Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Love Affair (1939)

> {quote:title=slaytonf wrote:}{quote}I could never understand why Leo McCarey remade this movie. Or why it is highly regarded. I have never been able to force myself to watch more than fifteen minutes of An Affair to Remember.

I find the remake completely unwatchable. Having said that, the original is pretty stupid, as well. It's just easier to take. As to why he remade it, it's quite likely that it was announced by Fox that they intended to remake it. For McCarey, it was a job. Why let someone else do it?

My favourite film. I don't know how many times I've seen it but the last few minutes still choke me up everytime. Boyer was within a heartbeat of walking out on the love of his life. Who wouldn't want Irene Dunne! I love a happy ending.

Then there's the wonderful scene with Maria Ouspenskaya as the grandmother. I always find it so heartwarming.

I like movies that make you feel good.

Yes. The story works better in a 30s setting (though still requires some suspension of disbelief). By the 50's this type of scenario was very dated. But it's the acting of Dunne and Boyer that really puts the movie over (and Maria too)