Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ben tonight for SUTS


TopBilled
 Share

Recommended Posts

Minor complaint with Ben's intro to EASY TO WED. He said it was a remake of a 1930s comedy starring William Powell and Jean Harlow. Would it have been that burdensome to mention that the 1930s comedy was the classic LIBELLED LADY and that Spencer Tracy and Myrna Loy also co-starred?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would it have been that burdensome to mention that the 1930s comedy was the classic LIBELLED LADY and that Spencer Tracy and Myrna Loy also co-starred?

 

I'm sure that had that info been up there on the teleprompter, Ben would not have had a problem reciting it. I don't want to be perceived as an apologist, but I imagine that these things were done on the quick - faster than usual - since it wasn't supposed to be Ben doing them in the first place.

 

But you are right, that kind of detail is conspicuous by its absence. Especially since the norm is to mention it and then plug that you can look up when it's going to play next on the web site.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ben also made it seem (at least to me) that Lucy had never really done comedy prior to EASY TO WED

 

Well, that's a bit of a stretch. She certainly was in films with comedy in them, such as *Room Service* and those *Annabel* films. Or *A Girl, a Guy and a Gob*? Even in the case of the Marx Brothers film where she was more or less the "straight man" one has to be able to play comedy to do that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}I'm sure that had that info been up there on the teleprompter, Ben would not have had a problem reciting it.

I am reminded, for some reason, of the time Ed Sullivan was doing a bit on live T.V. and the cue-cards had a line about "WW II." Ed read it off as "double-u, double-u, eye-eye."

 

ps- Lucy may have only been in Stage Door for seven minutes, but they are seven fantastic minutes.

pss- Stage Door is a comedy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ps- Lucy may have only been in Stage Door for seven minutes, but they are seven fantastic minutes.

pss- Stage Door is a comedy.

 

I like the funny part where the girl jumps out of the window. ;)

 

But seriously, that's one of those films that goes both ways so if they didn't consider it a comedy, I could understand the omission. I'm not the world's biggest *I Love Lucy* fan, so I didn't watch much yesterday.

 

I did watch *Stage Door* though. Give me a few minutes of Eve Arden in anything and I'll even tolerate Joan Crawford.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>I'm assuming that Ben meant that Easy to Wed was the first film where she really let loose the persona she eventually made famous on "I Love Lucy."

 

Yes, I think that is probably what Ben meant. She solidified that persona in the late 40s, on radio and in her Columbia comedies like MISS GRANT TAKES RICHMOND.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}

> I like the funny part where the girl jumps out of the window. ;)

Is it wrong that your comment made me laugh out loud? I see your point, but 95% of Stage Door is wisecrackapalooza, 5% is tragedy. Well, maybe 90/10...but Lucy's role is strictly comedic- every scene she's in, she's revved up to an 11- but it works for Lucy.

 

IMO, Stage Door is the best film of 1937- which was a real Crackerjack box of a year. And it is stunning how verite' it is, what with Hepburn playing Hepburn, Rogers playing Rogers, their animosity towards one another spilling into every scene, the dialogue from The Lake, Constance Collier as acting coach...I could keep going. It's like early, early reality TV, only the people have talent and the story is compelling and well-done...and there is one.

 

I am so glad we were spared The Facts of Life and Yours, Mine and Ours yesterday- thank you, TCM.

 

ps- Eve Arden was the best, but it is disturbing to imagine her bumping uglies with (real life husband) Danny Kaye.

pss- Hope I didn't ruin Eve Arden for you.

 

Edited by: JonnyGeetar on Aug 7, 2011 8:21 PM

 

Edited by: JonnyGeetar on Aug 7, 2011 8:27 PM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> ps- Eve Arden was the best, but it is disturbing to imagine her bumping uglies with (real life husband) Danny Kaye.

 

Luckily for many, that image wouldn't be real. Eve Arden had two husbands, neither were Danny Kaye.

 

The first one was Ned Bergen and the one that stuck was Brooks West.

 

Danny Kaye's only wife was Sylvia Fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}I'm not the world's biggest *I Love Lucy* fan, so I didn't watch much yesterday.

I guess you know we're in the minority, but I agree...I'm not a Lucy fan either. Just never got the big deal about her. She's okay in a lot of the old movies, but too often annoying on her TV shows, especially with that obnoxious crying thing she'd do.

One good thing about Lucy day finally being over is that hopefully now TCM will give a rest to that promo in which Carol Burnett talks about how great Lucy was. That thing is doubly annoying for folks who also don't care for Carol Burnett.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=JonnyGeetar wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}

> > I like the funny part where the girl jumps out of the window. ;)

> Is it wrong that your comment made me laugh out loud?

No!

That's a great line!

Since I didn't think of it first I'm glad someone else did. Good one!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am so glad we were spared The Facts of Life and Yours, Mine and Ours yesterday- thank you, TCM.

 

Or *The Magic Carpet*. That's the one that Harry Cohn threw at her, hoping she would break her contract, but she went ahead and did it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That thing is doubly annoying for folks who also don't care for Carol Burnett.

 

I have an even lower tolerance for Carol Burnett than I do for Lucy. At least Lucy had a number of varied roles in her pre-TV era that show her talents, I just never got into the TV show as I found it as repetitious as something like *Three's Company* - s show that Lucy once hailed in an interview. She even had John Ritter on the first episode of her last series.

 

I do make the exception for the *I Love Lucy* episode that has her doing the mirror routine with Harpo Marx. It shows off her skill much more than her whining and crying.

 

 

One thing that I do like about that Burnett/Ball promo is very fleeting. There is a photo of Burnett and the cast of the play "Once Upon a Mattress." In that shot I can see actor Joseph Bova who played the prince. I get nostalgic seeing that as Bova, even prior to that play, was the host of the WABC Little Rascals telecasts and called himself "Uncle Joe Bova."

 

 

There's not a heck of a lot of film footage for the man out there, but seeing his face instantly has me sitting there watching the old shorts and then dashing to first grade. The show aired 8-830am, I was lucky that my school was right across the street.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> Luckily for many, that image wouldn't be real. Eve Arden had two husbands, neither were Danny Kaye.

From wikipedia.org:

After Kaye and his wife became estranged,^[[12]|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Kaye#cite_note-TV-11]^^[[67]|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Kaye#cite_note-66]^^[[68]|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Kaye#cite_note-67]^ he was allegedly involved with a succession of women, though he and Fine never divorced.^[[69]|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Kaye#cite_note-68]^^[[70]|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Kaye#cite_note-69]^ The best-known of these women was actress Eve Arden.

 

So you see, I was only partly wrong, but I forgot that you're always right. Ever get nosebleeds living at the top of the mountain?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}I'm not the world's biggest *I Love Lucy* fan, so I didn't watch much yesterday.

> I guess you know we're in the minority, but I agree...I'm not a Lucy fan either. Just never got the big deal about her. She's okay in a lot of the old movies, but too often annoying on her TV shows, especially with that obnoxious crying thing she'd do.

 

I'm not a big Lucy fan, either. I watched her when I was a kid, and liked her well enough. But, as an adult, I don't care for her TV character. I do think she was very talented, and made some good films. Like Clore, I also like the Lucy/Harpo ep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > > {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}I'm not the world's biggest *I Love Lucy* fan, so I didn't watch much yesterday.

> > I guess you know we're in the minority, but I agree...I'm not a Lucy fan either. Just never got the big deal about her. She's okay in a lot of the old movies, but too often annoying on her TV shows, especially with that obnoxious crying thing she'd do.

> I'm not a big Lucy fan, either. I watched her when I was a kid, and liked her well enough. But, as an adult, I don't care for her TV character. I do think she was very talented, and made some good films. Like Clore, I also like the Lucy/Harpo ep.

I agree about the Harpo episode. That's the only time I'd intentionally tune in to any TV show of Lucy's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...