Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
judy62

Robert is soooo loved and appreciated!

The announcement about Robert having minor surgery and his post-vacation hit me as soon as I got home from work on FaceBook. By the time I saw the post, it was already 11 minutes old. Not the least bit surprised, I noticed around 180 FaceBook comments (in that short 11 minutes).

I immediatetly posted as well. In reading much of the posts and comments, I felt kinda strange. I mean, Robert Osborn belongs to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! LOL. Seriously, the thoughts of love, prayers, the well-wishes are pouring out! This man is not only respected in his field, but by fans and people ALL over the world. His genuine love of the movies and his knowledge is second to NONE.

Although I am going to miss Robert during his absence, I wish him a quick recovery and much deserved vacation and rest.

I would just like all of us fans to take a moment and think about all this wonderful man has done, what he means to TCM and film history in general. He brings all this and more every night. To me, he's become a host that I am sure I would miss more than any personality on TV today. I live to listen to his thoughts and tid-bits about the movies, actors, and have learned more about directors than I ever thought I'd care to learn.

I hope that TCM will take all the wonderful comments from FaceBook and the Forum community here on the site and show Robert just how much he is appreciated and loved.

Until you return, our dear Robert!

Much love to you,

Judy

What's this? Is somebody else going to do intros and outros? I understand that nobody else ever has done a prime time intro or outro in all the years that TCM has existed.

> What's this? Is somebody else going to do intros and outros? I understand that nobody else ever has done a prime time intro or outro in all the years that TCM has existed.

finance,

The announcement is not only on Facebook (according to the OP) but also on the Announcements page on the Main Page of the Message Boards as well as the Home Page of the website:

http://forums.tcm.com/ann.jspa?annID=51

"Beginning today, Robert Osborne plans to take a short break from his TCM hosting duties for minor surgery, followed by a vacation. Osborne, who recently signed a multi-year agreement with TCM, plans to return to the network in three months and will also attend the first TCM Classic Cruise in December. He will continue to appear on TCM as part of several features, including the Guest Programmer series, The Essentials and Race & Hollywood: Arab Images on Film. Many of Osborne's hosting duties will be handled on a temporary basis by a number of special guests and friends of the network, including Robert Wagner (week of July 11), Jane Powell (week of July 18) and Tippi Hedren (week of July 25). Other guest hosts will be announced in the coming weeks."

Edited by: lzcutter for clarification

LOL. Yes "Izcutter", I know the announcement is elsewhere, I mentioned FB cuz that's where I first saw it.

Judy,

No problem. I was posting because finance was not aware that the announcement was posted not only on Facebook but here at the TCM website as well as the announcement page of these forums.

I would like to say I was "amazed" at the comments and responses I first saw on FB about Robert...but the fact is, what amazed me wasn't the amount of comments in the short 11 minutes, it was the pouring in of so many well wishes and genuine love that fans have for Robert. I imagine we'll see many, many, many more examples of people and fans from all over that make Robert a part of their day!

I love the Essentials with Mr. Baldwin...(wish the discussion segments were longer!) and I love Ben. I hope that we can see more of them while Robert is away!

Well, at least we know Robert will be back...so that's good.

I think Shirley Jones would be a good choice as a temporary replacement for one of these weeks.

SAD NEWS. I hope nothing is seriously wrong with him. He'll be missed, that's for sure. Will be odd seeing someone doing the intros.......Will the Essentials be back on in the fall does anyone know?

Yes - from the announcement it looks like The Essentials will return in the Fall.

Robert, you've always been the face and voice of TCM to me. I will miss seeing you for awhile, but please look after yourself and know your fans are here and waiting for your return! We love you!

regarding The Essentials (as if i actually know something, which i don't), the schedule was announced late last winter, and showed original programming for about 6 months or so followed by rebroadcasts of those shows. that brought the schedule up to April 2012. since today's (July 11) announcement makes no mention of any interruption in The Essentials format (Osborne & Baldwin), and a continued flow of shows, i presume all the intros/exit portions have already been recorded, and the schedule as previously announced will be shown in full with no change in the routine we're accustomed to.

the news of Robert Osborne's absence is heartfelt by me and (judging from comments at numerous sources) his many admirerers. my best to you Robert, and a speedy recovery and return to action will be eagerly awaited.

Hibi & Baker -

From the announcement posted here - http://forums.tcm.com/ann.jspa?annID=51 - RO will still be seen on TCM during this break from his hosting duties. Primarily it will be the intros, etc. that were already recorded long in advance.

All the materials for this season of "The Essentials" have been recorded and will continue to be seen every Saturday night. (Soon, the series begins (mostly) repeats until the end of the year.)

All the intros with RO and Professor Shaheen for the Race In Hollywood series have been recorded and will be seen on Tuesday and Thursday nights.

Plus RO should "appear" with the Guest Programmer for September which was probably already recorded long before this break.

So, while RO won't be seen every evening as we've become accustomed, every so often his presence will be seen on the channel over the next three months until he returns to his full-time hosting duties.

Kyle In Hollywood

I wish him all the best and hope for a speedy recovery along with some well deserved rest. Love you Mr. Osborne.

*Robert*, I hope you have a speedy recovery and a wonderful vacation. I'll miss your Primetime Intros but am glad some TCM friends have stepped up in your absence. Best wishes!

I'm sure the thoughts and prayers of all loyal Robert Osborne fans and viewers are with him at this time. He's one of the all-time class acts of Hollywood. I hope he knows how loved and respected he truly is.

Best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery!

Terry

We love you BOB! Get well soon, and return to us. Prayers for a swift recovery.

Take care, Mr. O. Get your rest after the surgery and we'll be there when you return. You are TCM to us.

I hope he's recovering nicely and watching some of his favorite movies! That's what I do when I recovering. Will he post pics of his vacation? Whenever my LA friends would go on vacation, they always say, "up the coast."

I hope there will be updates. I hate to hear nothing!

Get Well Soon, Robert. You will be soo missed!

I've been lurking for years and my first post is to wish Robert Osborne Best Wishes, Get Well Soon and We'll Miss You!!!

Godspeed to you, Mr. Osborne! May you have a quick, comfortable and speedy recovery. Please hurry back. You are TCM and it will not be the same without you. We all love you. :)

I first learned about Uncle Bob's planned absence on one of those

large highway message signs on I-26. Fortunately, the shock of the news

led to only a few fender benders and nothing more serious. As Sammy boy

might have put it: I can't go on. I'll go on.

Robert Wagner huh? Hope he doesn't try to work a reverse mortgage

pitch into one of the introductions.

If you're like he is, you'll want to know everything there is to know about a film, before you watch it! ;)