Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Groovy Flix week of June 13th!!

TCM Flix to groove to week of June 13th!!!

First, a shout out to tonight's lineup of silent and silent tribute flix!!! Gotta love Harold Lloyd in AN EASTERN WESTERNER (1920), Max Linder in SEVEN YEARS BAD LUCK (1921), and THE MUSIC BOX (1932) with Laurel and Hardy their own bad selves, to name but a few of the gems from tonight's lineup!

The grooves start early with the Stooges in THE THREE STOOGES GO AROUND THE WORLD IN A DAZE (1963)!!! Woohoo! This is followed by the 1929...yep, 1929!, version of THE LAST OF MRS. CHEYNEY with Norma Shearer and Basil Rathbone, who is enjoying a day full of his films!!! THE BISHOP MURDER CASE (1930) with Basil in the Philo Vance role is an incredibly awesome early talkie, don't miss it!!! We'll see Basil again in FEATHER IN HER HAT (1935) a rare flick, as well as 4 of the Sherlock Holmes PD flix, always winners: SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE SECRET WEAPON, THE WOMAN IN GREEN, TERROR BY NIGHT, and DRESSED TO KILL! And another obscure gem with Basil, Bela, and Lon Chaney Jr, in THE BLACK SLEEP (1956)!!

Jean Simmons is rocking the house this month and on Tuesday evening you want to check out ADAM AND EVELYN (1949), with Stewart Granger, and SO LONG AT THE FAIR (1950) with Dirk Bogarde!

Thursdays are Double Feature Drive In and this week we're rocking out with ATTACK OF THE 50 FT WOMAN (1958), VILLAGE OF THE GIANTS (1965), Zsa Zsa Gabor herself in QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE (1958), MARS NEEDS WOMEN (1966), THE CYCLOPS (1957), THE MANSTER (1959), and THE KILLER SHREWS (1959)!!! Crazy B films abound and it's so wild!

Friday morning we are grooving to a B film of a different breed, with THE LAST RIDE (1944)! Check it out! It's the first flick in Eleanor Parker's day long tribute, which includes a remake of OF HUMAN BONDAGE (1946), THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (1955), which rocks with Frankie Sinatra, and LIZZIE (1957)!

Friday night is the place for Audie Murphy fans, with BAD BOY (1949) and THE QUICK GUN (1964) in the lineup!

Saturdays are always grooving these days, this week with ALGIERS (1938) a very cool flick with Charles Boyer and Hedy Lamarr, THE PEOPLE VS. DR. KILDARE (1941) with Lew Ayres and Bonita Granville, the ACE DRUMMOND serial continues, as does Johnny Weissmuller and Brenda Joyce as Jane, this week with TARZAN AND THE HUNTRESS (1947)! And a Bogie gem, TOKYO JOE, an underrated flick IMO, a programmer on some levels, but Bogie raises the bar as usual, and it's a great flick!

If you dig screwball comedies, you are in heaven on Saturday night as we rock and roll with BRINGING UP BABY (1938), TWENTIETH CENTURY (1934) with John Barrymore and Carole Lombard who pitches in again with NOTHING SACRED (1937), followed by MERRILY WE LIVE (1938) and THEODORA GOES WILD (1936), and rounding it out with THE AWFUL TRUTH (1937)!!! What a lineup!

Father's Day (Sunday) grooves with the pre-code THE CHAMP (1931), LIFE BEGINS FOR ANDY HARDY (1941), and LIFE WITH FATHER (1947)!! The Duke is hanging with us on Sunday night, the classic STAGECOACH (1939) and THE WINGS OF EAGLES (1957)! Silent Sunday Night grooves hard with THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE (1920)!!

Thank you TCM for an another awesome week of flix!!

Mark...your openning thread remarks made me smile. I love the rockin' lexicon of yours especially when used to describe the mad week of movies we have in store! Seriously, the dynamic of your rad enthusiasm with the descriptions of classic movies is a treat. I am not making fun....it just brings a smile to my face and reminds me that dammit....classic can be phat!!!! You seem like a truly happy individual....don't let anything or anyone take that away from you!

markbeckuaf - I thank you very much for saying that *The Last Of Mrs Cheyney* starred Basil Rathbone. I had seen it in the schedule and I did not pay any attention to it because I have the Joan Crawford and William Powell version on DVD available and I had watched that recently. I did not know there was an earlier version and I would have missed it if you had not pointed it out.

Your efforts are very much appreciated.

> Did you have a chance to catch the 29 version of THE LAST OF MRS CHEYNEY? And if so, how did you dig it?

It is sad to say I have not seen it. I began to watch it but I fell asleep quite soon.

I do not know when I may watch it. I recorded or had Capuchin record movies I would not be able to see and I must now put them into some order for proper recording onto their own disks. I did some as I could but there are about one hundred and twenty of them still waiting their turn.

I seem to have put much more of my life on hold than I believed I was doing and I seem to have months of things to do now that school is over. I can only hope I have completed all before school begins again.