Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
thestick

What A Character Picks

This might have already been posted (I've been off the site for 2 years). What are some of the actors you would like to see featured in "What a Character"?

I would like to know if anyone has a list (archives) of the people who have been featured? These little segments are always entertaining, wish they would do more and show them more often.

The ones that have already been featured, as far as I can remember are:

William Demarest

Frank McHugh

Rags Ragland

Marjorie Main

Edna Mae Oliver

Eve Arden

William Frawley (although I'm not quite sure about that)

Conrad Veight

Hattie McDaniel

I like to see C. Aubrey Smith or Harry Davenport

Edited by: helenbaby on Jul 20, 2011 11:52 AM

Edited by: helenbaby on Jul 20, 2011 11:53 AM

*"William Frawley (although I'm not quite sure about that)"* - helenbaby

You're "good" with that one. Frawley's included.

I think you hit all of them with your list.

If a future "set" are produced, I vote for Ned sparks. And Mary Boland.

Kyle In Hollywood

They have one for S.Z. "Cuddles" Sakall right? But they have barely scratched the surface here, there are dozens of other possiblities.

I'd like to see Agnes Moorehead. I don't know if they already featured her but she was in so many classic films.

I agree there should be a tribute to James Gleason. He is the perfect straight man in so many zany movies.

Yes, Guy Kibbee and Cuddles have been featured, as has Beulah Bondi (I think Joan Cusack narrated that one).

I like the suggestions so far, and add a vote from here for Iris Adrian. Disney kept giving her priceless little cameos well into her old age.

Is there a difference between the "What A Character" spots and the contemporary star tributes to the classic star?

Anyway, another big vote for fave James Gleason (include occasionally seen wife Lucille)

Charlotte Greenwood

Alan Hale Sr

George Tobias

Thomas Mitchell

Around 16, I realized Scarlett O'Hara's father was the same guy as Uncle Billy in *It's A Wonderful Life.* That revelation sparked my beginning as a true cinefile.

*"There hasn't been one for Frank Morgan, the most prominent MGM character player of all?"*

I have a vague recollection of seeing Frank featured in What A Character, although I may be wrong.

Morgan is one character actor, among relatively few, who also became a leading player, actually starring in some movies (e.g., THE GREAT MORGAN) and playing major supporting roles elsewhere (e.g, THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER). Others did so, too, like Edna Mae Oliver and Guy Kibbee, but most were apparently content to play those small roles that add so much spice to movies.

How about Charles Lane? He had to be one of the most prolific and longest-working character actors, appearing in what sometimes seems like almost every movie on TCM (although not literally so).

I'd love to see all of the great character actors mentioned here get more attention. If TCM hasn't done so already, I'd suggest that they *feature character actors as collective* "*stars of the month*," much as they did with child actors a while back. Have a day or two each week when you feature blocks of movies that all feature the same character actor.

> There hasn't been one for Frank Morgan, the most prominent MGM character player of all?

Finance,

I'm pretty sure that Frank Morgan has been featured in *What a Character*. Like Bingfan, I have a vague memory of that interstitial.

Her career was way too short to qualify for What a Character, but I have a soft spot for the early 60's teenager Trudi Ames, whose cheerfulness and ability with a sarcastic throwaway got her compared with Eve Arden. Her main appearances were in "Bye Bye Birdie" and "Gidget Goes to Rome" and aside from some television work she disappeared.

I suddenly recall that Mary Wickes has been featured in the What a Character series. Can anyone confirm?

Joseph Calleia

J. Carrol Naish

Maria Ouspenskaya

Charles Middleton

Halliwell Hobbes

Tom D'Andrea

Emperor Ming, of Planet Mongo, Flash Gordon

Commandant of the French Foreign Legion, in the Laurel and Hardy film *Beau Hunks*

He always played a very stern guy, for good, or evil. Reminds me a bit of Victor Jory. The IMDb gives him 195 credits, from 1920 to 1949. However, he often didn't receive credit in the films' credits. You'd probably recognize him, if you saw him.

Since no one else has mentioned my favorite character actors, these are the ones that I love most that I want to see featured:

Ward Bond

Mildred Natwick

Spring Byington (if she counts)

Buddy Ebsen (if he counts)

but mostly Thelma Ritter

All Good!

Hmmm, that reminds me of

Sara Algood (Jane Eyre, The Lodger, Spiral Staircase)

Miles Malleson (Thief of Baghdad, Dead of Night, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Stage Fright)

Una Merkel (Maltese Falcon 1931, Riff Raff, Destry Rides Again)

Una O'Connor (The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Sea Hawk, My Pal Wolf, Witness for the Prosecution)

>Emperor Ming, of Planet Mongo, Flash Gordon.

>Commandant of the French Foreign Legion, in the Laurel and Hardy film Beau Hunks.

>He always played a very stern guy, for good, or evil.....

I agree. Charles Middleton would be a great candidate for a "What a Character" profile.

Although he was excellent as a villain he wasn't always a bad guy. In several films he even played Abraham Lincoln.