republic Studio books does. When I saw that, I said "Now THAT'S the definitive movie studio book!"

Any book recommendation from you is winner. A couple of years ago I had been asking about Pre-Code films when I was new to TCM and the messageboards. You gave me the name of a book that I absolutely treasure Sins in Soft Focus. I will be sure to get this one. Thanks