Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jane Frazee in Cowboy Canteen

What I love about old movies is finding a gem of a song that I've never heard of before. The latest is Jane Frazee singing " A Spot in Arizona". A beautiful song sung simply and have you ever seen someone look so lovely.

That type of music used to be on the Western juke boxes in cafes and saloons when I was a kid back in the 1940s and early '50s. I think most of it came from the old Hollywood Cowboy movies. I spent a few of my younger years in West Texas, Wyoming, New Mexico, Colorado, and Montana. The Western juke boxes played mainly cowboy music from the movies.

It's a type of music we don't hear anywhere anymore.

Back then, in the East they listened to country music from the East, and in the West they listened to Western music from the movies. By the end of the 1950s, it all became known as Country and Western music, but the old Cowboy movie music gradually disappeared.

Jane Frazee looked good as a blonde - I was used to seeing her as a brunette in Buck Privates. I didn't know she could sing.

In the 1950s, she had a bit part in an episode of The Adventures of Superman and was unrecognizable.

"I Can't Help It", a great Hank Williams song, among so many others that he did. And yes, she did look at him adoringly.

I wonder if she is a relation to June Carter, Johnny Cash's wife, and the Carter family?

I like a lot of the Cowboy music in these films, and the films themselves. I guess I'll check out my recording of *Cowboy Canteen*, I knew Jane Frazee from films like *Buck Privates* and *The Big Bonanza* but never realized she was in so many of these Cowboy films until recently. She also appears in a noir type crime film called *Incident* that I would like to check out but it seems to have disappeared.

>I wonder if she is a relation to June Carter, Johnny Cash's wife, and >the Carter family?

Anita and June performed together with their other sister Helen as the Carter Sisters. Maybelle Carter would often join them.

Here they are with June playing the autoharp while Anita and Helen sing with Maybelle:

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}Here's a pretty tune with Anita Carter and Hank Williams:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Watch the expressions on Anita's face. It looks like she is in love with Hank.

>

Wow! Ya know I've never realized this before, but after watching that, I THINK I'm beginning to see where the folks at Pixar got their inspiration for the look of Sheriff Woody in the *Toy Story* movies! And, I ain't just talkin' about the clothes here. Yep, Woody's the spittin' image of Hank Sr!!!

(...yeah Fred, I know this should probably go in that "Lookalikes" thread, and I wood...err...WOULD do that, BUT you've STILL never directed me to where I can find the information of how to POST PICTURES around here...Pardner!!!)

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}Jane Frazee looked good as a blonde - I was used to seeing her as a brunette in Buck Privates. I didn't know she could sing.

Jane sang "I Wish You Were Here" in BUCK PRIVATES. Maybe your station cut it out!

I love her "Conga Beso" in HELLZAPOPPIN'. VERY sexy!

Dargo, my old pal! I think you are right about Sheriff Woodie and Hank Williams. (No need to say "Sr." to anyone who is older than 60 years, because we know who Hank Williams really was.)

Our old buddy scsu left you a message in "Lookalikes" telling you how to post a photo:

"The simplest way is to cut and paste the url of the photo here, and place an exclamation point before and after the url."

In other words, find the photo's URL address, post it, then put an exclamation point just before and just after the address, with no spaces. An exclamation point looks like this:

!

But keep in mind that that code will not work in this "General Discussions" forum.

Also, try not to use a photo that is wider than about 550 pixels. :)

Thanks Fred. I apprecate you takin' the time to help me with the whole photo post thing.

And btw. I just about busted a gut when I read that last line here:

> In other words, find the photo's URL address, post it, then put an exclamation point just before and just after the address, with no spaces. An exclamation point looks like this:

>

> !

Yep, as it appears you've noticed, I have, lets say, an affinity for them there exclamation points, don't I?!!!

;)

You've been with us for only 14 days, but as far as I'm concerned, you are one of the "old timers" here now. :) So we don't have to push you off a cliff. We've taken you in with us as a partner. :)

Thanks Fred. I appreciate this most welcoming of sentiments, also! B-)

And, I'm startin' to wonder why is it I've waited so long to become a member of this group of insightful and articulate folks who share my love of cinema!

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}That type of music used to be on the Western juke boxes in cafes and saloons when I was a kid back in the 1940s and early '50s. I think most of it came from the old Hollywood Cowboy movies. I spent a few of my younger years in West Texas, Wyoming, New Mexico, Colorado, and Montana. The Western juke boxes played mainly cowboy music from the movies.

>

> It's a type of music we don't hear anywhere anymore.

>

Fred, do yourself a favor, and buy a couple of Riders in the Sky CDs, the earlier the better. You might also like Tom Russell, and Guy Clark.

Edited by: ValentineXavier on Jul 23, 2011 10:27 PM

>ValentineXavier wrote

>Do yourself a favor, and buy a couple of Riders in the Sky CDs, the earlier the better.

Another Riders in the Sky fan!

You beat me to it, I was going to recommend them too as the only act I've heard who really gets it right...that good old Sons of the Pioneers type of sound (and that's a tremendous compliment!) These guys are the real deal, as they say. I used to see them on some cable channel, maybe Nashville Network years ago introducing B-westerns. They'd also perform a few songs and do a bit of comedy.

I checked and see that there are several of their CD's and LP's for sale on eBay right now, all reasonably priced. For anyone who misses that good old real western music and is fed up with what is called country music these days, The Riders in the Sky are highly recommended!

"*Another Riders in the Sky fan! ..... I used to see them on some cable channel, maybe Nashville Network years ago introducing B-westerns. They'd also perform a few songs and do a bit of comedy."*

They had a great show. Sometimes they'd give out with some of their cowboy sagebrush advice, like:

"Never drink downstream from the herd." or

"Never squat with your spurs on."

:)

Thanks for bringing back those memories.

I first saw Riders in the Sky back in the 80s, when they were starting out, at the Wheatland Music Festival. I think most of them went to U of Michigan. Unfortunately, I haven't seen them live in years. I was fortunate to hear them do the cowboy classic Water for the first time, after I had been requesting it before they learned it.

Addendum: Riders in the Sky preserve the old songs, and have a humorous bent. Sons of the San Joaquin play it straighter, with a reverence for that sort of music. According to wikipedia, Roy Rogers said they were the only ones alive who sound like the original Sons of the Pioneers.

Edited by: ValentineXavier on Jul 24, 2011 7:12 PM