Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
unclecharlie

"Gritty" films from the '70s starring NYC (and quite often, Roy Scheider)

In the past year, I've come to the realization that I absolutely love movies from the '70s that were filmed on the streets of New York City. They are usually gritty dramas such as:

The French Connection

The Seven-Ups

Marathon Man

Taxi Driver

These are just off the top of my head. I don't know what it is about these movies but I can watch them over and over. It might be the clothes or the cars or the signage on the streets and buildings. Or all of the above. Maybe you can list some of your faves so I can look for ones I may not have seen.

Thanks,

UC

There's also..,.

The Super Cops

Badge 373

Across 110th Street

Night of the Juggler

Shaft

Panic in Needle Park

The Hot Rock

I believe such movies were creating a substantial new subgenre to the extent that they were able to lend a certain cache to movies such as *The Hot Rock* (1972) and *Cops and Robbers* (1973) which parodied them.

*You're a Big Boy Now* was made in 1967

*Midnight Cowboy* was made in 1969

so, they are just before the 70s, but very NYC, and gritty.

The Anderson Tapes (1971) is a heist film starring Sean Connery & Dyan Cannon. Has a lot of cool location NYC scenes.

I always thought The Warriors made New York look more surreal and kind of mythic, (it was based on a Greek play, I should know which one I have an English degree.)

I'd definitely second clare's recommendation of Panic In Needle Park, a heroin movie shot on location on Broadway's upper west side, which was also Al Pacino's first leading role. It plays fairly often on the Fox Movie Channel, and it's as gritty a role as Pacino ever had.

Panic In Needle Park. Rosemary's Baby are NY pix Hollywood made a new hollywood by filming in NY but there were too many truths pouring out because of not filming there for decades. By 1980 Hollywood was boycotting NY the place of its greatest titles.. Filming in Toronto & Vancouver.