Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TerryEllsworth

Thief of Bagdad: started early??

Is it my imagination or did they start the film early? It's listed in my guide to start at 10:30 pm and I turned on TCM at 10:28 pm and it certainly appeared that the film was already playing even though my onscreen guide said some short was supposed to be on.

Huh? I guess I'll have to wait until it comes on again.

Best,

Terry

They had some windbag blabbing about arabs. Since we are at war with 3 arab countries, its particularly inapt to talk about brotherhood. Maybe when we take our boots off their necks & stop torturing them we can bring the jerk back.

Yeah, I mentioned that in the thread on THE SEA HAWK.

The program started at 10:20PM. They never ran the short HIGH SPOTS OF THE FAR EAST that was listed to air between this and the last movie.

Last night (actually this morning), DUCK SOUP was supposed to start at 215AM but it started at 230AM. They must have the interns making the schedules now.

Yes, this is one hell of a screw up. Not typical of TCM. Now we have to wait at least 3 months to see the film complete. I wonder if anyone's head will roll at TCM.

I hope the schedule gets "back on track" after *Thief*. If the premiere showing of *The Sheik* starts unexpectedly early, I don't think there is any explanation that could excuse these SNAFUs.

I am so glad I had the channel running earlier so I didn't miss any of Fairbanks. I've waited a loooong time to see this.

Kyle In Hollywood

I am so glad I had the channel running earlier so I didn't miss any of Fairbanks. I've waited a loooong time to see this.

Maybe it's a new way of making sure that you stay tuned in to TCM.

>The program started at 10:20PM. They never ran the short HIGH SPOTS OF THE FAR EAST that was listed to air between this and the last movie.

Yes, they skipped the 10 minute short and they started the film 10 minutes early.

Anna May Wong is beautiful! She was so good in silent films.

The princess does nothing for me, but Anna May Wong sends out all the right signals.

Ya know, I had it all planned. I was going to post a thread titled "We're 25 minutes into THIEF OF BAGDAD..." with the text reading "Yet we're actually 35 minutes into it."

Most of you sound quite tolerant of TCM's error. I know there's nothing that can be done about it now, but I am a bit peeved.

My humor masks my annoyance. I have no recording facilities, so I've long been used to making sure that I'm there when something starts.

This kind of thing actually does annoy me more than most as I've been in the business and I ran a New York City station for two years. We never had a problem such as this, we never got the wrong print on the air and that was all because we had safeguards.

It is a different era now, everything is digital but it's not as if there aren't ways of keeping such mistakes to a minimum. As the biz gets more computerized, the thing that is forgotten is that errors are still likely to be made by humans. There has to be accountability, things have to be double-checked.

This is why I usually have TCM playing live even when a DVR recording is set. If something comes on early, I can rewind the live feed and then manually start recording.

With these rare showings, you have to monitor the broadcasts more closely.

The other film channels have east coast and west coast schedules. It helps if something goes wrong with the east coast feed, then at least there's a second chance to get it on the west coast transmission.

I'm annoyed. I printed the schedule new just a couple of days ago and was relying on it -- and of course it's still listed in the online schedule as starting at 10:30, not 10:18 or 10:20. I got home from a workout and turned on the TV at 10:29 thinking I was just in time and thought, "Dang!"

Maybe the pre- and post-film discussions went long, but surely those were taped some weeks ago. It makes no sense that the online schedule as of five days ago couldn't be correct.

Dang!

Edited by: NewYorkGuy on Jul 5, 2011 11:52 PM

I think we are about 25 minutes past when this film should have ended.

I haven't seen this in about 35 years. My recollection was that it took a while to get started. It was longer than I thought. They spent too much time on the set-up and now he's knocking off monsters in ten seconds. There are very few thrills other than the sets.

I think you are absolutely right. The sets are the main attraction in this movie. I'll take Sabu and the 1940 version any time. Now I am less upset about the early start of this film. Just don't mess up on Ace Drummond, The Constant Nymph and The Story of Temple Drake.

I found out about DUCK SOUP when I didn't watch THIEF OF BAGDAD. It was on my DVR and there was no ending. Far too much Conan O'Brien -- and wasn't he the worst guest programmer ever? -- and so the schedule kept sliding.

I usually time my DVR for 5 minutes over but that didn't cover the ending of DUCK SOUP. Oh, well, I guess I have to really look at my DVR timings although I often tape 3 or 4 things at a time.

Do wish they'd get these timings right ....

Best,

Terry

Another member to IGNORE. That makes two since I joined this site. This kind of comment is not called for on a site that it is about discussing films and filmmakers.

Regards,

Terry Ellsworth

I tend to save getting really upset over injustices, death, cancer, bad financial problems. I become quite "tolerant" when all it is is my missing a film -- even though I wanted to see it very much. In the scheme of things, it's just no big deal.

But I do wish I had seen it and had DUCK SOUP recorded.

Best,

Terry

I came here to make a post about this but I guess I already found my answer. :(

I recorded it because I couldn't watch it last night and actually padded it a few minutes early. Checked my recording this morning and noticed not only did it not start at the introduction (which I expected) the film was well underway. Pretty upsetting.

It's on Instant Netflix so I can see what I missed but I was hoping to keep this recording and now there is no point since I missed the beginning. I also recorded the Sheik with it as one straight recording so I won't be able to keep that either now (sigh).

Hopefully TCM reruns both sometime soon!

About the film itself ( as opposed to the time mix-up) : While I agree that there was too much hanging about the palace in the early part of the movie, and the film seemed to be oddly paced (of course pacing in films was different back then ), I did very much enjoy the look of this version of *The Thief of Bagdad* .

The sets, as some have observed, were splendid, especially when you consider the film was made in 1921. I loved the huge door leading to the wise man's place - it reminded me of Star Trek, with the way it mysteriously opened and closed.

Also - no one's mentioned the special effects, which I thought were fantastic for any era. I enjoyed the monsters much more than any CG creatures we have in film today. Much of the point, the atmosphere, of *The Thief of Bagdad*, is about magic, and I felt that this magical, almost dream-like quality, was captured beautifully in this film.

(p.s. L I want to spell "Bagdad" with an "h" after the "g", but this appears to be the way you spell it.)

Or "The Thief of Old Bags", a little know film starring Bette Davis and Joan Crawford. (sponsored by Givenchy).