Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Complain about what?

Yes, as I understand it, Maurice "Rocket" Richard is practically a god in Quebec. At least to Quebecois over 40. I think there was a biography about the Rocket published recently.

Maybe we should explain to those who have never heard of Maurice Richard that he was a much celebrated hockey player for the Montreal Canadiens in the 1940s and 50s.

Edited by: misswonderly on Jul 2, 2011 10:57 AM

TikiSoo wrote:

"...Toronto contains several clean mature treed neighborhoods populated with large depression era houses often used as US period locations. I can always spot a Canadian neighborhood in a modern film...."

Yup, that sounds like my home town all right.

4 months of summer, and 2 months of in-between unpredictable weather

My God. You're in Chicago!

Of course, you needn't explain the ins and outs of your country's government. That stuff is very complicated. It's hard here too, though I was a little shocked years ago while on a tour of our capitol. The guide showed us where the senate meets, where the house meets. A man asked, "Well, where does congress meet?"

I'm sorry. You'll have to go back to stupid school. You're not DUMB ENOUGH yet!

Everyone knows Canada is just another US territory....we just let them believe differently!

Don't kill me Misswonderly I was just kidding. I don't know much about Canadian performers but I do like Canada. I visited Toronto and Vancouver and they are both lovely cities.

voranis wrote:

"...P.S. Many of our comedians such as Mike Myers and our journalists such as Peter Jennings are originally from Canada."

Hmm, well I'll let Peter Jennings go, he probably spent more of his life in the States than he did in Canada. But why do you say "*our* comedian Mike Myers..." ? I'm not sure I even want to claim Mike Myers as a Canadian, some of his comedies have been quite dubious, especially his recent ones. That said, I don't think you can say Mike Myers is "our comedien" if you mean by that, you think of him as American. I don't care whether Myers currently resides in the U.S. or not, he's about as Canadian as you can get.

But I realize that perhaps I'm being petty, and anyway, who wants to fight over Mike Myers ! ]:)

Kinokima baby, no probs.

By the way...you have a pretty sophisticated taste in film, you watch foreign films etc. Have you seen any French-Canadian movies? TopBilled mentioned *Jesus of Montreal*. Have you seen that? Antthing by Guy Maddin? Bruce Macdonald? These guys are pretty good.

No one has mentioned my favorite Canadian filmmakers - David Cronenberg and Guy Maddin. I like Egoyan too, and like *Jesus of Montreal*, but I don't think I've seen of Arcand's other films.

OOPS! How could I miss that missw had mentioned Maddin, just below my post! Sorry!

Edited by: ValentineXavier on Jul 2, 2011 8:17 PM

misswonderly knows my favorite Candian production is "Talking To Americans" with Rick Mercer (was it ever part of This Hour Has 22 Minutes?)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0282195/

If you have a chance, take a look at an episode or two. Whenever I hear Mike Huckabee is running for president, I recall the episode where he congratulated Canada for "saving your National Igloo from global warming" or something along those lines.

I also couldn't stop laughing on a "Buddy" segment of Kids In The Hall (thankfully made it's way to the US airwaves) where he says in his smiling **** voice, "I was just in my friend's movie! Of course it was Canadian. It didn't make a DIME."

Yes, Rick Mercer's "Talking to Americans" is hilarious ( at least to Canadians.) Now, to be fair, sometimes Rick kind of set them up; and I've no doubt that there would probably be occasions when I would be as woefully ignorant about some things American. Still, it's a pretty funny show.

Some people here have mentioned Leslie Nielsen. Shirley nobody can forget *Forbidden Planet*.

Also, some useless trivia that I posted here last fall, when Nielsen died: Leslie Nielsen had a brother, Eric Nielsen, who was a politician (Conservative, I believe) and served on the prime minister's cabinet in the 80s.

And he didn't even take the brain boost !

Edited by: misswonderly on Jul 3, 2011 5:52 PM

(sp.)

Just wanted to clear something up. I doubt that anyone knows or cares that I made this mistake, but I care. ( tried to italicize the word "I" but the system wouldn't let me.) When explaining on this thread what "Canada Day" is, I mistakenly stated that the first Prime Minister of Canada, John A. Macdonald, signed the British North American Act on July 1st. I was wrong - Queen Victoria signed it. What Macdonald signed was a document pertaining to the confederation of what were then British Territories.

( I know this is boring and has nothing to do with movies, but I wanted to correct this misinformation. )

Oh, and by the way, just throwing this out there.. as someone else here has pointed out,.another famous actor who was born in Canada: Glenn Ford.

To the delightful MissW- to quote her:

4) I added a 4th misconception: that Canadians are dull. Even the polite thing has been exaggerated. As for dull, that's why I started this thread in the first place - to debunk that notion. There are many many famous entertainers, comedians, actors, actresses, directors, writers, painters, journalists, etc. etc. in your country ( as well as ours' obviously ) who are or were Canadian.

That is one misconception I have never held. You folks just aren't boastful and proud as some of the individuals south of your border.

I am studying French currently. I loved Montreal and Quebec City (which the locals just call Quebec). I have found that Canadians are, without exception, polite, kind and good-natured.

One of my absolute favorite Canadian is Paul Gross. Loved the man ever since I first saw him in the TV show Due South and later series Slings and Arrows.

His imdb.com page:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0343472/

Edited by: casablancalover on Jul 5, 2011 12:53 PM -because I typo too..

I saw Paul Gross in a World War I film last night called *Passendaele* which he also directed. He was also really good as the Jack Nicholson character in the short lived Eastwick series.

Another great Canadian film is *Last Night* dirceted by actor Don McKellar. Sandra Oh, David Cronenberg, And Genvieve Bujold are also in it. The ending is amazing.

casablancalover wrote:

"...One of my absolute favorite Canadian is Paul Gross. Loved the man ever since I first saw him in the TV show Due South and later series Slings and Arrows. "

Bonus: He's very good-looking. ;)

misswonderly, Have you read Pierre Burton's Hollywood's Canada? It's very funny and highlights most of the ridiculous notions about Canada that Hollywood has propagated from the days when Canada was euphemistically known as 'God's Country' and every French-Canadian was either named Raoul or Pierre, wore a touque, carried a knife and always liked to rape the heroine. Very funny stuff. A unique passage illustrates the opening sequence of Walsh's Northern Pursuit, where a Nazi sub surfaces in Hudson's Bay and we see that great body of water surrounded by snowy mountains instead of swampy wetlands. I'm sure there's a few souls down south who probably still think we go to trading posts to get our goods and there always a Mountie nearby to aid a helping hand (and who looks like Paul Gross).

There was a similar thread here around six years ago, and it's probably been that long since I've posted a message here but Torontonians always have to pipe up about something.

A staggering number of American features and television shows are processed at Technicolor and Deluxe here in Toronto and we're indespensible to the American film industry, whether our dollar is (finally) above or on equal par with the greenback or not. We just suck at making films and TV shows that look like the CBC didn't have a hand in it. If they're not pretentious, they're usually pretty boring and of very little interest to anyone outside of Canada.

I'm glad you came around to Norma Shearer. She's far too maligned.

>earlier quote from casablancalover:

>"...One of my absolute favorite Canadians is Paul Gross. Loved the man ever since I first saw him in the TV show Due South and later series Slings and Arrows. "

>

>MissWonderly added:

>Bonus: He's very good-looking.

Oh, you noticed that too? Seeing him in that Mountie uniform. . . (sighing, then panting)