Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

TopBilled's latest pick

Topbilled's pick for tomorrow:

imgres-11.jpg

Where: TCM.

Last aired: May 2014.

Reason to watch: Jacques Tourneur excelled in the western format. Please don't miss this one, folks.

imgres2.jpg

images3.jpg

Where: TCM.

Last aired: May 2013.

Reason to watch: The great Anna Magnani. Is there any other reason?

imgres-3.jpg

images3.jpg

imgres-3.jpg

Joanne Woodward?  :)

I always kinda liked this film.  A friend of mine saw it as...."Brando does BEN QUICK",  as both Newman and Brando wind up working in some kind of old Southern Merchantile store run by a domineering lout( Welles in one case, Jory in this one).

But, I'll try to catch it.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Joanne Woodward?  :)

I always kinda liked this film.  A friend of mine saw it as...."Brando does BEN QUICK",  as both Newman and Brando wind up working in some kind of old Southern Merchantile store run by a domineering lout( Welles in one case, Jory in this one).

But, I'll try to catch it.

Sepiatone

I have to admit this film is kind of a guilty pleasure for me. I believe FredCDobbs is also a fan of it, as he's talked about it in other threads.

images3.jpg

imgres-3.jpg

Anna.Magnani is magnificent again in another role.specifically written for her by Tennessee Williams. And Brando gets to play another sexy, mercenary Williams character. The weakest of the leads is Joanne Woodward, playing a kookier than usual character, but one deeply troubled. I wouldn't call it a guilty pleasure, as I am guilt free about the pleasure I get when I watch it.

Anna.Magnani is magnificent again in another role.specifically written for her by Tennessee Williams. And Brando gets to play another sexy, mercenary Williams character. The weakest of the leads is Joanne Woodward, playing a kookier than usual character, but one deeply troubled. I wouldn't call it a guilty pleasure, as I am guilt free about the pleasure I get when I watch it.

I sort of agree about Woodward. My first instinct is to say she's miscast, but I get that she was trying to vary her film roles-- yet I still don't think has a handle on the character. 

As for Magnani, I can't decide if I favor her in this role or THE ROSE TATTOO. Like always she's riveting to watch on screen.

I do feel a bit of guilt enjoying this film, because it plays like southern gothic trash (the way most Williams' stories come across). 

fonda-klute.jpg

Last aired: February 2015.

Reason to watch: Jane Fonda's performance. Check out Pauline Kael's comments:

Jane Fonda in possibly her finest dramatic performance, as Bree, an intelligent, high-bracket call girl, in Alan J. Pakula's murder melodrama. The life surrounding Bree's profession frightens her, but the work itself has particular compensations. She enjoys her power over her customers-- she's maternal and provocative with them, confident and contemptuously cool. And Fonda is very exciting to watch: the closest close-up never reveals a false thought and, seen on the movie streets a block away, she's Bree not Jane Fonda walking towards us.

screen-shot-2015-04-03-at-1-16-54-pm.png

fonda-klute.jpg

Last aired: February 2015.

Reason to watch: Jane Fonda's performance. Check out Pauline Kael's comments:

Jane Fonda in possibly her finest dramatic performance, as Bree, an intelligent, high-bracket call girl, in Alan J. Pakula's murder melodrama. The life surrounding Bree's profession frightens her, but the work itself has particular compensations. She enjoys her power over her customers-- she's maternal and provocative with them, confident and contemptuously cool. And Fonda is very exciting to watch: the closest close-up never reveals a false thought and, seen on the movie streets a block away, she's Bree not Jane Fonda walking towards us.

screen-shot-2015-04-03-at-1-16-54-pm.png

I'm surprised you're recommending KLUTE, TopBilled.

Pauline Kael's comments aside, I recall you posted that you were not impressed with it after seeing it for the first time on TCM.

I'm surprised you're recommending KLUTE, TopBilled.

Pauline Kael's comments aside, I recall you posted that you were not impressed with it after seeing it for the first time on TCM.

You could say I changed my mind a bit about KLUTE. And I think we are all entitled to change our minds from time to time, don't you...?

:)

holiday_inn_poster.jpg

Last aired: February 2005.

Reason to watch: It hasn't been seen on TCM in over a decade.

I love Holiday Inn! For some reason, I always associate it as being a Christmas movie, even though I know that an entire year's worth of holidays are recognized.  I loved the pairing of Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby.  Astaire's dancing combined with Crosby's singing is what makes this film-- this and Irving Berlin's great music.

My favorite number in this film is the one that Astaire performs for Washington's Birthday.  Crosby, upset with Astaire for taking his girl and taking over performing at his inn and conducting the orchestra, purposely keeps changing the style and tempo of the music.  Astaire manically adjusts his dancing to keep up with the style and pace.  It was amazing to see him move from a waltz to a tango to a minuet to jazz, etc.  

I also love Fred Astaire's firecracker dance that he did for the 4th of July routine.  

I remember I first saw this film on some random channel on satellite.  They edited out the controversial Lincoln's Birthday number.  Unfortunately, the editing was done poorly and it was very obvious that footage had been cut.  It was very apparent that something was missing, even to someone like me, who hadn't seen the film before.  I wanted to know why this footage was cut and found out it was due to a blackface routine.  I actually went out and bought the film just because I wanted to see the film in it's entirety and how it was originally intended.

• Like 1

I love Holiday Inn! For some reason, I always associate it as being a Christmas movie, even though I know that an entire year's worth of holidays are recognized.  I loved the pairing of Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby.  Astaire's dancing combined with Crosby's singing is what makes this film-- this and Irving Berlin's great music.

My favorite number in this film is the one that Astaire performs for Washington's Birthday.  Crosby, upset with Astaire for taking his girl and taking over performing at his inn and conducting the orchestra, purposely keeps changing the style and tempo of the music.  Astaire manically adjusts his dancing to keep up with the style and pace.  It was amazing to see him move from a waltz to a tango to a minuet to jazz, etc.  

I also love Fred Astaire's firecracker dance that he did for the 4th of July routine.  

I remember I first saw this film on some random channel on satellite.  They edited out the controversial Lincoln's Birthday number.  Unfortunately, the editing was done poorly and it was very obvious that footage had been cut.  It was very apparent that something was missing, even to someone like me, who hadn't seen the film before.  I wanted to know why this footage was cut and found out it was due to a blackface routine.  I actually went out and bought the film just because I wanted to see the film in it's entirety and how it was originally intended.

You're right-- it's a film that could easily be shown all year round. 

Crosby and Astaire also made BLUE SKIES, which has the advantage of being in Technicolor.

• Like 1

You're right-- it's a film that could easily be shown all year round. 

Crosby and Astaire also made BLUE SKIES, which has the advantage of being in Technicolor.

I haven't seen Blue Skies.  Hopefully TCM will schedule it in the near future.

What I love about Holiday Inn are all the musical numbers.  After all, they're pretty much the point of the film.  Some of them I like more than others, but I love how each number is unique to the holiday represented and how different they are from one another.  A concept of a film with a musical number for each holiday could easily become tedious and it would be easy for the filmmakers to start becoming somewhat lackadaisical in staging and creating these musical numbers, but they didn't.  Each subsequent number is just as good as the one that preceded it. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen Blue Skies.  Hopefully TCM will schedule it in the near future.

What I love about Holiday Inn are all the musical numbers.  After all, they're pretty much the point of the film.  Some of them I like more than others, but I love how each number is unique to the holiday represented and how different they are from one another.  A concept of a film with a musical number for each holiday could easily become tedious and it would be easy for the filmmakers to start becoming somewhat lackadaisical in staging and creating these musical numbers, but they didn't.  Each subsequent number is just as good as the one that preceded it. 

I agree-- it just hums along and doesn't drop off. 

I am glad we're discussing this film now. Someone will probably make a separate thread about HOLIDAY INN tomorrow when it airs-- but we're giving folks a bit of a sneak preview here!

• Like 1

screen-shot-2015-04-05-at-9-02-16-am.png

Last aired: April 2012.

Reason to watch: Fun with Bob and Jane.

images6.jpg

ah, but still no sign of Son of Paleface (1952) which is a far superior sequel and co-stars Roy Rogers (A-listing for once) and a sleepy-headed Trigger. sad to say this is a post 1950 Paramount movie that may be more difficult to obtain for broadcast.

and here's a story about Holiday Inn which airs today. as Bing Crosby was preparing for the Inn production he scheduled a meeting with Irving Berlin to familiarize himself with the new Berlin songs. at the meeting, Berlin handed Crosby the sheet music for White Christmas and they did a run-through. when the run-through was done, Crosby turned to Berlin and said "Irving, I think you have a good one there." now there's one of the great understatements of all time!

• Like 1

ah, but still no sign of Son of Paleface (1952) which is a far superior sequel and co-stars Roy Rogers (A-listing for once) and a sleepy-headed Trigger. sad to say this is a post 1950 Paramount movie that may be more difficult to obtain for broadcast.

Glad you mentioned that, because I was also wondering why the sequel never turns up on TCM. I'd like to see it. 

ah, but still no sign of Son of Paleface (1952) which is a far superior sequel

TCM has shown both THE PALEFACE and SON OF PALEFACE before.

ah, but still no sign of Son of Paleface (1952) which is a far superior sequel

TCM has shown both THE PALEFACE and SON OF PALEFACE before.

Using MovieCollector's information, THE PALEFACE (1922) starring Buster Keaton has aired three times. THE PALEFACE (1948) starring Bob Hope has aired twelve times.

But SON OF PALEFACE has never aired on TCM.

220px-thechargeofthelightbrigade1936.jpg

Last aired: August 2014.

Reason to watch: Because I say so.

220px-thechargeofthelightbrigade1936.jpg

Last aired: August 2014.

Reason to watch: Because I say so.

I'm a fan of this movie but it was wrong for so many horses to die making this movie.   Filmed at Long Pine CA in a valley I go to at least once or twice a year.       Also,  it is one of the few Errol \ Olivia movies were they don't end up as a couple (Four's A Crowd being the other and in both cases Olivia ends up with Patrick Knowles). 

• Like 1

I'm a fan of this movie but it was wrong for so many horses to die making this movie.   Filmed at Long Pine CA in a valley I go to at least once or twice a year.       Also,  it is one of the few Errol \ Olivia movies were they don't end up as a couple (Four's A Crowd being the other and in both cases Olivia ends up with Patrick Knowles). 

And you know, it's not a bad thing that she winds up with Patric Knowles in some of these pictures!

Charge is a terrific big budget action adventure film, one of the best of its type, highlighted by the canon blasting, earth pounding charge climax, as directed by Michael Curtiz and second unit man B. Reeves (Breezy) Eason.

However, the use of the "running W" wire that lead to the destruction of so many horses on this production is an infamous disgrace, making this film something of a poster film of its time for the movies' inhuman treatment of animals.

And, story-wise, nobody would believe that Olivia de Havilland would pick Patric Knowles over Errol Flynn.

• Like 1

Charge is a terrific big budget action adventure film, one of the best of its type, highlighted by the canon blasting, earth pounding charge climax, as directed by Michael Curtiz and second unit man B. Reeves (Breezy) Eason.

However, the use of the "running W" wire that lead to the destruction of so many horses on this production is an infamous disgrace, making this film something of a poster film of its time for the movies' inhuman treatment of animals.

And, story-wise, nobody would believe that Olivia de Havilland would pick Patric Knowles over Errol Flynn.

I have a hard time thinking every woman or every gay man would want Flynn.