Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

20K fathoms and MST3K

Is this where everyone hangs out to talk about the Drive In monsster movies? I'd be grateful for any direction. These boards are daunting! Thx

Edited by: b3rry on Jun 24, 2011 3:26 AM

>That show was for crummy movies. BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS is an outstanding film for its genre. As was THIS ISLAND EARTH, which MST3K DID pillory in its theatrical feature. Feh.

It may have been outstanding for its genre, but I would have had no trouble keeping up a constant patter of comments on the film á la MST3K while it was running. In fact, I did.

Edited by: slaytonf on Jun 24, 2011 9:53 PM

Edited by: slaytonf on Jun 24, 2011 9:55 PM

<{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}Your best bet is to do a search all forums for the particular subject (movie title, actor, etc). There is not much discipline on these boards, many posters only use the top main message boards.

It may have been outstanding for its genre, but I could have easily kept up a constant patter of comments á la MST3K while it was showing. In fact, I did. {font}

Re: RayFaiola

That show was for crummy movies. BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS is an outstanding film for its genre. As was THIS ISLAND EARTH, which MST3K DID pillory in its theatrical feature. Feh.

{font:Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif} It may have been outstanding for its genre, but I would have had no trouble keeping up a constant patter of comments on the film á la MST3K while it was running. In fact, I did. {font}

1 fathom = 6 feet, so 20,000 fathoms = 120,000 feet

Now 1 mile = 5,280 feet, so 120,000 feet is about 22.73 miles.

Thus, the beast came from 22.73 miles deep.

The deepest part of the ocean is the Mariana Trench, which is not quite 7 miles deep.

I rest my case.

I am done trying to insert quotes into my replies. If someone can't figure out what I am referring to, I'll have to live with that.

As for the 20K beast, I would have had no trouble keeping up a constant patter of comments á la MST3K while the film was playing. In fact, I did.

scsu1975 - In the modern world fathom means the measure of outstetched arms which is six feet.

One hundred million years ago when the dinosaur lived it meant the length of a leaf of a particular fern -a hom- which is swollen by dew -hence a fat hom- which is seven and a half inches.

I am sure that if you do the calculation with that value it will make sense to you.

>One hundred million years ago when the dinosaur lived it meant the length of a leaf of a particular fern -a hom- which is swollen by dew -hence a fat hom- which is seven and a half inches.

That's one of the most hilarious statements I've read on these boards! :)

Ray wrote:

>That show was for crummy movies. BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS is an outstanding film for its genre. As was THIS ISLAND EARTH, which MST3K DID pillory in its theatrical feature. Feh.

I agree completely. I was **** when they made their theatrical debut by dissing *TIE*. But, in retrospect, they probably felt they had to use a decent film, to put it in theaters. But, IMO, *TIE* is one of the best Sci Fi films of the 50s.

slaytonf wrote:

>I am done trying to insert quotes into my replies. If someone can't figure out what I am referring to, I'll have to live with that.

Use "Plain Text," instead of "Rich Text." Just click the "Plain Text" tab at the top, before you copy and paste, and then put a > in front of the quoted text.