Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
hlywdkjk

[b]Robert Osborne's Absence Thread[/b]

It was announced today that Robert Osborne has taken a temporary break from his hosting duties after having minor surgery. TCM's announcement about this development can be read here -

http://forums.tcm.com/ann.jspa?annID=51

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread set aside for those coming to the Forums who are wondering "What Happened To Robert Osborne?" or "Why Is Robert Wagner On TCM?"

Beginning tonight (July 11th), there will be a series of Guest Hosts filling in for Robert on a weekly basis. Other "Friends of TCM" acting as Guest Hosts during July include Jane Powell and Tippi Hendren.

While Mr. Osborne won't be introducing films seven nights a week for a few months, he will occasionally still be seen on TCM during special presentations that have already been recorded.

These include -

"The Essentials" on Saturday evenings.

"Race and Hollywood" on Tuesday and Thursday in July.

and Guest Programmer night in September (and maybe October.)

This explains why RO is on TCM on Tuesday Night but not on Wednesday. TCM is expecting Robert Osborne to return to his nightly hosting duties in the fall. (About three months.)

If you'd like, this thread already started would be a great place to post messages of good will to Mr. Osborne.

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=160695&tstart=0&messageID=8538000#8538000

Kyle In Hollywood

Bumping this up because the evening broadcast sans Robert O begins in just a few minutes and I suspect there will be some folks wondering where is Robert O and why is RJ Wagner in his place?

So, if they come here, hopefully, they will find this thread!

Thanks to both of you for this notice and the bump.

I want him back as soon a possible.

Thanks, Kyle. I was taken aback because I had not heard anything about this.

I miss RO already - best wishes to him. It will be fun to see some of the oldie but goodie guest presenters, though.

I am very confused.

I believed that all of the hosting segments were recorded over the course of two days in Atlanta in the month prior to the airing.

How could it be that this is news to TCM on the very day they first have a new host?

My thoughts and prayers are with Robert Osborne. I hope he is well and happy even if he is not able to or decides not to return to us.

Thanks, Kyle, didn't know. But at least glad I saw it now or I would have really worried when I tuned in tonight and didn't see him. Hope he gets his rest after the surgery and is back soon.

SansFin--I'm assuming that Robert O. has known about the surgery for some time and it was only made public today. Maybe these were filmed some weeks back but no announcement was made to protect his privacy.

I do know that when Ben used to be on the radio show Young Turks on a regular basis that he would take a week off each month to go to Atlanta to film his segments.

And the guest host segment of July 4th with Conan O'Brien had to be filmed before April 5 because that was the day he shaved his beard on his show.

> How could it be that this is news to TCM on the very day they first have a new host?

Sans,

My guess is that they did it out of respect for Robert O's privacy. The announcement was picked up and made the papers in NYC where Robert O lives.

By waiting until the day of the new host, I think TCM wished to cut down on the amount of speculation that might have gone on had the announcement been made any earlier.

Either way, we all want Robert O back and better than ever.

I think that well-meaning fans could also be part of the decision here. My first thought when reading the news was that his apartment building just might become the scene of fans looking for a glimpse. It's not as if it isn't known, it was revealed a few years ago in a NY Times profile.

I know that I'm the type who would rather hide while recovering, preferring to be seen at my best.

> Great minds....

Helen,

And slow wireless connections (at least on my end), gotta love 'em!

I am hopeful that Mr. Osborne's surgery is successful and that his recovery brings him back in better health to loyal TCM fans. He has been incredibly generous in sharing his talent with us for so long and so consistently. In more recent years, I've come to more fully appreciate the depth of knowledge and commitment he brings to us as fans and viewers each evening. He is a remarkable person. My heartfelt and very best wishes go out to him and his loved ones.

classicsuz

I hope you please understand that this is speculation but it is speculation based on someone's experience with a high-profile case and it eases my mind: it is possible that the announcement was not made until after the surgery when it would be clear when or if he could return to his busy schedule. By telling us he will return in three months indicates awareness that he will indeed return and that his recovery is expected to proceed at a normal rate with no complications foreseen.

I am looking forward to his return and I hope he is doing well.

I hadn't heard about this before I turned on TCM tonight. I was in the computer room and the small TV in there is far away from my desk, and I had not had a chance to un-mute it yet, and when Robert Wagner first came on to do a commentary...I thought it was Robert Osborne at first! I remember thinking, "I don't know if I've ever seen Robert Osborne in a suit that color before." Then: "Wow, he looks very different tonight--is he ill?" Then I got up to go over to the TV and realized it was Robert Wagner! From a distance, they do look similar--at least, it fooled me for a minute.

Of course, I wish Mr. Osborne a nice rest and a speedy recovery. As great as Robert Wagner is, there's no true replacement for the affable Robert Osborne!

Robbie

P.S. Cross-posting here from another thread since I don't know which one I'm supposed to post to.

the only way i can explain how i feel about the whole deal is that it was a good/bad surprise.

i have no beef with Osborne (other than he never answered me fan letter I sent two years ago) and it's irked me a little that some people've thrown various hissy fits over some of his minor gaffes over the past few months (at least the dude has credentials to back up his place.) I'll miss him and hope he gets better soon, it may be that he won't return full time to his post, which is okay, it may be what he needs.

that said, the selection of R.J. Wagner as pinch hitter was a nice out-of-left-field surprise, a name I'd never thought of as a possible host (guest or otherwise.) He's got charisma and credentials (that's two up on a certain weekend guy that I mention in passing and hope it won't end up derailing the thread.) I do admit that I half-expected RJ to tell me about how a reverse mortgage would help me pay my bills at the end of Ride the Wild Surf - glad that didn't happen (but would forgive him if it did.)

Somene else mentioned that Tippi Hedrin and Jane Powell will also be filling in, which I think (if true) is awesome as network could GREATLY benefit from a little variety and some girl power- different hosts throughout the week is a great idea.

All my best wishes go out to the Silver Fox, get better Mr. O.

Edited by: JonnyGeetar on Jul 12, 2011 8:55 AM

Boy, they waited till the very last minute to announce RO's absence. I didnt realize the guest hosts had started already! (havent been watching lately due to lack of interest in the primetime schedule lately).......

Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing Tippi. Sad to say RO isnt going to last forever, and maybe it's for the good that we get used to seeing him less on the network, rather than a abrupt change. It's possible, like someone said, he may return in a reduced capacity........

Thanks, Mr. "in Hollywood" for posting the info on this. I knew he was gone (from what I saw last night) but am glad for the info here that you posted.

Will hope and be praying for the best and most speedy of recoveries for our dear beloved Mr. Osborne. He is definitly the "face" of TCM for me and his daily presence will be missed. (though I am glad they have some items pre-recorded so he can still be here.. even when he's not)

But I will also say as a side note that if Mr.O had to be gone.. I am grateful to TCM for arranging to have some fine classic film "friends" (actors and other personalities) to come sit in for Mr. Osborne while he is away. It is a rare treat (at least for me) to see some of them this way, and to get their "insider" takes on some of the films and stars they will be introducing.

> It's possible, like someone said, he may return in a reduced capacity........

Anything is possible but for now, TCM is saying Robert O will return to his full time hosting duties in October.

We will have to wait and see what happens or if, a month or two from now, TCM revises their statement.

Till then (either way), we have no reason not to expect Robert O back at the helm.

It would REALLY be great if they could somehow get a few of the more reclusive stars (Doris Day, Olivia De Havilland, Kim Novak, etc.) to sit in as guest hosts. Not too likely.

*"I am grateful to TCM for arranging to have some fine classic film "friends" (actors and other personalities) to come sit in for Mr. Osborne while he is away. It is a rare treat (at least for me) to see some of them this way, and to get their "insider" takes on some of the films and stars they will be introducing."* - rohanaka

You''ve brought up an important observation. Having these "Friends Of TCM" and of Robert Osborne take over the reins for a few weeks gives the viewers at home a chance to see how well loved the channel (and Robert) is by so many in the community. One had to go to "The Classic FIlm Festival" or "The Road To Hollywood" events to experience that.

Of other "Friends Of TCM", I'd like to see Eva Marie Saint fill in on a week (During Marlon Brando Day in August?), Tab Hunter, Illeana Douglas and the author Cari Beauchamp.

And if the well runs dry during the dog days of August, I wouldn't mind if some of the TCM Staffers we saw in March were re-enlisted to take over a night or two.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}It would REALLY be great if they could somehow get a few of the more reclusive stars (Doris Day, Olivia De Havilland, Kim Novak, etc.) to sit in as guest hosts. Not too likely.

Very unlikely in the case of Dodo. I read she REFUSES to discuss her film career and won't even answer to the name "Doris" anymore she's so down on her Hollywood experience (and the present state of the industry) and is deathly afraid of flying to boot.

Edited by: JonnyGeetar on Jul 12, 2011 8:50 PM

It sounds like someone had speculated on Robert's condition, but the webmaster may have deleted that particular message? Don't want to invade the man's privacy, but all the comments raised my curiosity.

Doris wont answer to Doris? But Doris is her real name! I'd say the chances of Doris appearing on TCM (or anywhere) are millions to one unfortunately...........