Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

TopBilled's latest pick

What a GREAT ####### movie, and what a sterling performance by Charles Laughton. Don''t miss it for anything.

• Like 1

What a GREAT ####### movie, and what a sterling performance by Charles Laughton. Don''t miss it for anything.

And Laughton's wife, Elsa Lanchester, has a memorable role. Their costar, Maureen O'Sullivan, was the wife of the film's director, John Farrow. So you might call it an all-in-the-family type production.

I love The Big Clock, it's great fun.

All the performances are highly enjoyable, especially, as Andy mentioned, Charles Laughton's as the corporate ( and very corporeal) business chief.

Also, as TB notes, you've got to watch for Laughton's real life wife, Elsa Lanchester, who in typical E.L. fashion plays a dotty eccentric lady, this time an artist whose work plays a key part in the complex but riveting plot.

I'm just surprised that TB posted the thread about it here in General Discussions, since it's regarded by many as a film noir, albeit a pretty lightweight one.

I mean, it's listed in the film noir bible, "Film Noir: An Encyclopaedic Reference to the American Style", by Alain Silver and Elizabeth Ward, therefore it must be a film noir.  :l

Not that I have any objections to a discussion about The Big Clock in this forum.

• Like 1

I love The Big Clock, it's great fun.

All the performances are highly enjoyable, especially, as Andy mentioned, Charles Laughton's as the corporate ( and very corporeal) business chief.

Also, as TB notes, you've got to watch for Laughton's real life wife, Elsa Lanchester, who in typical E.L. fashion plays a dotty eccentric lady, this time an artist whose work plays a key part in the complex but riveting plot.

I'm just surprised that TB posted the thread about it here in General Discussions, since it's regarded by many as a film noir, albeit a pretty lightweight one.

I mean, it's listed in the film noir bible, "Film Noir: An Encyclopaedic Reference to the American Style", by Alain Silver and Elizabeth Ward, therefore it must be a film noir.  :l

Not that I have any objections to a discussion about The Big Clock in this forum.

Glad you don't have a problem with it. The title of this thread is 'Tomorrow' and each day it will be updated to highlight/advertise a film coming up on TCM's schedule the following day that shouldn't be missed. Some of those titles will be crime films (TCM does not categorize them as noir on the schedule). And some of them will be in other genres.

If someone wants to make a thread to more specifically discuss THE BIG CLOCK or any upcoming film featured in the thread, then I am sure that can be done in the various genre sub-forums. 

I started with this film today not because of its genre or even its actors and director-- but because it was a Paramount film that does not turn up frequently on TCM. I thought folks would appreciate a reminder in case they forgot to set the DVR for it.

There's a wonderful moment in DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE where one of the characters is playing a fiddle and the music starts a second or so before his bow hits the strings. It always makes me smile.

And the scene with the dancing leprechauns that follows the out-of-sync fiddle-playing is freaky cool.

PS. The Chicago River was died green this morning for the St. Patrick's Day parade.

• Like 1

There's a wonderful moment in DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE where one of the characters is playing a fiddle and the music starts a second or so before his bow hits the strings. It always makes me smile.

And the scene with the dancing leprechauns that follows the out-of-sync fiddle-playing is freaky cool.

PS. The Chicago River was died green this morning for the St. Patrick's Day parade.

Sounds fun. I lived in Chicago for a short time in my late teens. 

I remember seeing bits and pieces of DARBY on The Disney Channel in the 90s (does that sound right? I can't remember any other cable channel playing this film, not even the old AMC). But it's been a while, and I probably didn't see it all the way through, from start to finish. So I am eagerly awaiting this TCM broadcast tomorrow evening.

I remember seeing bits and pieces of DARBY on The Disney Channel in the 90s (does that sound right? I can't remember any other cable channel playing this film, not even the old AMC). But it's been a while, and I probably didn't see it all the way through, from start to finish. So I am eagerly awaiting this TCM broadcast tomorrow evening.

Yeah, Disney Channel used to have a programming block in the late night and overnight hours where old feature films and television series and specials were aired. At some point the programming was designated as "Vault Disney." One series I really enjoyed was THE ADVENTURES OF GALLEGHER. I recorded some programming on VHS tape, but who knows where those tapes are now. Even if my mother kept them I would have to find a VCR to play them. Argh!

Disney Channel didn't interupt their movies with commercials for products but they did break to show promos for other programming on the channel and for mini-interviews. I remember one with Celine Dion talking about growing up with her family making music at the dinner table clicking forks on pickle jars.

• Like 2

Yeah, Disney Channel used to have a programming block in the late night and overnight hours where old feature films and television series and specials were aired. At some point the programming was designated as "Vault Disney." One series I really enjoyed was THE ADVENTURES OF GALLEGHER. I recorded some programming on VHS tape, but who knows where those tapes are now. Even if my mother kept them I would have to find a VCR to play them. Argh!

Disney Channel didn't interupt their movies with commercials for products but they did break to show promos for other programming on the channel and for mini-interviews. I remember one with Celine Dion talking about growing up with her family making music at the dinner table clicking forks on pickle jars.

Thanks for the info, Holden. They also showed non-Disney produced shows, because I remember watching the first season of The New Leave It To Beaver. Plus, I think the Disney Channel showed classic episodes of the old Ozzie & Harriet sitcom, with Harriet Nelson filming new wraparounds. Does that seem correct?

They also showed non-Disney produced shows, because I remember watching the first season of The New Leave It To Beaver. Plus, I think the Disney Channel showed classic episodes of the old Ozzie & Harriet sitcom, with Harriet Nelson filming new wraparounds. Does that seem correct?

T.B.: you are correct regarding the airing of the original Ozzie & Harriet episodes during the late '80s and early '90s. If I'm not mistaken, I seem to connect the two in my mind, Disney also aired episodes of A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor (could this be correct?).

One series I really enjoyed was THE ADVENTURES OF GALLEGHER.

That was my favorite Disney series as a child. "Nosing around for news!"

T.B.: you are correct regarding the airing of the original Ozzie & Harriet episodes during the late '80s and early '90s. If I'm not mistaken, I seem to connect the two in my mind, Disney also aired episodes of A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor (could this be correct?).

Thanks. That's what I remembered. And I think when some of the Ozzie & Harriet episodes were put on VHS in the 80s/90s, they included the wraparounds with Harriet that aired on the Disney Channel. There were over 400 episodes produced but maybe only half of them aired in reruns. And only a handful, like some of the very special episodes, found their way to home video at the time. 

Thanks for the info, Holden. They also showed non-Disney produced shows, because I remember watching the first season of The New Leave It To Beaver. Plus, I think the Disney Channel showed classic episodes of the old Ozzie & Harriet sitcom, with Harriet Nelson filming new wraparounds. Does that seem correct?

Yeah, Disney Channel did show series from other sources. I think OZZIE AND HARRIET was on in the early 1990s. They also showed episodes of DINOSAURS, GROWING PAINS, THE BABY-SITTERS CLUB, BROTHERLY LOVE and SPELLBINDER (a great Australian and Polish series about parallel worlds).

I'm not sure about THE NEW LEAVE IT TO BEAVER being on Disney Channel.

Yeah, Disney Channel did show series from other sources. I think OZZIE AND HARRIET was on in the early 1990s. They also showed episodes of DINOSAURS, GROWING PAINS, THE BABY-SITTERS CLUB, BROTHERLY LOVE and SPELLBINDER (a great Australian and Polish series about parallel worlds).

I'm not sure about THE NEW LEAVE IT TO BEAVER being on Disney Channel.

Well, some of the shows you mentioned like Dinosaurs and Growing Pains were produced by ABC, which Disney bought. 

The New Leave It To Beaver was originally titled Still the Beaver, which was the title for a made-for-TV reunion movie on CBS. The movie did very well with 80s audiences who were experiencing a wave of nostalgia (mostly people that were the age of Tony Dow and Jerry Mathers and wanted to share a new generation of the program with their own children). Still the Beaver became a weekly series with new episodes airing on the Disney Channel. But it was cancelled after one season, then picked up for syndication with additional episodes produced under the title The New Leave It To Beaver. 

I think there have been legal issues regarding the series, because it never gets rerun (over 100 episodes were made). And it was never released on home video. It almost should be on TV Land along with the original version, but something is preventing that from happening. 

Interestingly, The New Leave It To Beaver was not filmed in California. Instead, it was filmed at Universal Studios in Florida. That leads me to believe Universal owns the biggest chunk of the show, but I wonder if Disney still owns a piece of it, too.

That was my favorite Disney series as a child. "Nosing around for news!"

Here's the only GALLAGHER clip I could find on You Tube:

You can see the Disney Channel logo in the corner.

Maybe TCM will air this Treasure from the Disney Vault.

imgres26.jpg

According to MovieCollector, TCM last aired the Samuel Goldwyn production in August 2009.

1375294867138-795994043.jpeg

Tomorrow on TCM:

screen-shot-2015-03-16-at-6-07-17-pm.png

MovieCollector could not find any matches for this film, going back to 2002 or 2003. TCM is not listing it as a premiere, but it has been over a decade (or longer) since it last aired. It was the first of six pictures for Ann Sothern and Gene Raymond. Let everyone know it's on tomorrow, and find any way you can think of to broadcast the news. Gene Raymond will help you.

screen-shot-2015-03-16-at-6-06-52-pm.png

Rita Johnson to Charles Laughton in THE BIG CLOCK: "You'd be pathetic if you weren't so disgusting!!

Ouch!

• Like 1

Rita Johnson to Charles Laughton in THE BIG CLOCK: "You'd be pathetic if you weren't so disgusting!!

Ouch!

Rita Johnson is one who had a nice Hollywood career, usually as leads in moderately budgeted programmers (at MGM) and as second leads or doing supporting parts in more prestigious fare. Of course, I will always remember her as Roddy McDowall's mom in the FLICKA movies. And she plays Robert Young's doomed wife in THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME.

The entire cast in THE BIG CLOCK is simply excellent.

Tomorrow on TCM:

images23.jpg

According to MovieCollector's records, CHRISTOPHER STRONG has not aired on TCM since October 2013.

imgres33.jpg