Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

Please fix the Time Zone changer on the Schedule Page.

The time zone changer hasn't worked for weeks. Could you please fix it so it will show time zones other than Eastern Time?

Be careful what you ask for, Fred!!

I mentioned quite some time ago that only the Eastern time zone was available in the monthly schedule. Well finally, the blokes have finally responded to this valid complaint. But hold on there; when one thing is fixed, another must inevitably be unfixed.

Now the new font size is so small that you probably will be unable to read it without using a magnifying glass! At the same time, the wasted space has increased drastically, so we now have a small printed section, in miniscule fonts, in a desert of wasted white space. These fellows sure know how to trade screwups, don't they?

So which do want Fred? You can have either the schedule in readable fonts and a reasonable size block for the printed portion, or you can have a readable font size restricted to a schedule for the Eastern time zone only.

Name your poison, Fred. Be sure to drink it and pass it around so that we can all be put out of our never-ending TCM misery. They have certainly lived up to every expectation here. What are they going to think of ("think" is a poor word to use here) next?

Jeremy

(and I thought that I had seen everything by now)

It appears to me that those who just cannot seem to get this schedule format worked out are postponing the "solution" indefinitely in order to protect their jobs! If they got everything fixed, they would probably be about of work. So it makes sense (at least to them) that they can fix one problem if they create another problem which, like this one of an improper choice of fonts, will serve to buy them some more time.

The way that things are going here, it looks as though it may take another two months or to get back to where they were with the June schedule, insofar as font size is concerned. Then, in two more months, when the fonts get back to normal, these "blokes" (as you Brits call them) can find something else to mess up for another two months, etc.

There is no end of things that can be disarranged to keep the schedule format fires burning. When Christmas time rolls around, they can take these problems with them on the great TCM cruise--but then not work on them, of course.

Merry Christmas, blokes!

Gerald

7:00am Sunday

I just checked the monthly schedule page and the links to the various other timezones worked and displayed the schedule with the appropriate times. (But I know they were inoperable before.)

Plus, the link to the monthly Canadian version of the page worked also.

But I don't understand the "font size" issue. Is this a problem on the "Monthly Schedule" page or on the "Daily Schedule" pages?

Kyle In Hollywood

Perhaps it is a browser issue? I am using Firefox and haven't had a problem with the time zones since they fixed it weeks ago.

I also don't have a problem with the font size on either the daily schedule or the monthly schedule.

7:00am Sunday

I just checked the monthly schedule page and the links to the various other timezones worked and displayed the schedule with the appropriate times. (But I know they were inoperable before.)

Plus, the link to the monthly Canadian version of the page worked also.

But I don't understand the "font size" issue. Is this a problem on the "Monthly Schedule" page or on the "Daily Schedule" pages?

Kyle In Hollywood

=====================================================================

Kyle:

The font size problem is with the *printing* of the July Monthly Schedule. It does not show up when viewing this schedule on the computer screen. In the June Monthly Schedule, the font sizes appear to be 10 point for the movie descriptions and 8 point for the remaining data: times, casting, etc. These font sizes are reasonable and readable, even though they are smaller than the font sizes used before the "upgrades" were first introduced. At that time, the font size for the one line movie description was 12 point.

In the latest font size shrinkage in the July Monthly Schedule, the font size for the movie description appears to be 8 point, while the font size for the remaining items now appears to be 6 points (or less).

These June and July schedules were printed on the same printer. Note that the font size is fixed by the designers of the schedule format (pdf) and cannot be changed at the printout. What *can* be changed are the page margins. Playing with the margins changes the number of pages required for printout. The schedule which I have printed out requires 28 pages after my particular margin adjustments.

This shrunken-font schedule has a somehat larger area of unprinted paper than did the June schedule. Not only is the appearance of the page unbalanced, but the small printed font sizes have a readability problem, which can be particularly accute for elderly persons, who comprise a fairly large percentage of those printing out the monthly schedule. I expect that we will be hearing from them shortly about this latest and continued alteration of the schedule format pdf. I can see no reason why the font sizes should be decreased, simply in order to have the schedule available in all time zones!!

Have *you* printed out the July Monthly Schedule? I cannot believe that I am the only one with this new (and serious) shrunken-font problem.

Jeremy

>Perhaps it is a browser issue?

No, it is not a "browser" issue. My browser works fine on all other message boards I've ever been on. The programmers don't seem to know how to make a schedule page compatible with all major browsers.

THIS JUST IN:

Ok, so I clicked on the full Monthly schedule, and I was able to change that to Mountain Time.

Then later, when I went back to the daily Schedule page, I discovered that the time zone had been reset to Mountain Time.

So, apprently, changing it to Mountain Time on the full month schdule, also changed it to Mountain Time on the daily schedule.

This suggests that to get the cookie to switch to our own time zones, we must do that on the full Monthly schedule page.

Those of you who can't change the time zone on the daily schedule might try this method to change it on both the monthly and daily schedules.

iz cutter says:

"I also don't have a problem with the font size on either the daily schedule or the monthly schedule."

=============================================================

Are you aware that any "problem" with the font size (i.e., a different size, from one schedule to another) does *not* show up when viewing the (monthly) schedule on the computer screen? However, a difference in font size does show up when printing out the schedule, since the design of the pdf page used to print the document contains the font information, and can only be changed using an application such as Adobe Acrobat. That is, when the schedule is printed out, it is going to print the fonts at the sizes that are used in the pdf page design; nothing that the user can do (short of changing the page design with an appropriate application) will change this.

When I printed the June monthly schedule, I go a movie one line description in 10 point and the remaining data for that movie in 8 point, as far as I could tell. But in the July monthly schedule which I have just printed out after the time zones were repaired, these same font sizes appear to be 8 point and 6 point (if not even smaller). In other words, the pdf page designer has shrunk the font sizes between the June and July monthly schedules, for no apparent reason!

So my *key* question to you, iz cutter, is: "Have you printed out both the June and July monthly schedules (or a portion thereof) and compared the font sizes in these two printouts?" This is the only way that you can prove whether or not there is a "problem" with what these schedule designers (this may be too generous a word to use) have done and are doing continually.

Please post your response to my key question. Thank you.

Jeremy

Fred Dobbs says:

"THIS JUST IN:

Ok, so I clicked on the full Monthly schedule, and I was able to change that to Mountain Time.

Then later, when I went back to the daily Schedule page, I discovered that the time zone had been reset to Mountain Time.

So, apprently, changing it to Mountain Time on the full month schdule, also changed it to Mountain Time on the daily schedule.

This suggests that to get the cookie to switch to our own time zones, we must do that on the full Monthly schedule page.

Those of you who can't change the time zone on the daily schedule might try this method to change it on both the monthly and daily schedules."

==================================================================

I do not see why it is so important to preserve (by a cookie saved during one's visit to the TCM web site) a particular time zone from session to session spent at this site, when a single click on the time zone icon in the daily schedule will change the schedule to this time zone.

Let me make sure that I understand what you are saying, Fred. Are you saying that there are those who visit this web site (without regard to any possible previous visits) who cannot make this simple click on the daily schedule time zone to change it to something other than the Eastern time zone, and that these disadvantaged souls might find it desirable to go through your just-discovered manipulations in order to lock in their own time zone to protect themselves against this defect in some future visit?

Perhaps this is what you mean, but it sounds a bit far-fetched to me. Would you care to set me straight on my thinking here? Thank you.

Jeremy

>Let me make sure that I understand what you are saying, Fred. Are you saying that there are those who visit this web site (without regard to any possible previous visits) who cannot make this simple click on the daily schedule time zone to change it to something other than the Eastern time zone, and that these disadvantaged souls might find it desirable to go through your just-discovered manipulations in order to lock in their own time zone to protect themselves against this defect in some future visit?

Yes, that is correct.

Previously, the monthly time zone cookie and the daily time zone cookie were independent of one another. But now, for IE, there seems to be only one cookie, available on the monthly schedule, which also automatically sets the daily schedule. :)

But these things change every time they "upgrade" the board. As someone else said recently, every time they fix something, that causes something else to break.

> Please post your response to my key question. Thank you.

Jeremy,

I was able to change the time zone and print out the schedule with no problem. The type is not too small and is very legible. I used the print button on the monthly schedule and printed directly from there.

I am using Firefox on both a Mac and PC and haven't had any problem with the time zone changer or printing of the schedule for the last few weeks.

Izcutter says:

"Jeremy,

I was able to change the time zone and print out the schedule with no problem. The type is not too small and is very legible. I used the print button on the monthly schedule and printed directly from there.

I am using Firefox on both a Mac and PC and haven't had any problem with the time zone changer or printing of the schedule for the last few weeks."

==============================================================

Thank you for your response to my post. Unfortunately, however, it does not answer the "key" question which I asked, which is: "Are the font sizes for the monthly schedules of June and July the same when these schedules are printed out?" I worded the question this way specifically to find out whether or not your font sizes for the July printout are the same as your font sizes for the July printout. The font sizes which I get when I print out the July schedule are smaller than those that I get when I print out the June schedule. I still do not know, from your answer, whether you are getting the same result.

Yes indeed, I was also able to print out the schedule and change the time zone (I use Internet Explorer) with no "problem", *IF* a shrinking font size (which is *now* too small for good readability) is not regarded as a problem. Perhaps you do not regard this a problem whilst I do, since there is no justifiable reason that the font sizes for *my* monthly schedule printouts for June and July are not the same!! This is of course must also be true for you. But I will not know this until you provide a direct answer my question.

This is not an irrelevant question, and I would surely appreciate a straightforward answer to it. I cannot understand your reticence with this issue, unless your result agrees with mine and you do not wish to reveal this fact. Hopefully you can answer my question with very little effort by printing out the same page from *both monthly schedules* and comparing them, side by side, without needing to determine the point sizes for the fonts. This is what I am looking for. If there is any reason that you cannot do this, please say so. Thank you.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

The font sizes are not a problem for me. The June schedule font size and the July font size are the same size and both are very legible even for my mid-century modern eyes.

Sorry.

Hi,

My IE lets me look at a PRINT PREVIEW function, and I can change the typesize of the full month schedule with that. At 100% the type is large and takes up 34 pages.

The natural setup is for 90% at 31 pages.

A small size would be 70% at 24 pages.

To print the text the full width of the page would be 125% at 43 pages.

Seems to me the text on the schedule should be stretched out right and left to the full width of a printed page but with a smaller type size.