Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Which day in August are you most looking forward to on TCM?

The day featuring Lon Chaney has a lot of silent films. And so does Ronald Colman's salute.

I definitely second the idea of a day of silents. If you included foreign classics like Greed, Metropolis, Pandora's Box and Diary of a Lost Girl you could easily have enough, without having to play the same old Chaplins / Keatons / Lloyds. Has Diary of a Lost Girl even been shown on TCM at any time?

Highlight days for August: Chaney, Davis, Dvorak, Blondell, Gabin. Low point by far: Shirley MacLaine.

Greed, like all of Stroheim's directorial career, is an American film.

Metropolis, Pandora's Box, and Diary are as well known as the Chaplins, Keatons, and Lloyds - Metropolis has more IMDB votes than any of Chaplin's films and almost all of Lloyd actually fares worse in popularity than the two Pabsts. From that group, I'd rather see TCM show Prix de Beaute or one of Louise Brooks' rarely seen American films, Lang's Die Nibelungen or Dr. Mabuse, or Pabst's The Love of Jeanne Ney.

Or some of the myriad American (Lucky Star, Lonesome) and European (The Dying Swan, Coeur Fidele) silent masterpieces that aren't widely seen.

I'm quite gladdened to find so many others excited about Lon Chaney day. Many favorites that aren't on my TCM box set like TELL IT TO THE MARINES, one of his very few roles without his famous make-up. You can appreciate what a great actor he was!

Also *very* excited to see fave Joanne Woodward spotlighted. Finally get to see "GAMMA RAYS" & RALLY AROUND THE FLAG, BOYS!!

And lastly, Linda Darnell Day will be fun because I am so unfamiliar with her work. There are *several* TCM premieres this day!

Although I love Joan Blondell, Ralph Bellamy and Bette Davis, I've seen these films a million times. The TCM premieres are what really grab me. Interesting Ann Francis premieres late at night. (good thing I have a recorder)

TELL IT TO THE MARINES aired on Memorial Day weekend, I think. So it does pop up from time to time. If it becomes available commercially, my guess is it would be part of a box set of William Haines movies.

RALLY 'ROUND THE FLAG, BOYS! is out on DVD, as part of a Joan Collins set from Fox. I had to laugh when reading a recent post on the LAND OF THE PHARAOHS thread where someone says Joan did not have much of a film career. Completely untrue. She was a big star in the late 50s at Fox and was given some of the projects that Marilyn Monroe turned down. Her Fox film set is very good.

The Warner Archives released several of Anne Francis' MGM titles earlier this summer. Most likely, she was put on the SUTS roster in order to advertise these DVDs and because she passed away recently.

Some of those silents may be more popular among serious film buffs, but ask the average self-described "movie fan", and the names of Chaplin, Lloyd and Keaton will resonate far more often than Fritz Lang or Louise Brooks. In the last few years on TCM I've seen Pandora's Box exactly once (after midnight), Metropolis once, and Diary of a Lost Girl never, whereas Lloyd has been shown repeatedly and Chaplin and Keaton have been given a fair amount of play as well. And while Brooks and Lang may occasionally show up on big screens in cities lucky enough to have good repertory theaters, not everyone lives in cities like that.

That said, I'd completely endorse your thoughts about some of the even more unknown silents, and in truth I wouldn't mind seeing a Silents week, a Weimer Silents week, or even a Silents month. It'd sure beat another deluge of Mickey Rooney and widescreen Bible epics.

Oh, and of course I stand corrected about Greed. Thanks for refreshing my memory on that.

There's hardly a day I wont be watching, but I'm most interested in Linda Darnell, Joanne Woodward, Ann Dvorak, Paulette Goddard and Joan Blondell. Darnell, Goddard and Woodward dont turn up too often on TCM! Dvorak and Blondell are usually in the early morning hours........ I NEED TO FREE UP SOME DVR SPACE FAST!!!!

I try to keep my DVR under 30% full. I am proud of myself...lately I have been keeping it around 10%. LOL

I'm lucky if I can keep mine under 90%. I can transfer stuff from my Tivo to my mac, though. In the conversion, it reduces the average film from around 10 G to 3-4G, and even smaller for watching on my iPhone. Then I stream it back to my TV using another Tivo-associated app. A little work, but keeps what I need to keep.

David in Seattle

Primitive as it may seem, I just solve the problem with an old fashioned DVD recorder, a lot of cheap blank DVDs, and a closet formerly occupied by excess clothes and towels that are now the property of the Salvation Army. And anyway, why pay your cable company an extra monthly charge for a box you really don't need?

*WIsh I could say the same. LOL!*

Me too. Like David in Seattle, mine generally stays at about 90%. It's always at its lowest in February.

Andy,

I've just had too many DVD's that I've burned over the years that go bad for one reason or another. I don't know if it's the change in technology over the years, or what. Plus, I just keep transferred stuff on a mini-drive that I hook up to my laptop. I can then stream it anytime with little loss of quality (though some). That way, I don't have to get up and load a dvd. I can just go to the Tivo menus and select the film I want to watch, and delete it when I'm done.

David in Seattle

I have found that when my DVR gets to 50% full or higher, then it's just too much for me to get through and it becomes a chore to watch them all. So I just transfer titles immediately if I cannot get to watching them till later.

Yesterday I had it down to 7%.

Tomorrow it will probably go up to 20%, since I am recording all those great Joe E. Brown selections airing on TCM.

LOL. I can relate. Mine must be close to 100% now. Doubt if I could even record an hr show. I just dont have the time to watch in the summertime or am just felled by the heat. I need to this wknd!!

I must be lucky, since up to now I've only had about 3 or 4 bad DVDs out of over 1300, and since they can be pre-set in less than a minute and only take about 90 seconds to finalize, the hassle is virtually non-existent. Obviously after a certain point they take up more space than the DVR box, but with DVDs I don't have to make choices, and if I really like a movie I can record a second or third copy to give away to friends who don't have the time to record them. Simple technology, but the upside is that after only a few years I've got a DVD library that'd otherwise have cost a small fortune to duplicate, if you could even find them all to begin with. I still buy the occasional DVD, but only titles that never show up on TCM.

I see your point, Andy. For what it's worth, I can burn a dvd from a copy transferred from Tivo. I have a few hundred dvd's/blu-ray. Mostly I've collected the AFI Top 100 and Top 100 Thrillers. I probably watch too many antique programs, because I like to delude myself that my heirs will be able to sell my blu-ray copies of classics in 50 years for big bucks!!! My so-called "limited edition" of the blu-ray *Wizard of Oz* has the watch that came with it in pristine condition. I'm guessing that alone will be of some value in 2060.

David in Seattle

Joan Blondell Day, for "Stand-In" alone. Love the casting sequence with the stage mother.

Runners-up: Linda Darnell Day; Jean Gabin Day.

Thanks NYGuy for adding your comments to the thread. It should be a great month on TCM!

My picks:

August 11: Ben Johnson Enough said.

15: Lon Chaney, Sr. Cagney's best movie was *Man of a Thousand Faces* and now I

get to see what inspired it

23: Conrad Veidt An anti-Nazi German who used his talent to fight in his own way. I'm

looking to see him in other roles than *Casablanca's* Strasser.

I'm also going to check out Ann Dvorak, Joan Blondell and Jean Gabin as well.

I like the inclusion of Conrad Veidt and Jean Gabin in this series very much. I would like to have seen a British actress featured, like Celia Johnson, Wendy Hiller, Deborah Kerr or Vanessa Redgrave. Maybe next year.

Another vote for Ann Dvorak day, because i think she was one of the best dramatic actresses of the 30's. I'm happily surprised to see so many other people are looking forward to her day too. i thought i was her only fan LOL. and i haven't see a majority of the movies in the lineup yet.

i also noticed there is a lot of crossover between the stars. for instance, Casablanca is playing on Conrad Veidt day instead of Bogart day. That was a clever bit of programming. and i counted 4 more Joan Blondell movies on other peoples' days in addition to the 16 movies playing on her day, for a grand total of 20. (Pretty good selection too, though i would've taken out 'Kona Coast' and replaced it with 'There's Always a Woman', or 'Miss Pinkerton', or just about ANYTHING else in her catalog.)

Another vote for Ann Dvorak day, because i think she was one of the best dramatic actresses of the 30's. I'm happily surprised to see so many other people are looking forward to her day too. i thought i was her only fan LOL. and i haven't see a majority of the movies in the lineup yet.

Ann, Jean Gabin and Conrad Veidt look to be this year's equivalents of Thelma Todd from last year's SUTS -- people casual classic Hollywood fans may know from a handful of films, but one who will come off as a revelation when seen in a larger context.

I'm a big Ann Dvorak fan, too, and I just found out a few days ago that she pronounced her name "VOR-zhak", with a silent "D". And all these years I couldn't decide whether it was pronounced like the composer (d'VOR-zhak, as I've always heard it on the radio), or the more literal "American" rendition, "D'-VOR-ack". Live and learn.

BTW if there's one movie of Dvorak's to bookmark, it's the classic pre-code Three on a Match. Barely over an hour, and you've got Dvorak in a total lowlife role, with a supporting cast of "good girls" Blondell and Davis, Warren William as the noble but cuckolded husband, Lyle Talbot as Dvorak's road to ruin, Bogart as a coldblooded kidnapper, Allen Jenkins in a bit role, Edward Arnold as the gang boss poetically known as "Ace", and even a young Anne Shirley in Dvorak's childhood role. It's one of the best showcases for the bottomless well of Warner Brothers talent that you'll ever find, in what seems on the surface to be only a "B" movie.