Mabel Albertson

annelovestcm

If Star Trek was on as regularly as Andy, I wouldn't have to rely

on my faulty memory, but since it isn't, I really have to go way

way back and hope I've got it right.

Didn't the TV repair shop have a little Color TV sign in the corner,

something that was probably common back in the 1960s, when

color was more of a big deal. It seems like it would have been

logical for Emmett to have moved from that shop. Oh well.

Yes, Barney was a master tightwad. I think his favorite date was

going over to Thelma Lou's and watching TV and getting some free

fudge. Yep, go home, take a nap, go over to Thelma Lou's and

watch a little TV. Hey big spender. Put Barney, Howard, and Floyd

together and you've got a real battle of the titans. Who could squeeze

that penny until Lincoln cried?

It seems I've seen the episode where Ernest tries to get into the Army

fewer times than many of the other ones, so I don't remember it that

well, but it sure sounds like something Barney would do. The other one

where Barney promises to actually pry open his wallet sounds somewhat

familiar, but I don't remember the details.

I remember the one where Thelma Lou was getting back at Barney

by pretending to be dating Gomer, where he mentions he's missing going

over to Thelma Lou's every week to watch the doctor show and eat

fudge, but now he's buying fudge because he's so used to eating it

every week. Hard to blame a guy for liking fudge.

I hope they get back to Beaver and Andy this Sunday. After football

starts it won't be so bad.

>C. Bogle wrote:

>Didn't the TV repair shop have a little Color TV sign in the corner, something that was probably common back in the 1960s, when color was more of a big deal. It seems like it would have been logical for Emmett to have moved from that shop. Oh well.

Yeah, I thought that would have been a nice touch.

>Yes, Barney was a master tightwad. I think his favorite date was

>going over to Thelma Lou's and watching TV and getting some free

>fudge. Yep, go home, take a nap, go over to Thelma Lou's and

>watch a little TV. Hey big spender. Put Barney, Howard, and Floyd

>together and you've got a real battle of the titans. Who could squeeze

>that penny until Lincoln cried?

Yep, a pan of cashew fudge between Barney and Thelma Lou. Three world-class tightwads!

>I remember the one where Thelma Lou was getting back at Barney by >pretending to be dating Gomer, where he mentions he's missing >going over to Thelma Lou's every week to watch the doctor show >and eat fudge, but now he's buying fudge because he's so used to >eating it every week. Hard to blame a guy for liking fudge.

Yeah, I thought at first that might be the one in which Barney promises to start paying for a better grade of food when they went out to eat, but when I checked the episode on DVD, the last interaction Barney has with Thelma Lou is when he's trying to get Gomer to leave so he can kiss her. Andy and Gomer leave and Gomer is watching them kiss through the window. There is a tag with Barney and Andy drinking coffee in the office but Thelma Lou is not there.

Then I thought maybe it was the episode where Barney is tricked into proposing to Jackie Coogan's daughter, but I checked that episode on DVD and I couldn't find Barney promising "upgraded meals" to Thelma Lou anywhere in that ending either. It was the same with the episodes with the Fun Girls.

I wish I could remember which episode it was! I just remember Thelma Lou complaining at the beginning of the episode that they never did anything fun, and at the end Barney promised "no more , from now on it's all the way." This is really bugging me!

>I hope they get back to Beaver and Andy this Sunday. After football starts it won't be so bad.

Too bad it was Three's Company all weekend. I wonder if TV Land is giving up on Beaver and Andy?

Sorry it took me so long to reply--I have been through another low-energy period.

Robbie

I do seem to remember that Thelma Lou wanted to go out more

often, but I can't remember the specific episode. I almost hate to

think what an upgrade would have meant to a penny pincher like

old Barn. Buying two extra mints at the cashier's station? He did

like that fudge while watching the doctor show with Thelma Lou.

I can't remember if cable stations like TV Land also have new schedules

in the Fall like the networks do. It has been a while since they've shown

Beaver and Andy on a Sunday afternoon, and just when I was getting

used to it.

Well Andy's been on for fifty years, so a day or two won't matter too much.

If things don't change on TV Land, I guess I'll have to be content with the

local station that shows them for an hour on Saturday. Trouble is they only

show the b & w episodes. As soon as they run the one with Jerry Van Dyke

they go right back to the beginning. Hope you're feeling better.

>C. Bogle wrote:

>I do seem to remember that Thelma Lou wanted to go out more often, but I can't remember the specific episode. I almost hate to think what an upgrade would have meant to a penny pincher like old Barn. Buying two extra mints at the cashier's station? He did like that fudge while watching the doctor show with Thelma Lou.

Yeah, I wish I could remember which "break-up" episode it was. There was one in which Barney misinterpreted Andy's attempts to get Thelma Lou more involved with Barney as an attempt by Andy to make a play for Thelma Lou, causing Barney to make a play for Ellie. There was the one in which Thelma Lou got mad when Gomer told her Barney said he had her in his hip pocket. There was the one in which Thelma Lou got mad because Barney was acting all google-eyed over Jackie Coogan's daughter. The first Fun Girls episode was really about a spat between Andy and Peggy, and in the remaining two episodes with the Fun Girls, Thelma Lou got mad because of the Fun Girls. I can't seem to remember or find the episode which started out with Thelma Lou being dissatisfied because Barney never took her any place.

>I can't remember if cable stations like TV Land also have new schedules in the Fall like the networks do. It has been a while since they've shown Beaver and Andy on a Sunday afternoon, and just when I was getting used to it.

Most cable stations do make lineup changes in the fall; Nick at Nite just added Friends, and TBS is getting ready to add The Big Bang Theory. Maybe TV Land has lost the contracts for Andy and Beaver, although usually they stop airing a show and then bring it back a year or so later, so usually it's not a case of them losing the contract. An exception in recent years in which they did lose the contract was I Love Lucy, to the Hallmark Channel, although that happened at the end of a year. All I know is TV Land already runs plenty of Three's Company late at night every night of the week, so why do they need to preempt Andy and Beaver with even more of it on weekend afternoons? Unless they really have lost the contracts to Andy and Beaver.

>Well Andy's been on for fifty years, so a day or two won't matter too much. If things don't change on TV Land, I guess I'll have to be content with the local station that shows them for an hour on Saturday. Trouble is they only show the b & w episodes. As soon as they run the one with Jerry Van Dyke they go right back to the beginning. Hope you're feeling better.

Our local station shows both B&W and color Andy, but they only show one episode a week, although sometimes they will show an extra episode if they need to pad time before or after a game.

It's interesting how many shows Jerry Van Dyke ended up being a banjo player on--an episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show, an episode of The Andy Griffith Show, and an episode of Gomer Pyle, USMC.

Also, in addition to being the leader of a crime gang in an episode of The Andy Griffith Show as well as in an episode of Gomer Pyle, USMC, I believe I saw Ellen Corby in a similar role in yet another show or movie on TV recently. I can't remember what it is at the moment, but hopefully it will come to me. It's amazing how similar the characters are that some of these actors play in guest roles on TV shows.

My energy is a little better right now, thanks. It waxes and wanes, so it's hard for me to keep up with everything. Sometimes I can't even watch TCM, much less keep up with the forums.

Robbie

*"Also, I think Doris Packer played Mrs. Osborn, mother to Chatsworth-aka Warren Beatty-on Dobie Gillis."*

Just a small correction: while I think you're correct that Doris Packer played Warren Beatty's mother on *The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis*, Warren didn't play Chatsworth Osborne -- instead, he played Milton Armitage, another rich boy who was Chatsworth's cousin. Chatsworth Osborne was played by Steven Franken, who I believe was also in some episodes of *Bewitched* playing various characters. When Warren Beatty left *Dobie*, they replaced his character with Chatsworth.

Oddly, on *Dobie Gillis* Doris Packer played the mother of both Milton and Chatsworth, if I remember correctly. It's been a long time since I last saw the show, and I don't remember if they ever explained her changing characters -- maybe the two mothers of the cousins were twin sisters. (Or maybe the producers just weren't too concerned about how many times they used supporting actors in varying roles -- I've noticed that on other great shows, like *The Dick Van Dyke Show* where, for example, even a major contributor like creator/writer/producer Carl Reiner played at least a couple of other roles in addition to his recurring role as Alan Brady.)

By the way, WHEN is *Dobie Gillis* going to be released on DVD??? It's almost the only one of my favorite TV classics that I haven't been able to find on DVD.

This is a great thread -- I love most of the shows mentioned. It's really too bad that TV Land hasn't been much more faithful to its original mission of showing only the truly classic TV shows. They still have some, but fill up much of their schedule with original junk (*Hot In Cleveland*??? No thank you) or shows that are too recent to be considered classics yet.

Just found this thread, and am not a huge fan of TAGS, but want to interject a couple of comments:

1. Someone mentioned the commercials on the DVD set. I can guarantee you that they are almost all for Post cereals and Maxwell House. The food conglomerate, General Foods, was a BIG sponsor of all of the Danny Thomas Productions shows. Most commericla compilations you see on DVD contain the commercials that the various casts did for GF products : Post cereals....Jello.....Maxwell House coffee..Sanka....Birdseye. NObody could sell food like Andy Griffith - take a spoonful of some Post Toasties, and go mmmmmmmmmMMMMMMM, like only he can!

2. As far as Star Trek is concerned, Elinor Donahue was in one, playing a dying ambassador who gets 'taken over' by an alien life form. Plus Trek sometimes used the Desilu Forty Acres lot, so it would lead to such an incongruity as in "The City on the Edge of Forever", with Kirk and Spock in 1930's NYC, where Captain Kirk and Edith Keeler, played by Joan Collins, walking past Floyd's Barber Shop! You COULD say that perhaps Floyd first had a shop on the Lower East Side of Manhattan in the 30's, then moved to Mayberry!

3. Jack Dodson also had an occasional featured part on Happy Days, as Ralph Malph's dentist father.....Mickey - yes, Mickey Malph ;) Plus on Barney Miller, in a two parter where the squad became a 'homicide only' squad, playing a psychopathic killer who killed people who had - bad haircuts - apparently his standards after having Floyd as a barber were VERY high! ]:)

>exapno wrote:

>Just found this thread, and am not a huge fan of TAGS, but want to interject a couple of comments:

>1. Someone mentioned the commercials on the DVD set. I can guarantee you that they are almost all for Post cereals and Maxwell House. The food conglomerate, General Foods, was a BIG sponsor of all of the Danny Thomas Productions shows. Most commericla compilations you see on DVD contain the commercials that the various casts did for GF products : Post cereals....Jello.....Maxwell House coffee..Sanka....Birdseye. NObody could sell food like Andy Griffith - take a spoonful of some Post Toasties, and go mmmmmmmmmMMMMMMM, like only he can!

Most of the commercials I have seen on the DVDs have been for cereal and Sanka. He really does a good "mmmmmmmmmMMMMMMM," as you say! His folksy charm seems to make his favoring the product seem more "authentic," even though, who knows, he may have hated Sanka. And he always ends the commercial with, "I thank you, and good night," which is so polite it also seems to help sell the product. But I also enjoy seeing the other cast members, including sometimes guest stars from the specific episode the commercial was being done for (like the four prisoners from "Aunt Bee, the Warden") helping to promote the product. On the TAGS DVDs, the specific sponsor shot for that particular episode is shown with that particular episode, and it usually includes something in the commercial that is specific to the episode, which is how I can tell it's the commercial that was originally shown with that episode, so at least on the TAGS DVDs it's not just a compilation.

>2. As far as Star Trek is concerned, Elinor Donahue was in one, playing a dying ambassador who gets 'taken over' by an alien life form.

She played Commissioner Hedford and the episode was "Metamorphosis," which also featured Glenn Corbett as Zephram Cochrane (who looked a lot different when James Cromwell (who I first knew as Stretch Cunningham from All in the Family) played him in one of the Star Trek movies). Actually, the disease would not have been fatal if they had not gotten trapped on the planet, as she would have received treatment for it. I guess McCoy's hypospray and medkit can't fix everything. :-)

>Plus Trek sometimes used the Desilu Forty Acres lot, so it would lead to such an incongruity as in "The City on the Edge of Forever", with Kirk and Spock in 1930's NYC, where Captain Kirk and Edith Keeler, played by Joan Collins, walking past Floyd's Barber Shop! You COULD say that perhaps Floyd first had a shop on the Lower East Side of Manhattan in the 30's, then moved to Mayberry!

I have seen Kirk and Edith Keeler walk by Floyd's Barbershop many times. Someone posted a link to the pictures in one of the threads in these forums. I can't remember which link they posted, but here's a link to a site with pictures of the various TAGS locations in the RKO/Desilu backlot, including a picture of Kirk and Keeler walking by the barbershop:

http://www.retroweb.com/40acres_tour_pt2.html

It's the last picture in the section titled "Midwestern town area - north-side storefronts."

>3. Jack Dodson also had an occasional featured part on Happy Days, as Ralph Malph's dentist father.....Mickey - yes, Mickey Malph Plus on Barney Miller, in a two parter where the squad became a 'homicide only' squad, playing a psychopathic killer who killed people who had - bad haircuts - apparently his standards after having Floyd as a barber were VERY high!

Ralph's father seemed to spend more time joking than treating his patients. I remember the bit with the fake eyes with the springs. A nice bit of continuity, showing where Ralph got his propensity for comedy. Dr. Malph must have gotten his start telling those jokes at the lodge in Mayberry, and then again on Colonel Tim's Amateur Hour that so angered Clara, Bee, Floyd, and Goober. I know C.Bogle really got a kick out of those jokes, and I did too.

An episode of Happy Days with Dr. Malph, "Ralph's Family Problem," recently aired on the Hub Channel. In fact, I saw it twice--once late at night on Saturday, September 10, and again on Thursday, September 15. Of course, Ron Howard also worked on TAGS with Dodson, so there's that additional connection between the shows as well.

I have a vague memory of Dodson from that episode of Barney Miller, but it's been a loooooong time since I've seen it. Not only did Dodson have Floyd as a barber, he had Floyd as a tenant. Maybe all the sparring with Floyd caused him to have a problem with bad haircuts!

Robbie

I don't want to prejudge, but something tells me Daphne is not the

cashew fudge sort. More like a shot and a beer, and Barney never

was one to hold his liquor very well.

Thelma Lou did have a nice cozy house. Maybe it was left to her.

It certainly beat Barney's little back room at the courthouse or

Mrs. Mendelbright's small room. That brings up a question. Did

Barney live for a time in the back room in the court house? In certain

episodes it seemed like he did, before we learned he had a room at

Mrs. M's. I can't remember there being any explanation of exactly

when he made the switch.

There was the one episode, maybe the one where Barney brags

about having Thelma Lou in his hip pocket, which opens with her

and Barney walking down main street at night (maybe he actually

pried open his wallet for a night at the picture show) and they stop

in front of a store and look at the furniture display and start talking

about how they'd like to have their future home laid out. If she didn't

already have one, I'll bet she would have had to make most of the

down payment and monthly mortgage. Maybe Barn could handle the

electric and phone bills, but I wouldn't count on it.

Frank Cady did look older than Eddie Albert. The bald head and the

somewhat hound dog expression didn't help, whereas Eddie had a

full head of hair (I think it was his own, but who knows?).

Howard was the last of the line. He did have a disadvantage the

others didn't, Ma Sprague's omnipresence. That couldn't have been

good for dating. Miss Fairchild was very pretty, but she disappeared

after that one episode. Maybe it was that dirty tee shirt. Howie did

come closer than the other bachelors to tying the knot, but we all

know how that ended.

>C.Bogle wrote:

>I don't want to prejudge, but something tells me Daphne is not the cashew fudge sort. More like a shot and a beer, and Barney never was one to hold his liquor very well.

I guess I wasn't clear. What I meant was, Barney could've gone over to Daphne's to watch the George Raft picture, then he could have left her house and gone over to Thelma Lou's (by himself) for some cashew fudge. Might as well get as much mooching out of every night as he can. You're right, Daphne doesn't seem the cashew fudge sort. :-)

>Thelma Lou did have a nice cozy house. Maybe it was left to her. It certainly beat Barney's little back room at the courthouse or Mrs. Mendelbright's small room. That brings up a question. Did Barney live for a time in the back room in the court house? In certain episodes it seemed like he did, before we learned he had a room at Mrs. M's. I can't remember there being any explanation of exactly when he made the switch.

You bring up a good point, in that Thelma Lou could have inherited the house. Her having a nice house doesn't necessarily mean she has a really well-paying job. Also, she could have been renting, although she would have to earn more than Barney to do even that.

There was an episode in which Barney was sleeping in the back room at the courthouse after having the spat with Mrs. Mendelbright. Andy and Opie catch Barney and Thelma Lou having a little too much fun there one night, with Barney's face covered in her lipstick (Opie: "Pa, Barney's face is bleeding!"). After that, Andy told Barney he'd better find somewhere else to sleep at night. It's strange they didn't invite Barney to stay temporarily at the Taylor's--it's not like he would have been carrying on with Thelma Lou at their house. Gomer stayed there once after he was fired by Wally, and Aunt Bee invited Goober to stay when Goober imagined he had he been injured when a car struck Andy's car from behind while Goober was in the driver's seat. When Barney came from Raleigh to visit, he stayed at the Taylor's house.

However, I seem to remember that he slept in the back room of the courthouse in other episodes. When I watched this series as a child, I did have the impression from some of these episodes that there were times when he did live at the courthouse. (On Gunsmoke Matt Dillon slept in the jail house, but I think there was only one cot in the part of the jail where the back door was--where did Chester and/or Festus sleep?) But it may have been those were only episodes where there were prisoners (like Otis, or Susan Oliver ;-) ) that required someone to be at the courthouse overnight. Most of the episodes in which I see Barney sleeping in the courthouse seem to be ones in which they have prisoners, or else it's just Barney having a nap in the afternoon. Nice work, if you can get it... :-)

>There was the one episode, maybe the one where Barney brags about having Thelma Lou in his hip pocket, which opens with her and Barney walking down main street at night (maybe he actually pried open his wallet for a night at the picture show) and they stop in front of a store and look at the furniture display and start talking about how they'd like to have their future home laid out. If she didn't already have one, I'll bet she would have had to make most of the down payment and monthly mortgage. Maybe Barn could handle the electric and phone bills, but I wouldn't count on it.

I remember Barney talked about wanting a den where he could smoke a pipe--no women allowed! It did seem like Thelma Lou would have to do most of the heavy lifting, financially and probably work-wise as well, in that relationship.

>Frank Cady did look older than Eddie Albert. The bald head and the somewhat hound dog expression didn't help, whereas Eddie had a full head of hair (I think it was his own, but who knows?).

Yeah, Albert's hair was so full you have to wonder if it was a toupee or if he was just genetically blessed. It's true that in general baldness does tend to make men look older. I like your characterization of Cady's "hound dog expression." Sam Drucker, you ain't nothing but a hound dog! :-)

>Howard was the last of the line. He did have a disadvantage the others didn't, Ma Sprague's omnipresence. That couldn't have been good for dating. Miss Fairchild was very pretty, but she disappeared after that one episode. Maybe it was that dirty tee shirt. Howie did come closer than the other bachelors to tying the knot, but we all know how that ended.

Yeah, Mrs. Sprague keeping Howard on a tight leash with "very little slack" couldn't have been good for his love life. Maybe that's why he rushed to turn the house into a bachelor pad when she remarried and moved to Raleigh. Goober seemed like he might have been under a tight leash too--I remember Gomer saying Goober couldn't participate in the attempt to rebuild the bandstand in "The Sermon for Today" because he had to wash his mother's car on Sunday--he wouldn't let his mother go anywhere in a dirty car.

Robbie

>markbeckuaf wrote:

>Wow, you guys really know your Andy Griffith Show! Great stuff, enjoying the dialogue!

Wow, Mark, I can't believe you are reading this thread with all the other writing you do in the forums! I haven't been able to respond to your great "Grooves for the week" threads as often as I'd like because this thread is about all I can handle, unless I give up more of actually watching TCM and the TV shows. Of course, I have chronic fatigue so I can't handle as much as the average person anyway.

But you are such a prolific writer in the forums, I don't know how you keep up with it all! BTW, have you been enjoying Perry Mason, Gunsmoke, and Marshal Dillon on MeTV? MeTV changes their lineup next week--I think we are losing Marshal Dillon (the 1/2 hour B&W eps) but keeping Gunsmoke (the 1-hour color eps). But we are gaining some new shows I like, such as Daniel Boone and the original Star Trek. Plus I am looking forward to seeing Love, American Style which had the episode that was the original pilot (or premise) for Happy Days. I have never seen that series before, except for the Happy Days episode, so I am looking forward to seeing what that series is all about.

Keep up the great "groove" threads! I still read them when I can, I just can't respond to them much--and even if I had the time, I haven't built up enough knowledge about the pre-codes and other early films to be able to contribute much to the discussion. But I'm learning more about classic film all the time through TCM and these forums, including your groove threads!

Robbie

Robbie, I always enjoy reading your posts and threads! You are very, very knowledgeable, I have found! Thank you for reading my weekly grooves!

I'm totally grooving to Me-TV, actually! Thank goodness for DVR's, so I can catch programs from there along with films from TCM, but I wish work wouldn't get in the way of my viewing habits!! :) I am grooving to the new changes on Me-TV (the only bummer is that they are taking off The Honeymooners, hopefully they'll return again soon). But they are introducing tons of new shows! The 1/2 Gunsmoke's (Marshal Dillon) are still on, but just in different time slots. They moved a few other shows around too, but really only dropped The Honeymooners (bummer) and The Streets of San Francisco (not really a fan of). They are adding: The Rifleman, Lost in Space, Star Trek (original!), Peter Gunn (great, because I missed that when RTV was switched here to Me-TV), Route 66 (haven't seen that in ages!!), Boris Karloff's Thriller (that also!), The Fugitive (that also!!!), Batman, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, a block of Laurel and Hardy shorts!, Columbo, and Naked City! They did all of that, and more--some shows I don't care about like Kojak and Rockford Files---and only knocked two shows from their lineup! That's great!

And I'm glad they kept the weeknight block intact of Twilight Zone, Perry Mason and The Untouchables! I've really grooved hardest to Perry Mason and Marshal Dillon, but I am liking all the shows that I have time to catch!

Hope things are well for you! Take care!

There were the usual sleepovers when there was a prisoner, but if I

remember rightly, in some scenes it seemed it was decorated a bit

too nicely for just that purpose. It also seems that poor Warren might

have had a room back there. I do remember the scene where Opie

thought Barney was bleeding. Whenever he was caught with Thelma

Lou, he usually had lots of lipstick on his face and his hair looked like he

had put his finger in an electrical socket. Maybe Thelma Lou was really

more fun than the Mt. Pilot fun girls.

Yes, I think he said that Thelma Lou could have the girls over, but the den

would be his territory, no women allowed, not even Thelma Lou. Did he also

think about having a dog too? Sounds like a moocher's paradise. Maybe

Barney's nickname should have been Dutch as in Dutch treat.

Maybe eating all those nuts and berries is good for the scalp. Frank Cady/

Mr. Drucker, you ain't never sold a rabbit.

Unless it's on in the mornings, it looks like Andy has been totally wiped from

the TV Land schedule. The local station also preempted it on Saturday. Not

a good week, Mayberry wise.

>markbeckuaf wrote:

>I'm totally grooving to Me-TV, actually! Thank goodness for DVR's, so I can catch programs from there along with films from TCM, but I wish work wouldn't get in the way of my viewing habits!! I am grooving to the new changes on Me-TV (the only bummer is that they are taking off The Honeymooners, hopefully they'll return again soon). But they are introducing tons of new shows! The 1/2 Gunsmoke's (Marshal Dillon) are still on, but just in different time slots. They moved a few other shows around too, but really only dropped The Honeymooners (bummer) and The Streets of San Francisco (not really a fan of). They are adding: The Rifleman, Lost in Space, Star Trek (original!), Peter Gunn (great, because I missed that when RTV was switched here to Me-TV), Route 66 (haven't seen that in ages!!), Boris Karloff's Thriller (that also!), The Fugitive (that also!!!), Batman, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, a block of Laurel and Hardy shorts!, Columbo, and Naked City! They did all of that, and more--some shows I don't care about like Kojak and Rockford Files---and only knocked two shows from their lineup! That's great!

Mark,

I just saw the commercial yesterday for MeTV's Sunday nights which will now be known as Noir Night. I didn't know about this lineup until yesterday. What a great lineup! Columbo, Thriller, The Twilight Zone, The Fugitive, Naked City, Peter Gunn, and Route 66. I am especially looking forward to Peter Gunn since I too missed that when we lost RTV for MeTV. In fact, MeTV seems to have added several shows that were on RTV, including Kojak, Daniel Boone, and The Rockford Files. I am also looking forward to Thriller and Naked City, and seeing a pre- Adam-12 Martin Milner in Route 66 (I have the first season on DVD which I bought cheap at a sale). I think The Untouchables should also be part of Noir Night!

I had just gotten into The Streets of San Francisco, so I will miss that. And I was just getting into Kojak when we lost RTV (had never watched it before until RTV), so I am glad it's on MeTV now.

Saturday night is billed as "The Fantasy Frontier" night, which I had known about for a month or so. Again, what a lineup! Batman, Lost in Space (which according to Pioneers of Television became campier to try to compete with Batman which appeared opposite it in their original run on TV), Star Trek, Svengoolie, and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea ! I really love the commercial they did for that night.

I will really be grooving on Saturday and Sunday nights!

Actually Marshall Dillon is retaining its 1:30 a.m. time slot; it just won't be shown at 5 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. weekdays anymore, which, unfortunately, is the time when I preferred to watch it. But at least it's still on! With Rockford moving in at 5 p.m., I was worried we would lose Hawaii Five-O, but fortunately they just moved it to noon. The original H5O is still the best!

I wish we still had RTV, in addition to what we already have: MeTV, THIS, and Antenna TV. Some areas have all four. But taken altogether I think the swap of RTV for MeTV was a net gain for us.

I'm amazed how MeTV has been able to "re-energize" (to use a Star Trek term) its lineup with an infusion of new shows, without losing hardly any shows it is currently airing. They did this by reducing the extra airings of some shows. This is what I have always liked about MeTV--show many different shows once or twice a day. TV Land has opted to show a smaller number of shows many times a day--for example, 2-3 hours of Bonanza, 2-3 hours of Everybody Loves Raymond, 2-3 hours of Roseannse, and now, 2-3 hours of Three's Company practically every day. I guess it's cheaper for TV Land to pay for fewer shows and run them over and over. But TV wouldn't have had to take such cost-saving measures if it hadn't abandoned the format that made it successful in the first place.

Have you been able to watch The Untouchables at all? I was wondering what you, as a fan of noir, would think of it. It's hard for me to get behind the premise of enforcing prohibition, which is a big theme of the show, but I do like its noir-ish characteristics.

Robbie

>C.Bogle wrote:

>There were the usual sleepovers when there was a prisoner, but if I remember rightly, in some scenes it seemed it was decorated a bit too nicely for just that purpose. It also seems that poor Warren might have had a room back there. I do remember the scene where Opie thought Barney was bleeding. Whenever he was caught with Thelma Lou, he usually had lots of lipstick on his face and his hair looked like he had put his finger in an electrical socket. Maybe Thelma Lou was really more fun than the Mt. Pilot fun girls.

Warren did sleep in the back room sometimes, as in the episode where he was sleepwalking and went after Helen. Yet he had a room somewhere else too, because at the end of that episode, Andy and Helen come to his room to say they understand, and after they leave, Warren handcuffs himself to the bed, and it's clearly a complete room not in the courthouse. Maybe it's Barney's old room with Mrs. Mendelbright!

Barney's hair standing up could be rip-roaring hilarious all by itself. What a comedian the guy was--even his hair was funny. :-)

>Unless it's on in the mornings, it looks like Andy has been totally wiped from the TV Land schedule. The local station also preempted it on Saturday. Not a good week, Mayberry wise.

Maybe a station that really cares about classic TV will pick it up. We get MeTV, THIS, and Antenna TV. Maybe one of those will pick up Andy and Beaver. We used to get RTV which aired Beaver, but I don't know if it still does since we lost that channel for MeTV.

Robbie

Robbie,

Thanks for your response!!

Yes, I totally groove to The Untouchables! It also features a lot of actors and character actors from the silver screen! I saw one recently that featured Joan Blondell, for example! Lots of familiar faces in nearly every episode! I love it, yes! I love the weekly crime block, they have nice promos, that remind me a little bit of the old Nick at Nite and TV Land promos, back when they were good and showed more classic programs. Perry Mason and The Untouchables! And Twilight Zone too. The only program I really miss is The Honeymooners. Hopefully that will be back.

I think Marshal Dillon might also be on Saturday mornings? I thought I saw it there.

I totally love the promos and blocks of shows on Sat and Sun nights, wow! I also love the late night on Saturdays (even as it is now)--with Get Smart, Honey West and Car 54 Where Are You?! Those are all staying intact, I believe.

I agree, Me-TV is fitting as many programs in as possible, which is great!

I am happy with the switch, as Me-TV is picking up a lot of the shows I missed from Retro-TV, such as The Rifleman and Peter Gunn!

Maybe they'll add Leave It To Beaver soon as well?

I wish we had all 4 as well, but we only get This-TV and Me-TV. You know, with TCM, I wouldn't have room on my DVR, with all the great movies here on TCM and then the great programs (and occasional movies on THIS-TV), I'd never have time to watch everything! I barely do as it is!

Take care!

Maybe Warren moved in right after Barney left for Raleigh, and

was lucky that Barn had already helped remove Mrs. Mendelbright's

hot plate and light bulb restrictions (there might be another contender for

Barney and Floyd in the penny pinching competition). Yep, burning those

40 watt or over bulbs can be real budget busters.

I have DirecTV and as far as I know I don't get any of those channels

showing the old TV shows. A number of years ago TBS showed Perry

Mason and I saw quite a few episodes then. You really needed a score

card to keep all the relatives, friends, etc. straight in most episodes.

Four or five years back Chiller showed Alfred Hitchcock Presents, but

they only showed the first three or four seasons and then would start

over again. It was probably some kind of contract thing. But I've seen

most of them and The Alfred Hitchcock Hour over the years. It's about

the same with The Twilight Zone and The Honeymooners. Though it's nice

to catch up with them from time to time, I've seen them so often, it's

not a big deal. There is also the fact that I don't have a lot of extra time,

so I probably wouldn't watch a lot of them anyway, but it's always good

to know they're available.

>markbeckuaf wrote:

>Robbie,

>Thanks for your response!!

>Yes, I totally groove to The Untouchables! It also features a lot of actors and character actors from the silver screen! I saw one recently that featured Joan Blondell, for example! Lots of familiar faces in nearly every episode! I love it, yes! I love the weekly crime block, they have nice promos, that remind me a little bit of the old Nick at Nite and TV Land promos, back when they were good and showed more classic programs. Perry Mason and The Untouchables! And Twilight Zone too. The only program I really miss is The Honeymooners. Hopefully that will be back.

Mark,

The Honeymooners got sent to the moon, Alice! Maybe the Enterprise on Star Trek will bring transport it back to Earth. I've seen The Honeymooners so much that I wasn't watching it anyway.

One thing about them showing the "original" Star Trek. They are showing the remastered version that has a lot of the special effects redone using new digital technology. I guess I am a purist when it comes to this (as with TCM--I don't want to see colorized movies, or movies not shown in the correct aspect ratio). I don't like the digitized effects; I find them distracting. Every time I see one of those effects, I stop and think, "this is not part of the original version."

A friend of mine who is not a big fan of the original Star Trek couldn't understand my problem with this. I asked him how would he like it if they redid the Rankin Bass Christmas specials ( Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town, The Year Without a Santa Claus, etc. ), which he and I both love, and replaced the stop-motion with new, smooth, more "realistic," digitized graphics. He had to admit he wouldn't like it, and after that he seemed to understand better why I don't like the tinkering Michael Okuda (or whoever at Paramount) has done with the original Star Trek. Of course MeTV is not the first to show this version; I just wish they had shown the unaltered original. TV Land was still showing the original when some local stations started showing the remastered version, so surely the original version is still available as a syndication package.

>I think Marshal Dillon might also be on Saturday mornings? I thought I saw it there.

Could be. It has been running on Saturday and Sunday mornings in the past. At least it's still on!

>I totally love the promos and blocks of shows on Sat and Sun nights, wow! I also love the late night on Saturdays (even as it is now)--with Get Smart, Honey West and Car 54 Where Are You?! Those are all staying intact, I believe.

I love the promos MeTV does too! I love the "Final Fantasy Frontier" and "Noir Night" sequences. I love their other sequences, like "Watch Me on MeTV," "Thanks for the Memories," etc. TV Land used to do stuff like this...back when TV Land was actually good. The only one I don't like is the clown sequence which I find disturbing. Dick Van Dyke looks really disturbing as that clown. Even hearing Ted Knight say "The circus is in town" sets my teeth on edge a bit.

One of my friends used to talk about the "cynical clown" they used to have on the NBC David Letterman show. He and I both think clowns are scarier today for many people than they are amusing--possibly because clowns have been used in too many horror stories and movies. I mean, if the doorbell rang and a young child answered the door (which they shouldn't be doing, of course), and Ronald McDonald was standing there, I believe there's a good chance the child would run screaming to their parents.

>I agree, Me-TV is fitting as many programs in as possible, which is great!

I wish they had dropped Cannon, which I don't care for, and had kept The Streets of San Francisco, which I was just getting into. I don't like many '70s cop shows but I had just gotten sucked into Kojak when we lost RTV (and now have the show back again on MeTV, thankfully for me) and The Streets of San Francisco which MeTV just dropped.

>I am happy with the switch, as Me-TV is picking up a lot of the shows I missed from Retro-TV, such as The Rifleman and Peter Gunn!

Peter Gunn really rocks! I am glad to be able to get it again. I love The Rifleman too, although I saw it a lot when it was on the Encore Westerns Channel.

>Maybe they'll add Leave It To Beaver soon as well?

We get Antenna TV here, and they just added a bunch of new shows this weekend, many of which I believe were airing on RTV. On Saturday night they seem to have a crime/suspense night--so I could watch that on Saturday nights and then the one on MeTV on Sunday nights, if I had the time. The lineup on Saturday nights is: S.W.A.T., Adam-12, Dragnet, It Takes a Thief, Alfred Hitchchock Presents (three hours of Hitch, from midnight to 3 a.m. E.D.T.), and finally, two hours of Kraft Suspense Theatre. I was really into Kraft Suspense Theatre when when lost RTV, so I'm glad to get it back again! Adam-12, Dragnet, and It Takes a Thief were all on RTV, and I believe Alfred Hitchchock Presents was as well.

Also, Antenna TV has added Leave It To Beaver to their weekday lineup: two episodes from 6 to 7 p.m. E.D.T. Weekdays it's Adam-12, Dragnet, McHale's Navy, Bachelor Father, Father Knows Best, Dennis the Menace, and Leave It to Beaver. All in the Family and Maude are in prime time from 9 to 11 p.m.

So Antenna TV has also added Leave It to Beaver which we used to get on RTV! It's ironic how we lost RTV for MeTV, but then gained Antenna TV, and then many RTV shows were just added to both of those channels!

Robbie

Robbie, I don't get Antenna-TV but wish I did; it sounds like they have added a lot of cool shows!!

I'm the opposite of you with regard to Cannon and Streets. I don't really like either one of them, but one of the fringe benefits of the changes is that Perry Mason is on twice per day and the day time Mason is from the later seasons which I've never seen, so that is radical!!!

I've never been tired of The Honeymooners, I could see them all the time, and they showed a lot of the "lost" ones so I'd love to see them back on soon.

I totally dig Fantasy Saturdays, wow! I totally love the remastered Star Trek, wow, the one last night was so good, it was wild!!! I love it! And I'm digging on Lost in Space too!

These free digital subchannels are great. It's funny how they are all showing vintage TV shows, when cable channels have pretty much abandoned them. I wonder what that says.

>C. Bogle wrote:

>Maybe Warren moved in right after Barney left for Raleigh, and was lucky that Barn had already helped remove Mrs. Mendelbright's hot plate and light bulb restrictions (there might be another contender for Barney and Floyd in the penny pinching competition). Yep, burning those 40 watt or over bulbs can be real budget busters.

Yep, Mrs. Mendelbright was another cheapie! Wasn't Mrs. Mendelbright growing mushrooms in the basement? I seem to remember Barney had to move some of his belongings from her basement to Andy's garage because she was using her basement for mushrooms. Maybe they were the "magic mushrooms" and she was growing pot and running a still down there as well, the way the Morrison sisters ran a still in their flower shop. While moving Barney's belongings, they discovered the old high school yearbook which started things in motion for the high school reunion--for which, mysteriously, Thelma Lou was not present for, but she was present at the second one when she was married...to Burke from Gunsmoke !

>I have DirecTV and as far as I know I don't get any of those channels showing the old TV shows. A number of years ago TBS showed Perry Mason and I saw quite a few episodes then. You really needed a score card to keep all the relatives, friends, etc. straight in most episodes. Four or five years back Chiller showed Alfred Hitchcock Presents, but they only showed the first three or four seasons and then would start over again. It was probably some kind of contract thing. But I've seen most of them and The Alfred Hitchcock Hour over the years. It's about the same with The Twilight Zone and The Honeymooners. Though it's nice to catch up with them from time to time, I've seen them so often, it's not a big deal. There is also the fact that I don't have a lot of extra time, so I probably wouldn't watch a lot of them anyway, but it's always good to know they're available.

Unfortunately, the satellie providers do not seem interested in carrying the local digital subchannels other than the primary. MeTV, RTV, Antenna TV, and THIS are usually broadcast on the second digital subchannel in an area. (So, for example, if your TV station's over-the-air broadcast channel is 7, MeTV might be on 7-2. DirecTV will carry 7-1 (which just shows up as 7 if you're still using standard def), but it won't carry 7-2. I have DirecTV and basic cable, so I can get them through basic cable. Since they are broadcast over the air for free, you can also pick them up with an antenna. Some people can pick them up with a rabbit ear antenna or even a paper clip attached to the antenna input of your satellite box or TV. I couldn't, and I didn't want to install a big antenna outside my house, which I wasn't sure would pick them up anyway, given the difficulty I was having getting reception with rabbit ears, so I get the channels through basic cable.

One problem I have in my area, that other areas may not have, is that there are a lot of signal problems with our MeTV station. There's a lot of glitches in the picture. We don't have those problems with THIS or Antenna TV, and curiously, we didn't have those problems when the same station that now carries MeTV was carrying RTV. I called the MeTV station and they admitted they are having signal problems. It's been going on since we got the channel in April, so I don't know if it's ever going to get fixed.

I read on Weigel's (the parent corporation of MeTV) web site last year that they offered to run their sister channel, MeToo (which also showed classic TV at the time) on DirecTV for free, but DirecTV refused. I don't know why DirecTV wouldn't accept a free channel--maybe when Weigel says "free," there are some hidden costs we're not hearing about. I wish more classic TV channels were available on DirecTV.

Robbie

Also wanted to let you know if you haven't seen it already, that in honor of the show's 50th anniversary, TV Land will be running The Dick Van Dyke Show every night this week at 6 p.m. It looks like they will run five episodes every night from 6 to 9 pm. EDT. Since they are running five shows in a three-hour block, I don't know if this means the episodes will be uncut, the way TV Land did many years ago when they ran the early seasons of My Three Sons well over the 30-minute time slot so they could show them uncut. Nowadays when TV Land runs a show over the standard time slot, it's usually just to show more commercials. I fear it's going to be the latter for the airings of The Dick Van Dyke Show, but maybe it will be the former. Maybe it's going to be both!

The famous walnut episode will air tomorow night at 8:23 p.m. EDT.

Robbie

MeTV just aired the Happy Days episode "The Last of the Big Time Malphs," which featured Jack Dodson as Ralph's optometrist father Mickey Malph. Now that he's moved on from county clerk to optometrist, maybe he can afford to spring for more than a few pats of butter and free rolls for dinner...

Robbie

The Andy Griffith Show is returning to TV Land on the weekends!

In addition to the airings this week from 6 to 9 p.m. and marathons this weekend, The Dick Van Dyke Show will begin airing regularly on October 10. The airing times are weird, with it airing in hour-long blocks at three separate times during the day: 10-11 a.m., 1-2 p.m., and 7-8 p.m. EDT. Weird!

Andy will return on weekends airing from 4 to 6 p.m. EDT, leading into The Dick Van Dyke Show block at 6 p.m. Unfortunately, it appears Beaver is not returning, although it is currently airing weekdays on Antenna TV in our area.

The new TV Land schedule still does not have as much variety as I would like, with huge blocks of Bonanza and Sanford and Son on weekdays--three hours of Bonanza, and a whopping hour and a half of Sanford in the morning and two hours in the afternoon! I guess Gunsmoke and All in the Family are completely gone now. But Gunsmoke airs on MeTV and All in the Family airs on Antenna TV, although this is not much comfort to folks who don't get those channels. It's really the end of an era now for TV Land, as Gunsmoke was the last show still airing on TV Land that was airing on the channel when it originally launched.

But I'm amazed that TV Land has brought back two older shows like Andy and Dick Van Dyke. I thought they had a new rule that no TV shows with B&W episodes could be shown because they are too old, and thus, too "classic."

I have included a link and an excerpt from the article about all this from sitcomsonline.com below. I have highlighted the part about Andy in bold.

Happy viewing!

Robbie

http://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2011/09/tv-land-celebrates-50th-anniversary-of.html

The new schedule with The Dick Van Dyke Show will start Oct. 10 and the classic '60s sitcom will air three-hours a day: weekdays 10-11am, 1pm-2pm and 7-8pm. The schedule will now have Bonanza kick things off at 8am & 9am leading into Van Dyke. At 11am & 11:30am, TV Land will air Sanford & Son. Now 12pm & 12:30pm was, as of last night supposed to be Bewitched, but TV Land is now saying it will be another hour of Sanford & Son leading into more Dick Van Dyke at 1pm. IF Bewitched is listed back on at noon, we'll let you know. Back to the schedule, the TV Land Goes West Bonanza block will air from 2pm-5pm. From 5-7pm will be two more hours of Sanford & Son leading into an hour of Van Dyke at 7pm. TV Land was listing M*A*S*H at 5pm, but now they removed it (probably because they have rights from 7pm-7am only). Next we have primetime and Al Bundy and family are back again on TV Land with Married...with Children airing Mon-Sat from 8-9pm, leading into Scrubs. As mentioned, Raymond airs from 10pm-12am. The late night marathon blocks are no more and now we have a set schedule starting at 12 midnight with generally it being Roseanne at 12am, The Nanny at 1am, Three's Company at 2am, more Roseanne at 3am, more The Nanny at 4am, and Boston Legal at 5am.

*Weekends will remain the same except The Andy Griffith Show returns, airing weekends from 4-6pm following Three's Company from 2-4pm. The Andy Griffith Show will be brought in to air before The Dick Van Dyke Show, which will air on weekends from 6-8pm.* As mentioned, Married...with Children will air Saturday nights from 8-9pm, leading into Raymond from 9pm-12am. Sunday nights will still have M*A*S*H from 8-10pm into Raymond from 10-12. Late nights for weekends will have three series airing in two-hour blocks from 12-6am: The Nanny, Roseanne and Three's Company.

So this is a lot to digest. To recap, The Dick Van Dyke Show joins the schedule. Scrubs and Married...with Children return to the schedule, as does Andy Griffith Show (but on weekends only). Leaving the schedule for now will be The Jeffersons, Good Times, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, and Home Improvement. And M*A*S*H will now only air in primetime on Sunday nights.

Maybe Mrs. Mendelbright was running a one stop shop for people

who needed some stimulants to deal with those slow small town

weekends. No wonder she had so much money that she attracted

that conman trying to marry her. Appearances can be deceiving.

I caught a couple episodes of Dick Van Dyke. The last time I remember

seeing it was when it was on TV Land about a dozen years or so ago.

Not a huge favorite, but it's good to see it again. I don't know what's up

with TV Land running shows for an extra seven or so minutes. I figured

they were just trying to jam in more commercials, as if they don't have

enough already.

Hey, Andy's back, yeahhh. M*A*S*H certainly wasn't on in prime time very

long, or maybe it just seems that way. They just aired the last regular

episode a while back and started over again with the first season. It didn't

seem like they ran the whole eleven seasons, but maybe they did. I catch

Bonanza a few times a week. I've seen most of the episodes that TV Land

shows. I don't think they ever show the last few seasons. Too bad the Beaver

won't be on, but maybe he'll be back one day soon. Yes, Miss Landers.

Hot in Cleveland will be back with all new episodes in November. Oh boy, what

a thrill!

>C.Bogle wrote:

>I caught a couple episodes of Dick Van Dyke. The last time I remember seeing it was when it was on TV Land about a dozen years or so ago. Not a huge favorite, but it's good to see it again. I don't know what's up with TV Land running shows for an extra seven or so minutes. I figured they were just trying to jam in more commercials, as if they don't have enough already.

It's not my favorite, either, but it's good to see some real classic TV on TV Land again. Plus, I can record it to DVD and watch it later without worrying about the copy protect flag that seems to be on it on MeTV. Of all the shows on MeTV, only The Dick Van Dyke Show is being shown (at least in our area) with the copy protect flag on it. I can't figure out if it's the cable company or if it's coming from MeTV itself. DVRs can record it from MeTV with no problem, as cable company DVRs and Tivos do not have to honor the copy protect flag, since there is no way (or it's very hard) to transfer to DVD. It's only DVD recorders that cannot record something with the copy-protect flag on. I'm guessing it must be coming from MeTV since I see no reason why our local cable company would enable the flag on just one show. I'm guessing MeTV is required to do so by the company owning the rights to the show, just as TCM is required by the studios to put its logo on the screen.

But nothing on my DirecTV box has a copy protect flag on it, so I can record The Dick Van Dyke Show on TV Land to DVD with no problem.

>Hey, Andy's back, yeahhh. M*A*S*H certainly wasn't on in prime time very long, or maybe it just seems that way. They just aired the last regular episode a while back and started over again with the first season. It didn't seem like they ran the whole eleven seasons, but maybe they did. I catch Bonanza a few times a week. I've seen most of the episodes that TV Land shows. I don't think they ever show the last few seasons. Too bad the Beaver won't be on, but maybe he'll be back one day soon. Yes, Miss Landers.

TV Land's airings of M*A*S*H are sporadic. I was surprised to see an episode with Henry and Trapper on Sunday night because I didn't think TV Land had had time to get through all the seasons. I'm guessing from your comments that they didn't. TV Land used to show the final seasons of Bonanza, but I'm guessing the seasons with "Candy" and "Griff" were not as popular, so they stopped airing them.

I hope Leave It to Beaver will return when TV Land figures out some of the non-classics they are airing are not doing well. Yes, Miss Canfield.

>Hot in Cleveland will be back with all new episodes in November. Oh boy, what a thrill!

I saw that. They just finished a season a few months ago. How many seasons does that show have in one year?

Robbie