Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lizabeth Scott: A Lauren Bacall "Type"?

*With that voice and look, was Scott supposed to be Columbia's answer to Bacall?*
*I've heard this, but I dunno...*

Actually, she was Paramount's (via producer Hal Wallis) version to Bacall. Whenever there was a successful new star with a new image (wasn't Bacall publicized as "The Look", or was it "The Face"), the other studios would want one of their own. Ergo, Lizabeth Scott, and Nancy Guild at Fox, and . . .

I remember that years ago I had a big book called HOLLYWOOD SCREEN LEGENDS that was actually a collection of articles from several movie magazines. One article was on films of the 40s and the comment was that Lizabeth Scott thought that she was Lauren Bacall when in reality she wasn't even the equal of Ella Raines.

Not so sure about that, Ascot. Ya see, when I think of Bankhead, I think of a women a little more worldly and "with-it", whereas Scarlett really is rather naive and clueless throughout the picture, until of course the dumb broad finally comes to realize at the end that Rhett was MUCH better suited for her.

And so, I think the Brit WAS the better pick. Yep, David O. picked the right one in MY book, anyway!

(...btw ascot...what's with your handle...I ask, ya see, because I know of the old Ascot raceway in SoCal, and I know Rudge was an old British motorcycle marque with some racing history...and so are you into classic motorcycles and m/c racing just as I am?)

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}I can never decide whether to hop on my Royal Enfield, or my Norton... :)

>

> Just kidding - I haver neither.

Hey, well at least it SOUNDS like you know what you're talkin' about here anyway, VX! ;)

(...which is more than I can usually say about most HARLEY riders out there!) :^0

Heyyyyy, whaddaya MEAN you "would've settled for a Triumph"???!!! X-(

I've got three of 'em and am sort of a dyed-in-the-wool "Triumph guy" here, ya see. ;)

That's cool about the Indian re-build. B-)

(...and now maybe we better get back to Ms. Scott, Bacall and Bankhead now, eh?!)

Aaaah! Thanks Ascot. THAT 'splains it! I now remember stumbling upon this film as I was surfin' YouTube about a year ago.

(...and I also remember becoming entranced by raven-haired Carla Balenda's sultry and smokin' hot look while watchin' it, and so I remember Googling her in order to see what her story was!)

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}The main difference is that, with Bacall, I can't wait for her to appear in a scene. With Scott, I can't wait for her to get out of one.

That's hilarious and I can't agree with you more. Lizabeth Scott is an awful actress who never improved and comes darn close to ruining Martha Ivers - an otherwise inn-teresting film. Bacall started out really, really strong with Big Sleep and To Have and Have Not and then faltered a bit (there's a 1946 film she made with Charles Boyer that she's not very good in) but she is amazingly confident for someone who started to young (18!) and with such big names at a big studio.

It is to note that Scott's career was ruined by Confidential magazine, which exposed her as a lesbian. She wanted to sue for defamation, but couldn't as the mag was not based in California. (this is all per the excellent book Dark City: A History of Film Noir by Eddie Muller.

Aaaaah! NOW I'm startin' to realize why Lizabeth seemed so much more into Jane Greer than Dennis O'Keefe while I was watchin' *The Company She Keeps* a couple weeks ago!

(...well, I guess I STILL ain't got no gaydar, 'cause this reminds me of the time a few years ago when I tried to set up a lady coworker with a guy who also worked in our office...and who everybody knew was gay but me!)

Lizabeth Scott is like the little girl with the curl, only in reverse: When she's "good", she's very, very bad, but when she's "bad", she's very, very good. She can put you to sleep with her over the top virtuous character in Martha Ivers or The Company She Keeps, but in Too Late For Tears with Dan Duryea she's as good a femme fatale as you'll ever see. As is often the case, it all depends on the role.

Everything's relative, and if Scott isn't the total paragon of sainthood in Martha Ivers that she was to be in The Company She Keeps, she's certainly virtuous compared to the Stanwyck character, who doesn't have a decent bone in her body. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)