Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ben tonight for SUTS


Recommended Posts

I thought Ben's intro for THE OLD MAID was great tonight. His intros are usually much shorter than R.O.'s, but they are jammed full of interesting information. He speaks quickly and does not waste words. I really like his style. He does a very good job in my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> I have no way of knowing if this is true, or a joke by Mankiewicz, or not, but an individual that I trust told me that she and her husband were at a restaurant where Ben Mankiewicz and his wife were, and that Mankiewicz and wife were laughing and bragging to their dinner guests that they create ids on the TCM message boards to promote Ben, as he does not have many employment options available outside of TCM.

 

And I have a cat named Bucky who was out on the town the other night with the other cats in his posse and he said he overheard you saying the same thing that you attribute to Ben M.

 

That's the great thing about gossip - you never have to prove it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}I thought Ben's intro for THE OLD MAID was great tonight. His intros are usually much shorter than R.O.'s, but they are jammed full of interesting information.

Yes I had absolutely no idea Davis and Hopkins did not get along, and was stunned to learn Davis didn't get along with Joan Crawford, who knew?

 

Really, Ben is just an absolute dream on toast! So polished, so learn-ed, such condescension! I would highly recommend his collection of film essays if there was one. Or his syndicated column...if he had one. Or his produced screenplay for...oh. Well: that film he direct...um, no. Or that one he produ...Oh. Nevermind.

 

Well, he was on The Practice once, wasn't he?

 

Anyway, thanks TCM for shelling out thousands of dollars to keep him on year after year: it is money well-spent. His unending charisma and Svengali-like charm pull in big numbers I am sure. Besides, I'm sure every film that needs to be preserved has been so, just let the rest rot on their volatile silver-nitrate stock. And who wants to free up the rights issues to countless Paramount and Universal titles we haven't seen in years? Why, if you don't know what you're missing- it doesn't really matter does it? I'm sure Beyond the Forest and Dangerous suck anyway.

 

Yay rah, woop-woop Mank.

 

ps- yes, I am familiar with the Abend decision.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> Anyway, thanks TCM for shelling out thousands of dollars to keep him on year after year: it is money well-spent. His unending charisma and Svengali-like charm pull in big numbers I am sure. Besides, I'm sure every film that needs to be preserved has been so, just let the rest rot on their volatile silver-nitrate stock. And who wants to free up the rights issues to countless Paramount and Universal titles we haven't seen in years?

 

 

JG,

 

As was pointed out in that other thread, TCM's hiring of Ben M does not mean that TCM has less money to spend on film preservation.

 

That's like comparing oranges and kumquats and serves no real purpose except to get folks riled up again.

 

Like any business, each department at TCM has its own budget and Ben is considered part of the talent budget.

 

By this point, I think everyone at TCM City is well aware that you don't like Ben so why keep belaboring that point?

 

We get your point. We really, really do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, what happened to that other thread? How come sometimes those threads just get locked, and other times they just disappear altogether? It's like it never existed.

Which is just as well, considering the way it was going. I just like getting a little communication from the board administrators/moderators when they decide to do that - otherwise, it's kind of Orwellian, controversial things are just...quietly removed.

As I say, no argument with the need to shut it down - but at least acknowledge that it existed.

 

Johnny, lzcutter's right - can you please just give it a rest about Ben Mankiewicz? We know you don't like him (understatement), and how many different ways do you want to say that?

Link to post
Share on other sites

> As was pointed out in that other thread, TCM's hiring of Ben M does not mean that TCM has less money to spend on film preservation.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> We get your point. We really, really do.

...And I get your point (that nothing about TCM ever warrants criticism and they never do anything wrong; that nothing about the net can ever be improved upon and that it's sunshine, lollipops and gumdrops all the way around) after two years of posting, trust me: I really, really do. Why don't you ignore me?, Lord knows I ignore you (I checked the thread before logging in today.)

 

It's my opinion he has no charisma, it's my opinion he doesn't draw people to the net. But the fact that he is unqualified for the job and that he is a superfluous waste of money is just, well, a fact. Every time I point that out, people are so quick with the kumquat/orange/apple analogy. It's starting to irk me.

 

It's like saying spending trillions on defense in no way hurts the budgets for education or the arts, *money is money, and the thousands they waste, er, spend, on retaining the Mank could and should be put to better use.*

 

But really, I think it's great that he's around- it gives all the qualified people who can't find jobs in the unending recession a ray of hope: that someone with zero credentials can get a great (albeit unnecessary) job and make way too much money at it.

 

ASIDE: I don't care for Baldwin at all, but I get that he has gobs of credentials, status and quite likely does draw people to the network who would otherwise not watch. I have no problem with his presence on the net and just use the mute button for his in and outros.

 

I'm like a cocker spaniel with a Gym sock people, I ain't dropping it. Then again, I don't think the Mank is going anywhere, anytime ever. (What other career options does he have, after all?)

 

ps- the other thread's vanishing annoys me too, but it was getting a little tacky. But when you gripe about The Mank, people always throw in unnessecary political crap and stupid, trashy, gossipy bullcrap that clouds the basic reason of my argument: the dude is a waste of space and money.

 

pss- I would take The Mank over Rex Reed. That make anyone happy to hear?

 

Edited by: JonnyGeetar on Aug 4, 2011 11:59 AM

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}Yes, I agree. I dont mind it being gone, but SHOW at least it existed. I post on other boards and they will show it locked or closed.........

Yep Hibi, I agree too!

 

In fact, I thought I did some of my "best work" in that thread when I went off on the OP and that jr kid!

 

(...but now it seems it's all Ben..err..been lost to posterity as so much dust in the wind)

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}Yes, I agree. I dont mind it being gone, but SHOW at least it existed. I post on other boards and they will show it locked or closed.........

I don't know if you (or anyone else) has ever noticed this or not, but sometimes certain posts in threads will disappear- and it's not because the original poster went in and deleted it. It's happened to some of my posts, even ones that weren't ranting about The Mank- one happened a coupla' years ago when I made a joke about...how...meander...ing... Eyes ...Wide .... Shut ....was in a Stanley Kubrick thread.

 

That cheesed me off.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Fedya wrote:}{quote}

> > I thought Ben's intro for THE OLD MAID was great tonight.

> It was better than the movie itself, which I didn't think was very good.

The weirdest thing about The Old Maid is the scene where the guy Bette is going to marry goes to her room to tell her it's off (because he think's she's sick, and she thinks it's because he knows of her illegitamate child.) They embrace and he says "I release yo..."

 

...and then it's the most abrupt fade-out in the history of the cinema. Something must have not worked about that scene for it to be cut so harshly- or maybe Miriam Hopkins pulled some strings. Hell, maybe she even snuck into the editing room and spilled some tonic water on the film as it had to be one of Bette's most demanding and dynamic scenes.

 

Either way, it's a very **** moment, given that Warner's was such a sharp studio and Edmund Goulding (he did direct it, right?) was a good director.

 

I think the film suffers for it greatly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a recording of OLD MAID, but did not ever watch it...so last night I checked out TCM's live broadcast.

 

I have to say it was a highlight of the week. I really enjoyed it and don't why I took so long to see it.

 

Hopkins and Davis work very well together. And it was fun to see a young William Lundigan as the young suitor.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=arnie13 wrote:}{quote}My gosh, all he does is introduce movies. Really, what's not to like.

This is my favorite response in this whole thread. The simplicity of the statement and of what Ben's job is rang so true that it really tickled my funny bone. Thank you, Arnie!

 

Count me as another fan of Ben's. I think he's doing a great job, as usual, and the set and suits are perfecto.

 

He totally won me over some years back when introducing Christmas In Connecticut and likening Barbara Stanwyck's character to Martha Stewart, only without the felony conviction, or something along those lines. Classic Ben.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd much rather have a host introducing the movies than Fox's bland, impersonal number countdoun when they introduce movies. I'd be happy if they expanded it 24/7.......

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=JonnyGeetar wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}Yes, I agree. I dont mind it being gone, but SHOW at least it existed. I post on other boards and they will show it locked or closed.........

> I don't know if you (or anyone else) has ever noticed this or not, but sometimes certain posts in threads will disappear- and it's not because the original poster went in and deleted it. It's happened to some of my posts, even ones that weren't ranting about The Mank- one happened a coupla' years ago when I made a joke about...how...meander...ing... Eyes ...Wide .... Shut ....was in a Stanley Kubrick thread.

>

> That cheesed me off.

If your post contained a quote that had a violation, your post would have been deleted. You may not have violated any rule, but the if the quote contains a violation, it would have been deleted.

 

Hope that may clear up the misunderstanding.

 

Thanks,

-Renee

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...