Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WILL THE THREE-MONTH SCHEDULES RETURN?

I'm equally disturbed by the slow pace at which TCM has been working on the printable schedules since the introduction of the flawed software in March. The only improvement I have observed since early May is that it is now possible to set your time zone and not have it revert to Eastern every time you go to a new page.

I don't turn on my computer every day and prefer to have schedules on paper. A suggestion for those who object to all the paper a 1-month schedule uses. Copy and paste it to Word or other word processor as "unformatted text", then strategically replace the carriage returns with tabs, spaces, etc., leaving just one carriage return after each movie, specify hanging indent, and make the text 10-point. After about 5-10 minutes of tweaking I am able to produce a very readable monthly schedule on about 18 pages.

My suggestion to one and all is that if and when they do come back, save the file to your hard drive.

I don't bother to print them, I just keep a browser tab open to the current month's schedule. I've got them up through September, so it won't affect me until the first of October. Even then if it's not fixed, I'll find a work-around but it won't be buying the magazine.

Up through the beginning of March, it used to take about fifteen seconds to copy a month's schedule and paste it onto a Word document, and about two hours to go through that Word document with a fine tooth comb and create a personal viewing guide, simply by deleting the movies you didn't want to see.

Now when you do that, you're left with huge gaps of undeletable boxed-in blank spaces in between your choices, which makes what was formerly a 6 to 12 page document into one that takes up 40 pages. I have yet to find any way around this that doesn't involve dozens of hours of extra work, involving hundreds of extra steps.

Within a few days after this dreadful format had been introduced, we were promised to get the old format restored, but that was nearly 4 months ago, and still we've got this monstrosity to deal with.

TCM is the world's greatest network, and I can hardly think of anything else to complain about, but if there's an upside to this new schedule, I'd sure like to know what it is. And I'd sure like to hear an explanation as to why they're taking so long to at least post the old format as an alternative. But so far the stonewalling is nearly Nixonian in scope.

Thanks for the suggestion, MovieMadness, but it doesn't really work. You lose the title links, and since each line is separated you wind up with a single day's listings running over four pages. Under the old format, when you copied and pasted onto a blank Word page, you kept the title links, and with one simple keystroke you could separate the individual titles and have all the information together.. The bottom line is that they broke something that never needed to be fixed.

If you want to keep the formatting and just remove the movies you don't want, you can also copy the webpage itself by right clicking on the page and click *View Page Source*

Then you copy all of that and paste into Word and it should bring up the webpage correctly if it is set to *HTML*.

Then you can remove the movies you don't want and print.

Any further inquiries about TCM monthly schedules should be sent to:

Now Playing Magazine

Subscription Department

Please enclose a check or money order (no stamps) for $12.95 and we will send you the first of twelve responses to your question in approximately six weeks.

:) :8} :D :^0 ;)

Please note that all money received will go toward further improvements to the web site.

Awww - I put all of the smileys there just to show I was trying to be of good humor about it.

I've got the next three months saved on my PC, so if it takes them that long...

As long as there is a way that I can just look at the next few days, it's really not that big a deal to me, I'll adjust. I am more concerned about what happens on the air - the increased errors, the full screen prints, movies that run backwards, showing the wrong movie...

There will always be mistakes in any endeavor, but the thing is to learn from them and not continue the practices that enable the mistakes to happen.

Well, I have a feeling we will no longer receive the schedule three months in advance.

But considering how some people feel about TCM airing all that filler, what good will a schedule do them? LOL

The advance schedules made nice talking points, not only here but on other web sites that I frequent. But when I had the Fox Movie Channel, most of the time you could only go two weeks in advance and you had to do that one day at a time.

Maybe there will be more joy in not knowing so early what's going to be running. When I was a kid, it was get the TV Guide on Wednesday to see what was on next week. That was good enough, and it was also all that we had.

Does anyone know where the July monthly schedule is because I'm not seeing it. Or are we not even going to get a printable schedule in the month itself?

Count me in on being greatly disappointed on TCM's desire to break something that wasn't broke. BRING BACK THE THREE MONTH SCHEDULE PLEASE.

I *would* pay for this service, but I'd rather have it as it is currently, in an HTML/txt format, and not snail-mailed to me, in a magazine format. For the last few years, I've been able to to take the full month schedule and upload it into an Access database, where it is linked with IMDB's tables, so to sort the months by genre, score, # of votes, year, and ratings. This is far more desirable than the paper format that they wish to schlepp out to subscribers.

Edited by: Nick_Alexander on Jul 1, 2011 11:53 AM

As I type this, daily and weekly schedules can be displayed through the end of September.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2011-09-24

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2011-09-30

Since we have all learned, through experience, what TCM’s policy is regarding Things That Aren’t Broken, this might be a good time to copy and paste the listings into a file on your local hard drive.

{font:Verdana}Move 'em on, head 'em up,

Head 'em up, move 'em out,

Move 'em on, head 'em out Rawhide!{font}

I don't think that there is the slightest chance that a three month schedule will return. Possibly it was an accident that the buttons were lost, with the so-called "upgrade" back in March. But, they remained accessible, by entering the address with the month's date. I don't think it was an accident when those links stopped working. I think they meant to take them away. Really, I think they meant to take them away in March, when they got rid of the buttons, and it just took them longer to get rid of the addresses.

Right now, I'd settle for the next month being available, in monthly form. But, I doubt we'll get that. Can't TCM understand how ridiculous it is to not post a month's schedule, until the month has begun? Thanks to FredCDobbs - posting a link to a cached schedule for July, I was able to at least get this month before it started. But next month, I doubt it.

When I can get the advance monthly schedule, I just copy and paste the films I want to see/record into an e-mail, and send it to myself, with added info about aspect ratios, and DVD availability.

What the heck happened to the schedules? I just turned my satellite service back on, and the first thing I did was come here to check out the next few months worth of TCM...and it's gone! The FOX MOVIE CHANNEL has a better schedule on their website, and that's pretty sad. Bring them back TCM!