Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SansFin

Mill Creek Fifty-Movie sets at Wal-Mart

I found at Wal-Mart a display of Mill Creek Entertainment's package sets of fifty movies for $10. The 'Mystery Classics' was interesting to me because it contains several Bulldog Drummond movies so I ignored my budget and purchased it. I began to watch one and the print is old but had no obvious flaws in as much as I could watch.

The package sets can be seen at:

http://www.millcreekent.com/products/packs.html?dir=asc&order=name&packs=215

There are movies in other sets which I believe someone I know might like but I do not wish to make them a gift which is of poor quality. I would very much appreciate if any person here can tell me if this supplier has a reputation for good prints.

What you are getting are public domain titles. Mill Creek does not have to get permission from anyone to sell these movies. They are usually in fair to poor condition.

The problem I have with Mill Creek releases (I've received some as gifts and will NEVER buy one myself) is that they more often than not place their logo in the corner of the screen several times throughout the movie. NO video company has any business or right to do that.

Just goes to show you...there ARE no bargains at Wal*Mart.

It's merchandise is underpriced for a reason and the cost to the US is actually very high.

cody1949 and kriegerg69 - I thank you for that information. I had hoped that I could judge their overall quality by what I find in the set I purchased.

I now have watched one movie and much of another. The prints are obviously unrestored but I have seen worse aired. Even if all the other movies are bad I have received a good value in the movies I wished and which I could not purchase so cheaply elsewhere.

Oddly the first disk of Bulldog Drummond movies has a 'TreeLine Films' logo.

TikiSoo - I have little choice of shopping. Kroger, Target and Kohl's are all priced far outside my budget and the goods I purchased there were often worse than what I find at Wal-Mart. I also do not have to endure the self-righteous clerks in those stores.

I have seen on the Mill Creek website that these collections are priced at $29.95. I assume that is so they can claim the item is on sale when they offer it for $24.95 or $19.95. I believe Wal-Mart's price of $10 is a fair value for the first disk of three movies alone.

I own two Mill Creek Entertainment 50 packs (PURE TERROR and HORROR CLASSICS) and I actuallly really enjoy them! I haven't seen any logos pop up on the screen yet, and while some of the prints are poor, some range from decent to good. For example, HORROR CLASSICS's *Dementia 13* print and PURE TERROR's *The House by the Cemetery* print were just as good as anything I'd see here on TCM.

I wouldn't recommend any Mill Creek products for someone who is a stickler over quality, but for at LEAST three quarters of each pack being of a decent quality, it's a steal for the price.

It costs me about $60 to burn 100 movies individually, I haven't seen this set as I already have many of the movies, but I see they have a few Sherlock Holmes movies which are very good.

Please Murder Me has Angela Lansbury which I thought was a very good movie, she is very beautiful in that. DOA is a good movie, Scarlet Street and a number of others..

The Wong movies I don't think are so good, but in the list 25 movies at least I think are worthy so $10 for 25 movies minimum is a very good price.

I saw a John Wayne box collection at Kroger the other day that consisted mostly of his '30s oaters (the programmers he made in between "The Big Trail" and "Stagecoach," where he really learned his craft), as well as a documentary on John Ford and the West (Wayne certainly played a major role in that) and a few other public domain films. IIRC, the box had 12 DVDs and sold for about $5.99.

> {quote:title=QRex wrote: }{quote}I wouldn't recommend any Mill Creek products for someone who is a stickler over quality, but for at LEAST three quarters of each pack being of a decent quality, it's a steal for the price.

There's a lot of people on the boards who would never be happy with the quality of these sets and that's okay because we each like what we like. Still others will be very pleased.

I have a neighbor who bought several sets from a catalog and ended up with over 400 films at some rediculously cheap price per film and he's just thrilled. I spot checked the quality on maybe 100 of them and while there were a few that were downright garbage most were acceptable if you don't expect too much and there were some that were excellent. If you can buy 50 films for ten bucks and even half of them are of decent quality then I think, for some people at least, it's still a great bargain.

I bought one of their 4 DVD Public Domain animation sets for five dollars. I'm happy with it but I'm not a videophile, (my 13 inch TV will tell you that.)

I own the Mill Creek Karloff set. It has an excellent film of "The Ape" best I've seen including TCM. Also "Juggernaut"... They do as good as you can expect of old movies. I've seen the Hitchcock set & it has a few good ones too.:)

I wish to thank all of you. I have found the set I purchased to be quite good for me but of what has been said makes me believe it would be unwise to purchase a set as a gift because I would not know the condition of the best movies in it.

:)

I used to own the Alfred Hitchcock 20 movie pack, but I lost it before I could watch any of them! :( It's around here somewhere.

I'm interested in getting the Martial Arts Classics 50 pack, the Classic Musicals 50 pack (especially for *Wild Guitar*), the Legends of Horror 50 pack (mainly for *The Long Hair of Death,* because I thought it was completely unavailable on any medium; also, it contains the 20 Hitchcock movies), the Drive-In Movie Classics 50 pack (for *Jive Turkey*, *Blood Mania*, *The Murder Mansion*, the heavily edited version of Dario Argento's *Tenebrae*, known as *Unsane*), and the Chilling Classics 50 pack (for *I Bury the Living*, *Driller Killer*, *Jesse James meets Frankenstein's Daughter*, and *Cathy's Curse*).

I used to own the Alfred Hitchcock 20 movie pack, but I lost it before I could watch any of them! :( It's around here somewhere.

I'm interested in getting the Martial Arts Classics 50 pack, the Classic Musicals 50 pack (especially for *Wild Guitar*), the Legends of Horror 50 pack (mainly for *The Long Hair of Death,* because I thought it was completely unavailable on any medium; also, it contains the 20 Hitchcock movies), the Drive-In Movie Classics 50 pack (for *Jive Turkey*, *Blood Mania*, *The Murder Mansion*, the heavily edited version of Dario Argento's *Tenebrae*, known as *Unsane*), and the Chilling Classics 50 pack (for *I Bury the Living*, *Driller Killer*, *Jesse James meets Frankenstein's Daughter*, and *Cathy's Curse*).

SansFin, again I'm late to the party! I happen to absolutely dig the Mill Creek sets!!! I have quite a few of them, and really enjoy them all! Here's what I'd recommend:

Mystery Classics (one of their best!)

Dark Crimes (another of their best, the one with most noir's on it)

Horror Classics (awesome as well!)

Crime Classics (Very, very good!)

Night Screams (Awesome!)

Tales of Terror (Excellent!)

Sci Fi Classics (not one of their best, but pretty good overall!)

Family Classics

Comedy Classics--this one merges two of the 50 packs into a 100 pack!

Action Classics (not one of their best, but some gems!)

Classic Musicals (excellent!!)

Hollywood Legends (very, very good!)

Guns of the West (100 pack)

Cowboy Classics (100 pack)

I also have some of their TV packs, which are all very good as well!

Now, keep in mind these are all unrestored public domain flix, so the quality is all over the place, but I happen to love seeing a ton of films that I've never seen before, most of these are never aired anywhere anymore if ever!

Also beware of many of their newer releases as they include more modern films and sometimes blood and gore flix, which I'm not really interested in.

It is the Sci-Fi set I am interested in buying as a gift. It has several movies he has wanted for many years and they either are not available on disk anywhere else or they are priced very high for a movie from a house which does not restore films.

I am wondering why TCM does not show many more of these movies which are in Public Domain. It would surely be cheaper than renting from a normal distributor.

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote} I am wondering why TCM does not show many more of these movies which are in Public Domain. It would surely be cheaper than renting from a normal distributor.

I think probably because TCM has set a standard for quality and whenever they do run something that's less then we've come to expect people complain. Just look through these boards and you'll see them. Sure, one or two now and then might be okay, especially if it's something that's rare and there isn't any better copies out there, but too often and it would detract from TCM's image. Besides there are a lot of other outlets for PD films.

Mill Creek has kind of a cool Video Logo. It's a reel of film coming out of an old water mill. You can see it by going to You Tube and Typing In "Mill Creek Video Logo."

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}It is the Sci-Fi set I am interested in buying as a gift. It has several movies he has wanted for many years and they either are not available on disk anywhere else or they are priced very high for a movie from a house which does not restore films.

>

> I am wondering why TCM does not show many more of these movies which are in Public Domain. It would surely be cheaper than renting from a normal distributor.

The Sci Fi set is very good! Just not my fave as I happen to enjoy most the 30's and 40's B crime mysteries, but it's a very good set!!! I hope it works out well for you!

TCM shows a few of the films on the Mill Creek sets, and when they do, I'm always amazed because the quality is so awesome comparatively!!! But generally most of them are not shown because of the quality issues mentioned earlier. TCM always strives to show high quality presentations of films, whether they be obscure B or poverty row studios or not!