Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ben tonight for SUTS

TopBilled

Ben is doing a fine job. It's only right that he fill in for Mr. Osborne this month and, hopefully, next month as well. He is just as much a part of TCM as Robert Osborne is.

While I defend anyone's right to disagree, cut the guy some slack. You're okay Benny!

Edited by: MovieGal53 on Aug 3, 2011 12:04 AM

> {quote:title=CineramaRick wrote:}{quote} It's interesting to see the different levels of jealousy and hostility (Mankiewicz) brings out in some of the posters to this thread.

Oh no, it's just me. I'm in a very, very small minority of people who dislike the Mank with intensity. This is pure hypothesis on my part, but if you took a poll of all regular TCM viewers (and we must number in the hundreds) the results would be:

2%- loathe and despise Ben

20%- I like Ben

77%- Oh, that guy? I guess he's all right- but what's the deal with that ****** 1973 version of Tom Sawyer being on all the time?

(with a one percent margin of error.)

Keep in mind, this is pure hypothesis on my part. Lord knows I've been wrong before.

I have no way of knowing if this is true, or a joke by Mankiewicz, or not, but an individual that I trust told me that she and her husband were at a restaurant where Ben Mankiewicz and his wife were, and that Mankiewicz and wife were laughing and bragging to their dinner guests that they create ids on the TCM message boards to promote Ben, as he does not have many employment options available outside of TCM.

After reading this thread, my feeling is that this may actually be the case.

Mankiewicz is described by many I encounter to be a TURN OFF and a detriment to TCM. These include a wide range of people, male and female, from all different kinds of backgrounds.

Some people have told me that they are disappointed in TCM for not hiring a female or minority host, and granting special favor to Mankiewicz because of his relatives.

TCM did some bumpers featuring TCM fans talking about why they like classic movies, or attended the Festivals. They were interesting and informed people, and quite appealing.

I would love to see TCM taking advantage of Mr. Osborne's vactation by offering some diversity and allowing some of these fans (men, women, minorities) to guest host instead of Ben Mankiewicz.

I have no way of knowing if this is true, or a joke by Mankiewicz, or not, but an individual that I trust told me that she and her husband were at a restaurant where Ben Mankiewicz and his wife were, and that Mankiewicz and wife were laughing and bragging to their dinner guests that they create ids on the TCM message boards to promote Ben, as he does not have many employment options available outside of TCM.

I was at a restaurant and I heard a guy saying that he wants Ben's job, so now he's creating IDs to go on the message boards and proclaim what a poor job Ben is doing.

Creating ids sounds pretty Freudian to me.

It's actually the plural of id, and you know what Walter Pidgeon's id was responsible for in FORBIDDEN PLANET.

Those ids will take over the world.

Actually, , . I, misswonderly, am the one creating ids and fake screen names and sock puppets and ids all over the place about Ben Mankiewicz in order to draw attention to him. It's a plot I've cooked up in order to create chaos and division not only in TCM world but in the ACTUAL REAL WORLD.

YES, I, MISSWONDERLY, SAM SPADE'S EVIL FEMME FATALE, (aka brigid o'shaugnessy) AM PLOTTING TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD, VIA AN INGENEOUS BEN MANKIEWICZ IMITATION.

I had to solicit a little help from the Marxists. the liberals, the conservatives, the illiberals, the conservationists, and the Marx Brothers fan club, but I think I'm poised to take control.

TODAY , TCM - TOMORROW, THE WORLD forums.tcm.com AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 3, 2011 5:20 PM

after a post like that, it seems a bit of an anti-climax to edit .

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 3, 2011 5:25 PM

just ignore that annoying and bizarre tcm link, all joking aside, I have no idea what it's doing there.