Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ben tonight for SUTS

I wonder if he'll be dressed and lit differently than the weekend wraparounds. I assume it will have a slightly different look/feel.

Did he fly to Atlanta? Or did he film these in L.A.?

He films his weekend intro/outros in Atlanta so I'm assuming he will do this month's intros/outros in Atlanta as well. He was just there recently for the Atlanta Symphony/Casablanca thing and my friend who lives there said he's supposed to be there for a showing of The Mark of Zorro with Douglas Fairbanks sometime soon.

*"He films his weekend intro/outros in Atlanta so I'm assuming he will do this month's intros/outros in Atlanta as well."* - helenbaby

The BIG question is "Will Ben be on "Robert's Set" or on "Ben's Set"?"

I am guessing he will be on the traditional evening set - fireplace and all. But it might have been cool to see "Ben's Loft" re-lit to give the effect of it being night instead of the bright, daytime look that his set always has.

And I fully expect some of Ben's humor about being there on that set to occassionally creep into his intros all month. At least I hope TCM lets Ben be Ben even in such an unexpected situation and his new surroundings.

Kyle In Hollywood

(forgiveness, I just can't resist)

BOOOOO!!!! HISS! (Rotten tomato), (rotten tomato. )

The Mank is rank! Long live the Wizard of Os!*

*- or anyone else who has an ounce of charisma and the actual credentials to be there.

> Okay. Thanks for the info...sounds like he has a busy itinerary!

As noted in another thread (perhaps), Ben is also on the road acting as host of the various Philharmonic "Movies and Music" dates that Robert O does each summer but due to his hiatus, is now unable to do.

Ben M graciously stepped up and from the sounds of things, is doing a good job.

> {quote:title=JonnyGeetar wrote:}{quote}(forgiveness, I just can't resist)

>

> BOOOOO!!!! HISS! (Rotten tomato), (rotten tomato. )

>

>

> The Mank is rank! Long live the Wizard of Os!*

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ** or anyone else who has an ounce of charisma and the actual credentials to be there.

If this hack didn't have that last name, he'd be unknown....How anyone can find Ben even remotely funny, or good looking...oh well...no offense...I'm sure some folks find Quasimoto quite masculine. que sera sera :)

> {quote:title=exapno wrote:}{quote}Oh please - credentials?? Considering the family BM grew up in, one thing you CAN'T question are his credentials......

under that logic, you would also assume that the Kardashian sisters would make a crack defense team for a murder trial or that Drew Barrymore would rock it as Camille or that George W. Bush would have made a basically competent, fiscally conservative, caretaker president not prone to taking risks.

Mankiewicz has written NO screenplays, published NO books, has NO column, or any writings of note (Unlike Osborne who has been a columnist of note for a loooong time.) He has a handfull of minor acting credits to his name and some pretty meager efforts as a producer (mostly stuff for The Young Turks who are styu-pid, and this comes from someone who tilts fairly far to the left.) He's directed nothing either. His one other claim to fame was BOMBING so bad as the replacement for Ebert and Roeper that the show was cancelled permanently after something like 15 episodes.

He has no charisma, he's not even attractive enough to validate his presence on the network, he regurgitates the imdb trivia entries for films and HE HAS NEVER GOTTEN BETTER AT THE JOB AFTER, WHAT?, SEVEN, EIGHT YEARS ON THE NET? It's the same reason Arli$$ ran on HBO for a jillion years even though no one cared: someone is doing someone's kid a favor,

Just let the damn movies play without introduction and save the money for buying some fresh titles so we don't have to sit through Picnic and North by Northwest nine times a year each.

So, to re-iterate: BOO! HISS! (rotten tomato) (pineapple) (another rotten tomato) (dead cat) (another rotten tomato)

ps- never realized his initials were BM, how apropos

pss- I will say that the SUTS line-up is excellent this year, so as to be a complete negative nancy.

Settle down, Johnny. Ben is just fine. Surely there are people more deserving of your contempt?

Even if I were to agree with the rest of what you say ( which I don't), I have to protest the comment about his "unattractivenss". As a heterosexual woman I think I'm more qualified to judge on this matter, and I think he's very attractive. Sexy, smart, and funny. And knows his movies.

In fact, I'm supposed to have a date with him sometime soon.

Jonny does seem to have the proverbial knot in the shorts, no?

I blame the failure of his version of At the Movies squarely on the shoulders of his partner, Ben Lyons. Now that's a guy who has no business reviewing films.

Love you Ben Mankewicz!!

> {quote:title=helenbaby wrote:}{quote}I blame the failure of his version of At the Movies squarely on the shoulders of his partner, Ben Lyons. Now that's a guy who has no business reviewing films.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the second part of your statement. In fact, Lyons has no business conducting interviews or being on television period, talk about riding coattails! (And some inn-teresting allegations about his being "on the take" have been made by some in the media.)

Then again, I think there are many critics to whom that applies.

Really though, I have the same issues with Rex "Myra Breckinridge" Reed and Roger "Beyond The Valley of The Dolls" Ebert (Pulitzer or no)...Exactly why are we supposed to take their word on anything, ever?

(Of course I am sure a lot of established screenwriters and directors would rather not be critics as it is not the part of the artist to publicly rip into other artist's work.) But I cite William Goldman as someone who has written films and has written about films in a witty, articulate, experienced and sane way. Bogdanavich too (no matter how you feel about the skud missile quality of his output.)

Edited by: JonnyGeetar on Aug 2, 2011 12:53 PM

I've been away all day. I come back and find these posts. I don't know if it is exactly Ben-bashing but a few comments did not seem very nice. It's easy to just fast-forward his wraparounds if you have recorded the program.

I think he's doing a fine job. He's a natural. He gets right down to the business of the film. I love that about him, no wasted words, the focus is on the films and filmmakers.

> {quote:title=ziggyelman wrote:}{quote}

> If this hack didn't have that last name, he'd be unknown....How anyone can find Ben even remotely funny, or good looking...oh well...no offense...I'm sure some folks find Quasimoto quite masculine. que sera sera :)

Quite the contrary. If he didn't have the last name he has, I'm sure he wouldn't be getting the derision he gets from a few people here.