Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Movie Titles-AKA

I went to college with a very high number of guys from the top prep schools, and Groton is far down the pecking order. The MOST prestigious were actually St. Paul's and St. Mark's.

Edited by: finance on Mar 26, 2013 9:34 AM

I didn't say Groton was the most prestigious -- although it certainly is in the top few. I equated it with Eton, which in England is actually one of many schools considered top -- with Winchester, Harrow, etc. Like Eton, Groton has one of the most impressive list of alumni, particularly in public service, as well as other old Yankees -- Roosevelts, from TR's son and brother to FDR and his son; Sumner Wells, the Payne Whitney family; Hugh, James, and Louis Auchincloss, Newbold Morris, McGeorge Bundy, Francis Biddle, Dean Acheson, C. Douglas Dillon, etc.

My assigned roommate freshman year was from Phillips Exeter, and I learned a lot more about preppydom than I really wanted to know. My college may have had the greatest % of preppies of any college.

Edited by: finance on Mar 26, 2013 5:33 PM

One of my ex boyfriends was an Exeter alum . . . who then went to a military college . . . only to become a civil engineer. . . who volunteers as a river cop. All work and no play = boring boy. BTW, he'd never wear a new shirt (bought his used from Goodwill) and never a starched one, and would never wear a suit of any kind. He said his prep school days put him off formal wear for life.

From your list of alumni, it looks as if Groton had close ties with Yale. My college was a rival of Yale's. Maybe that's why we didn't have too many Groton alumni....I recall that there were 40-50 Phillips Exeter alumni in my freshman class.

Edited by: finance on Mar 26, 2013 6:18 PM

BTW, lavender's clue is still...

>next:

>Babe Paley and Jackie O, lunching at noon

Lavendar, I think we need another clue. I was (in jest) going to guess TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH, if the ladies were drinking, that is! I've gone through every socialite title I can think of!

I remember when rich, uppercrust socialite type woman would meet for lunch, so I used a little license with Babe and Jackie. *When Ladies Meet* is the film. Good work, your thread.

Correct, Tom. The film where Ida Lupino speaks the immortal lines, "I'm not afraid of dying. I just don't want to be eaten by giant rats!"

-introducing the 1999 greatest North American athlete of the 20th century by ESPN....