Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

TopBilled's latest pick

I never thought of The Big Heat as particularly underplayed, since I've recorded it four times and could have recorded it even more, but I could certainly live with its being shown on a NBNW frequency.  Definitely a 9 or 9.5 on a 10 scale.

And I'd also put it up there with Lang's best (of many good) Hollywood films, even though I'm even more partial to several  that he made in Germany.*  IMO Lang's just about up there with Kurosawa and Ozu and Hitchcock for a career that combined quality with longevity.  I'd love to see him given a month's long treatment with his German movies being shown to the fullest extent they're available, as well as his French-made version Liliom.

*particularly M, Spione and the two Dr. Mabuse movies, and Metropolis to a slightly lesser extent)

Yes, that is why I'm not bitching too much about it. Because I am sure TCM will do a spotlight on him at some point, like they did with Orson Welles.

Lang's films and his overall motion picture legacy is too great for them to ignore.

I do hope that our comments today encourage people who haven't seen THE BIG HEAT to check it out this afternoon on TCM.

Right-- without commercial interruptions.

As we know, not everyone has a DVR. And come on, this is Fritz Lang, one of the great undisputed masters of the genre. A film like THE BIG HEAT should have a primetime showing during a series like Summer of Darkness. Maybe next time it will.

I've found nothing worse than landing on a movie on Movies-TV or GET-TV that I would really like to see and then.............blammo, a commercial for adult diapers.

For those without a DVR, those stations are no better than the networks.

I've found nothing worse than landing on a movie on Movies-TV or GET-TV that I would really like to see and then.............blammo, a commercial for adult diapers.

Speaking of stations without commercials, do you watch WNET's Saturday night lineup, when they're not pledging that is?

Don't know if it's still available anywhere, but catch it if you can, it was brilliant - the indie Putzel.

A love letter to NYC as those movies yesterday were a love letter to San Francisco.

Yes, because at least the films are still airing and still being made available to a wide audience of viewers.

I have Charter cable and for whatever reason, they do not offer Movies-TV or Get-TV.

It looks like I am going to have to wait until July 31st to see THE BIG HEAT again on TCM all the way through, uninterrupted. We had two child abduction alerts horn in on the action this afternoon.

Topbilled's pick for tomorrow:

imgres-14.jpg

Where: TCM

Last aired: August 2013

imgres9.jpg

Reason to watch: MGM's original (silent) version of the classic. Lewis Stone appears in both productions.

It looks like I am going to have to wait until July 31st to see THE BIG HEAT again on TCM all the way through, uninterrupted. We had two child abduction alerts horn in on the action this afternoon.

Yikes.

It was good, but I didn't care about any of the characters. As someone observed, though, hoo boy were the wimmen dispensable.

Oh, and catch the Little Ricky actor react to Ford messing up her police station made out of blocks before he did it. Sheesh.

Yikes.

It was good, but I didn't care about any of the characters. As someone observed, though, hoo boy were the wimmen dispensable.

Oh, and catch the Little Ricky actor react to Ford messing up her police station made out of blocks before he did it. Sheesh.

LOL...I am usually so mesmerized by Gloria Grahame in this film I don't see much else. :)

We had another child abduction alert shortly after I made my earlier post. So we had three interruptions during a two-hour period. People please watch your children so the rest of the community doesn't have to.

Looking forward to seeing this film later tonight. I didn't realize it was 124 minutes.

Can't wait to see what a more youthful Lewis Stone is like. Or maybe he was the kind of actor who never looked young, even when he was...?

Topbilled's latest pick:

mv5bnju0nzg2njqwml5bml5banbnxkftztgwmtux

Last aired: January 2012

11268-16835.jpg

Reason to watch: Early James Mason. Very young James Mason. 

Topbilled's latest pick:

mv5bnju0nzg2njqwml5bml5banbnxkftztgwmtux

Last aired: January 2012

11268-16835.jpg

Reason to watch: Early James Mason. Very young James Mason. 

If I liked James Mason, I would try to watch him at 4:30am!

Conflict is on today at 4:00pm. Is that the one where the wife is dead under a pile of logs and the horse watches over her? That was a good movie, whatever it was. Not great, soapy and all, but a fun watch. 

I liked Horn Blows At Midnight, directly after, too.

If I liked James Mason, I would try to watch him at 4:30am!

Conflict is on today at 4:00pm. Is that the one where the wife is dead under a pile of logs and the horse watches over her? That was a good movie, whatever it was. Not great, soapy and all, but a fun watch. 

I liked Horn Blows At Midnight, directly after, too.

Glad you mentioned CONFLICT. It's sort of an underrated gem in Bogart's filmography. However, the plot is very similar to the one in THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS. Both of which costar the luscious Alexis Smith, as the 'other woman.'

Yeah, Disney Channel did show series from other sources. I think OZZIE AND HARRIET was on in the early 1990s. They also showed episodes of DINOSAURS, GROWING PAINS, THE BABY-SITTERS CLUB, BROTHERLY LOVE and SPELLBINDER (a great Australian and Polish series about parallel worlds).

Some of those series did not generate very many episodes, did they? I don't remember BROTHERLY LOVE lasting very long. But GROWING PAINS certainly did. 

Topbilled's latest pick:

220px-themanfromcolorado.jpg

Where: Retroplex

man-from-colorado-1.jpg

Reason to watch: This was the second and last film in which Glenn Ford & William Holden costarred. Both in Columbia westerns. The two actors were life-long friends.

Topbilled's latest pick:

220px-themanfromcolorado.jpg

man-from-colorado-1.jpg

Reason to watch: This was the second and last film in which Glenn Ford & William Holden costarred. Both in Columbia westerns. The two actors were life-long friends.

Blech. Sorry, no can do. :D

Blech. 

LOL-- I think the first one they did was called TEXAS, in the early 40s when they were both very young and not experienced at making films. 

In some ways, Holden and Ford had similar career trajectories. They were both top box office stars in the 50s, turning out hit after hit. And they both made films in their later years (starring roles too). But Holden seems to have been more of a critics' darling than Ford.

I've stated before that TMFC and Texas are a great double feature as we get to see both men playing the hero and villain. It also shows their versatility as well as growth as actors over the five-year span between films.  I don't think Ford ever became quite the actor Holden did but his long career shows he had a fan base that lasted over 50 years so he must have had something the public liked.   Holden's accomplishments speak for themselves.

• Like 1

I've stated before that TMFC and Texas are a great double feature as we get to see both men playing the hero and villain. It also shows their versatility as well as growth as actors over the five-year span between films.  I don't think Ford ever became quite the actor Holden did but his long career shows he had a fan base that lasted over 50 years so he must have had something the public liked.   Holden's accomplishments speak for themselves.

You stated this quite well wouldbestar. My guess is that Ford may have been the commercial favorite (with mainstream audiences) while Holden was more the critical favorite (who also had success with audiences). It's too bad the guys didn't make another western when they were older. 

And yes, MAN FROM COLORADO and TEXAS as a double-feature on TCM?  Great idea!

Topbilled's latest pick:

tomorrow_is_another_day_poster_small.jpg

screen-shot-2015-06-11-at-7-03-19-pm.png

Reason to watch: It's part of TCM's Summer of Darkness series tomorrow. Ruth Roman and Steve Cochran burn up the screen, just like a fire in Atlanta. If you don't watch it, you won't receive an invitation to the next cotillion ball at Tara.

• Like 1

Topbilled's latest pick:

tomorrow_is_another_day_poster_small.jpg

screen-shot-2015-06-11-at-7-03-19-pm.png

Reason to watch: It's part of TCM's Summer of Darkness series tomorrow. Ruth Roman and Steve Cochran burn up the screen, just like a fire in Atlanta. If you don't watch it, you won't receive an invitation to the next cotillion ball at Tara.

Absolutely.   Fabulous movie, with Roman at her best.   It's also one of the few times that Cochran plays a sympathetic character, which also makes it worth watching just for that alone.

BTW I used to confuse Cochran with Brad Dexter, even though they don't really look all that much alike.  Has Dexter ever played a good guy in any movie?  He always seems the embodiment of pure evil.

sssteve4.jpg?w=243&h=3004603-924.jpg

• Like 2

Absolutely.   Fabulous movie, with Roman at her best.   It's also one of the few times that Cochran plays a sympathetic character, which also makes it worth watching just for that alone.

BTW I used to confuse Cochran with Brad Dexter, even though they don't really look all that much alike.  Has Dexter ever played a good guy in any movie?  He always seems the embodiment of pure evil.

Dexter has a fuller face...but they both have those mischievous twinkling eyes. 

Topbilled's latest pick:

screen-shot-2015-06-13-at-8-56-58-am.png

imgres14.jpg

Reason to watch: One of several collaborations with Burt Lancaster & Kirk Douglas. (Burt is Wyatt Earp and Kirk is Doc Holliday.) Also, the film has Frankie Laine's infectious title song playing throughout key points in the narrative.

sssteve4.jpg?w=243&h=3004603-924.jpg

Blech, really? 

Did you see the chest on Cochran? Phew.

Topbilled's latest pick:

screen-shot-2015-06-13-at-8-56-58-am.png

imgres14.jpg

Reason to watch: One of several collaborations with Burt Lancaster & Kirk Douglas. (Burt is Wyatt Earp and Kirk is Doc Holliday.) Also, the film has Frankie Laine's infectious title song playing throughout key points in the narrative.

which is better? Gunfight at the O.K. Corral or Hour of the Gun? surely James Garner is more solemn as Earp than Lancaster. :)

Dexter didn't play a bad character in The Magnificent Seven.     He was greedy for gold,  but he did risk his life to help his friends.