Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

25 minutes into "Hotel" and nothing has happened yet

The only instance in which watching someone check into a hotel is entertaining is Dustin Hoffman in THE GRADUATE.

No, Touch of Class has an amusing check in scene........

Grand Hotel is a masterpiece of character development and social commentary, i.e. Mr. Industrial Magnet, you do not kill a man over a pockebook, I am my own master, i want to be along, and it is not I Vant - she said it correctly I WANT to be along.....the fact that the baron was really a poor lost soul, the stenographer was forced to do what she did, it is just such a great film i could watch it a thousand times, just those love scenes with Barrymore and Garbo, it is breathtaking!

I don't understand how so many top Hollywood people could work on such a film and have it be so boring about 90% of the way through it, and then at the end, there was still no big drama except for the elevator falling.

Maybe that was a film made with no Studio Head in charge of production. That film needed a Studio Head to say:

*"This stinks! Re-write and re-shoot the first half hour! Put some spice into it, some action, something that will make the audience tell their friends about it! We don't want this film to die the first week in the theaters and then not wind up on TV for 40 years! We eventually learn that someone ran down a kid, so why not start out with flashing headlights on a rain-slick street, screeching brakes, and a woman screaming, the sound of a thud, and a broken up bicycle flying through the air! Then the audience will know they are in for an exciting movie and a big mystery from the very start. Isn't anyone creative around this danged studio anymore?? Has everyone here gone senile on us?"*

LOL. Hotel is the type of film they wouldnt make today. Or if they did it would be totally unrecognizable. Like say an action/thriller. Terrorists. Hostages. Bomb. The film was made back in the quaint 60s before or just as the 60's shake up started in Hollywood. They did try to make it a bit daring with semi-nudity.........

*LOL. Hotel is the type of film they wouldnt make today.*

It used the old "High and the Mighty" technique. It started out slow, different personalities were gradually introduced, during the film we got to know them, and then the crisis came toward the end. But in "Hotel", the progress was just much too slow, and most of the people we met were not interesting.

I like a film introduction like in "Sunset Boulevard". We see a dead guy floating in a swimming pool, shot in the back, and the dead guy is narrating the movie! Wow! So right away I want to see the whole film to see how he got into the swimming pool.

I guess it could be worse. I'm surprised someone hasn't made a movie about people stuck in an airport waiting lounge.

Oh, wait...

I would love to see this old TV movie because of the large famous cast.

Wow - the last time this was on, I watched it so I didn't notice. Now as I'm in another roonm and can only hear it, I must say that it has one of the most redundant music scores that I've heard in any feature film.

i hear Kevin McCarthy as I type this, it must be one of his several scenes where his shirt is open to his waist. If Rod Taylor did that, you wouldn't notice Kevin McCarthy.

Glad you revived this thread, clore. As a relative newbie around here, I hadn't run across it. And, I have to say some of the reponses in it were very amusing.

This one comment in it by member "finance" stuck a chord in me...

"The only instance in which watching someone check into a hotel is entertaining is Dustin Hoffman in THE GRADUATE."

...and so I feel compelled to respond...and my response to finance is in the form of a question:

What, finance?! You've never caught *My Favorite Wife* showing on TCM, my friend?

;)

I concur. Glad you brought the thread back. This film will repeat on TCM in late October.

Late October? Is that much of the schedule available already?

In another thread, someone said it was only available thru the first week in October. But when I just searched HOTEL on the TCM database, it shows that it is scheduled today and again on October 28.

So somewhere the rest of October's schedule must exist...

Given that it's late October, I'd rather see HORROR HOTEL.

It is scheduled for 5 p.m. on the 28th of October, so it is part of TCM's primetime programming that evening, like it is tonight. I don't mind this film, so I can live with it getting occasional screenings.

Ah ha!

Now we've got a real movie showing:

"Union Depot"

That's the way to start a movie, with little clips of different people and different lifestyles, and different personal problems. And plenty of DAMES!

This movie starts out with plenty of action, and there is a lot of "character development" all during the film.

And things actually Happen in this film!

A great 1932 pre-code.

This is a "Grand Hotel" type of film, BUT it was released 8 months before Grand Hotel was released.

Douglas Fairbanks Jr.

Joan Blondell

Guy Kibbee

Alan Hale