Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do you know the name of this gangster movie

This is a hard one. I remember what I believe was a 1950's black and white gangster movie where the end has somebody running away from another person chasing and shooting at him on a mountainside stream. The stream sequence ends with the gangster slipping off the side of a cliff which is a waterfall though you only see water running over the side. In the background is lake tahoe and what I know is emerald bay. Reason I know this is that I recognized the area since I hiked there a couple of times. That is the main reason I wanted to find out the name of this picture. The bad guy is a richard widmark type of nut and the good guy is like a farley granger type.Movie could be in color but I dont think so. This is driving me nuts since I watch a lot of these movies to see which one it is but have not yet discovered it. I believe the guy being chased had a briefcase with something valuable though I might be mixing this up with another movie and I believe he was forced in stealing something or being with some gang. thanks steve

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for responding. I saw this yesterday on stagevu and it looked at the beginning that it just had to be the picture I was looking for but it turned out that it wasnt. But this was a very good possibility.

You couldn't mean *Out of the Past* ? I know this one seems really obvious, and you probably are already familiar with this famous movie, but it does have a bad guy falling off a cliff into a stream near the end, and Kirk Douglas' bad guy energy is similar to Widmark's in this film.

Based on the description it doesn't sound like Out of The Past at all. In that scene no one is running around and the only shot fired is after the bad guy is pulled by the fishing line and hook. While the bad guy could be viewed as a Richard Widmark type, no one would say Robert Mitchum and Farley Granger are alike.