Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So many films and too few true classics!

Kuklapolitan

*I have been watching TCM for about a year now and am surprised at how many films they show that are not classics at all. TCM needs to learn what a true classic consists of. Age does not make a mediocre film any better! No matter how many years ago the film was put out, a lousy film remains lousy. Some days are better than others but overall I must say that TCM depends upon filler rather than true classics.*

According to you there are not that many "Classic" films, so that means TCM will be airing 24 hours a day only a few films you consider a "Classic"? That might get a little boring after the 30th airing of "It Happened One Night" in a month.....

True there are many non classic films, but one man's "Filler" may be another man's or womans classic....

"... Some days are better than others but overall I must say that TCM depends upon filler rather than true classics."

And overall I must say that this has to be the most un-original comment ever on this website. Kuklapolitan, do you have any idea how many times this complaint has been made here? I've only been participating on these forums a year, and already I've lost count.

I don't so much mind that you want to make a complaint, it's the lack of originality that annoys me. Do you imagine you're the first person to make this ill-conceived criticism? More like the thousand and first.

I'm sure if you take a deep breath and think things through...how many movies there are in the world, how many TCM has the rights to show, how many hours in a day and days in a week etc,, how varied and diverse the definition of "classic" can be, how there are thousands, possibly millions of people besides yourself who watch Turner Classic Movies and enjoy it and have different tastes from yours', plus any number of other factors, you'll realize that this is a silly and shallow complaint, one that makes me think you don't really like movies very much at all or your tolerance for what you consider to be good or at least entertaining films would be much broader.

Maybe TCM should just consult the American Film Institute's list of greatest 100 films of all time and just show them over and over again.

I would like for you to take a look at the thread titled "Why I love Classic Movies". More than 84 people in TCM Nation gave reasons why they love classic movies and what their definition of what a classic movie is. Nobody on this board has the definitive definition of what a classic movie is and there are many post on the TCM Message Boards which argue this point. I also suggest you place your opinion on another thread titled "Five Mid-Year TCM Favorites". People in TCM Nation gave their five favorite programming moments in the past six months on TCM. It will be interesting to see what your favorite programming moments were in the past six months on TCM.

One of my favorite moments were films which you would consider fillers because they are not classified as "Classic Film": The scheduling of "This Is the Night," Cary Grant's first film, "Sunny Side Up," a film which received a lot of feedback on the message boards, and the TCM premiere of "Rififi", a film which I knew nothing about until it was introduced to me during the month when TCM invited their employees to be guest programmers.

As for you using the word "filler" for films which you do not consider classic, that like art, is in the eye of the beholder. Films such as "Mourning Becomes Electra," "Strange Love of Martha Ivers," "Design For Living," "Jewel Robbery," "Border Incident," "49th Parallel," "Twentieth Century," "The Inn of the Sixth Happiness," "The Paleface," "Five Graves to Cairo," "Captain Blood," "D.O.A.", are not classics in the sense that these films made the Top 500 list of the American Film Institute but they are films of substance, great entertainment, and great cinema. A film does not have to be classified or labeled by organizations and institutions as a "Classic" to be a classic film. That is up to the individual experiencing the film.

thomas: you suggest that thread - "Why I love Classic Movies" - but you don't provide a link or any information as to how old the thread is, and how one can access it. I'm very interested in this because I recently posted basically the same thread, asking the very same question. Although quite a few people replied, I was disappointed even more didn't. I'm wondering now if it was because they'd already discussed that question in detail on this earlier thread. So I'd like to read it for that reason, plus, I'm still interested in hearing about why people like old movies, even if it's on someone else's thread.

Could you (or someone, anyone who knows about it), please provide the link, or some way to find that earlier thread with what I consider to be the key topic on these boards ? Thanks.

"... Some days are better than others but overall I must say that TCM depends upon filler rather than true classics."

And overall I must say that this has to be the most un-original comment ever on this website. Kuklapolitan, do you have any idea how many times this complaint has been made here? I've only been participating on these forums a year, and already I've lost count.

I don't so much mind that you want to make a complaint, it's the lack of originality that annoys me. Do you imagine you're the first person to make this ill-conceived criticism? More like the thousand and first.

misswonderly, I understand your love of TCM and classic films in general, but can you please cut Kuklapolitan some slack. He has only been a member since June 11th and is not yet used to the way things work here. Besides, I am sure that a great percentage of new topics are similar in content to previous topics. If it was the policy that we had to read every topic or post since the boards creation, before we posted something new, nothing would ever get posted. I am not defending or rejecting the OP's original comment. Just his right to post something that is bothering him. I'll leave it to others to defend or rip into the content of his post. But, don't you all think the Piranah routine has kind of played itself out?

*I surely thank all of you for not understanding what I said. It is obviously a subjective comment. Having said that let me correct you on a few things. I am NOT a he...this is something you assumed. I am not new to film or classic movie channels. I am 64 years of age and have loved movies since I was 9 years old. I know a classic when I see one and I'll call a klunker just that when I happen to run across it. I've only been watching TMC for a year and I find my comment to be appropriate for all intents and purposes. I really don't care how many people have said it before I did* *and your pointing it out only makes me believe that it has to be a point well taken or not many would have mentioned it to begin with*. *Thanks for your friendly response and thanks for playing!*

Filler or not, that TCM celebrates the birthday of a star such as Joan Davis, like it did this morning, should be a cause for celebration.

I feel sorry for anyone that can't enjoy such presentations.

Kyle In Hollywood

Ok, let me rethink this or rephrase this or something.

First, I'm sorry if I came across as "attacking" you, or "not cutting you any slack" ( someone else's words, not yours' ) or excessively aggressive. It's actually kind of ironic that I've inadvertently come across that way, as when I started posting here a little over a year ago, I was not very well received at all by some older posters, and was accused of starting trouble, being a "troll", etc. This was not only untrue, it was ironic, as this is the very first "social networking"/internet discussion site I'd ever been on ( still is.) What went wrong for me was stating that I disliked a famous and beloved classic actress, and many took offence at that where none was intended.

Second, I guess that without meaning to, I've sort of slipped into the role of a self-appointed arbitrar of the boards, judging and officiating where I was never asked to do so. And I certainly have no right to tell you or anyone what to do or say around here.

So why did I do it? Well, honestly, if you'd seen as many new threads started by new posters as I have, complaining about TCM's programming, you'd be a little weary of it too. I'm not a Turner Classic Movies "apologist", whatever exactly that is. But I like the station, I like old movies, in fact I like movies, period. I'm just happy that it's free, it has no commercials, and it plays lots of films that I like.

It also plays lots of films I don't like- without a doubt, I actually consider many to be rubbish, just quaint old 1930s or 40s rubbish instead of harsh 21st century rubbish. And yeah, there are many - probably the majority of what they show - that I do not consider "classic" in any strictly defined sense of the word. So what? They show more than enough films that I love, like, or at the very least am interested in seeing. And I don't have time to watch TCM or any other television station 24 hours a day anyway - surely nobody does.

So why don't you just pick and choose what you want to see and what you don't want to see? When they're showing stuff I have no desire to watch, I 'm almost glad, as I have many other things I either should do or want to do. ( "Should do" - boring household tasks/ "Want to do" - read, email a friend , go for a walk...)

I kind of regret taking on that officious tone with you, but I do get exasperated by all the people who seem to want to post here just to complain about something TCM does or does not do. You say:

"... *I really don't care how many people have said it before I did* *and your pointing it out only makes me believe that it has to be a point well taken or not many would have mentioned it to begin with*."

But to me, the fact that a lot of people have made the same criticism doesn't make it any more valid, it just means there are many TCM viewers who want the station to show exactly what they like, and nothing outside of that narrow (ish) range.

As for the definition of "classic", that too has been discussed here until the cows come home ( a classic expression in itself, that. And when do the cows come home, anyway?) The word "classic" scans well in the phrase "Turner Classic Movies" ; that, plus the fact that they use the term "classic" in its broadest sense, is probably why they decided on that name for their station. I suspect they did not mean "classic" in its most literal definition. I bet when they decided to name themselves that they never foresaw all the arguments and outrage it would engender on the part of future TCM fans.

All right, I'll get off the grandstand now. Hopefully I've explained my point of view a little better. Maybe next time, we can discuss something like your list of what some of your favourite classic movies are. That would be fun.

Edited by: misswonderly on Jun 29, 2011 7:23 PM

I think that will just invite more argument. The original poster may provide a definition or set of criteria, but many will disagree with it.

The thread is an opinion thread, and either you agree with the poster's views or you don't and that's all there is to it. It's a relatively flat topic without much dimension to it.

Kuklapolitan's point is simple enough. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week TCM is running movies under the umbrella of 'turner classic movies'

Well, I'm annoyed too. I originally started watching because I thought it was a channel devoted strictly to the films of Lana Turner. Imagine my surprise many years ago when I saw that this was not so.

Not only are they wrong on the "classic" part, they're wrong on the "Turner" part. Not only does Lana have no say in things, but Ted Turner doesn't either.

I suggest to management that they just call the station "movies" but caution them that if they do, then they better not run anymore of those underwater documentaries that were made for television.

If you don't think the name "Turner Classic Movies" is appropriate then maybe you should suggest that they change their name to "Turner Classic Movies, Non-Classic Movies, Short Films, Documentaries, Commentaries, Interviews and DVD Promotionals".

But then they would be known as TCMNMSFDCIDP. :)

*I just wanted to thank all of you for weighing back in with your comments. We all have our thoughts as to what a true classic film is and we all know what a "B" movie is. I'm just surprised that I've had to make a "C" list on TCM as well. I know we would agree on most classics which are too many to list here and we may even overlap in our feelings about "B" movies that ought to be classics and vice versa. I believe, to some extent, that the term "Classic Film" may be a subjective one as we all have some favorites that don't quite fit the bill but remain in our hearts forever more.*

*I've just begun to take an interest in posting and writing some reciews on films I like and dislike. It's kind of a fun thing to do most times. I certainly didn't mean to start a war with my first post. I can be combative but I don't really like to be if I can help it. One last thing...I will always be glad there is a station like TCM so I can enjoy, along with many others, the films that have stood the test of time and remained beloved by all. I look forward to those films and a few others I have discovered on TCM this past year. I do watch movies that I've never seen before and am always surprised at my reaction to them. It's either where have you been all my life or are they crazy putting a film like this on a classic station?*

Edited by: Kuklapolitan on Jun 30, 2011 7:23 PM

Archived